IGNORED

Hard reset - sell the assets and rebuild

BLRed

I think that we all need to get used to the idea that transfer fees are slowly disappearing from football at this level.  It will become standard for players to be signed for free, to be paid a wage for say three years, and to leave at the end of the contract or be re-signed based on their then market value.  The only exception being younger players who make an impression.

Based on what is known so far the carrying value of the squad would have been under £10 million at the end of 2022, and probably less than £5 million at the end of 2023.  The 2020 and 2021 figures were £25 million and £14 million respectively. Think of all that capital not tied up in the business.

40 minutes ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

I do think with Weimann the stars aligned a little for us. Firstly the fact that it was peak pandemic and clubs had significantly reduced revenue. Secondly he'd come back from a long term injury that season which created some uncertainty about his continued ability to perform given the physicality of the fane. Thirdly we must remember that his time with us up to that point, whilst I think he was a very good player for us, he had not reached the hights that he did last season. Therefore I do think that it is probably more difficult to do deals like that now, the exception being Kalas maybe as he is injured and has not been standout for us over the last year or so. Having said that, it'd have to be a hell of a paycut. At a rumoured £25k pw, I'm not sure I'd want to pay more than half that going forward. 

He had another offer, we got it over the line by giving him 3 years when Stoke wouldn’t budge from 2.

We often highlight the calls we got wrong, (I certainly do), this was one that was criticised on here but was massively right.

Stoke have made even worse decisions than us, according to the Swansea forum Joe Allen, a West Wales boy & Swansea fan, now back “home” was on £57k a week with them last season.

They released him, saved all those wages but last year balked at signing Weimann,

Unlucky.

Edited by GrahamC

5 minutes ago, Hxj said:

I think that we all need to get used to the idea that transfer fees are slowly disappearing from football at this level.  It will become standard for players to be signed for free, to be paid a wage for say three years, and to leave at the end of the contract or be re-signed based on their then market value.  The only exception being younger players who make an impression.

Based on what is known so far the carrying value of the squad would have been under £10 million at the end of 2022, and probably less than £5 million at the end of 2023.  The 2020 and 2021 figures were £25 million and £14 million respectively. Think of all that capital not tied up in the business.

Yep…and relatively tiny amortisation cost to boot too…unlike the years of £12-14m each year.

I think we just need to somehow stay up this season.  Looks like we aren't any better at the back, so if we start selling the likes of Semenyo and Weimann then we are back to how we ended the 2012/13 season 10 years ago - League 1.

For those out of contract I cannot see anyone coming in for the likes of Bentley, Kalas, Wells, Dasilva, Massengo etc because of the salaries we indulged them under Mark Ashton - they won't get better anywhere else so wouldn't surprise me if we have another Diedhiou situation with all of them where they are looking to gamble on getting a big signing on fee to make up their lower wages somewhere else. This also does make me question how they will be committed to a relegation dog fight this winter.  We also haven't heard anything from the club on renewing any of them (apart from Massengo)

If we do cash in on Scott or Semenyo I also have grave concerns about NP ability to attract and bring in adequate replacements.   

Edited by AG City
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AG City said:

I think we just need to somehow stay up this season.  Looks like we aren't any better at the back, so if we start selling the likes of Semenyo and Weimann then we are back to how we ended the 2012/13 season 10 years ago - League 1.

I don't want to sound pessimistic and overall I am not- I think we will stay up and keep minimum one of Weimann and Semenyo but anyway...

There is potentially one worrying parallel with that season although still early. As I recall in the first 3 months probably of 2012/13 we had little problem with scoring goals...occasionally too we would score 3s and 4s later in the season- the defence?? The departure after initial impact of the loanee Danns- none of that helped.

From memory in that 1st 3 months...

1. 4 vs Crystal Palace
  2. 4 vs Cardiff
  3. 3 vs Blackburn
  4. 2 vs Watford
  5. 2 vs Peterborough
  6. 2 vs Leeds
  7. 2 vs Bolton
  8. 3 vs Burnley

Have I missed any- yet numbers 3 and 4 were at home- at home and we lost both. Edit: Also lost to Leeds- 10  sorry 8 goals for in 3 home games and zero points??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Notts Forest a City and fan base simular to ours, bottom of the championship not long ago, now....................JUST DO WHAT THEY HAVE DONE.

Poor manager selection has got us here and by someone who has repeated it many times.

We need to not settle for the status quo and the forever re-builds, a change of leadership at the top is needed to inject some life back in our club.

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

Notts Forest a City and fan base simular to ours, bottom of the championship not long ago, now....................JUST DO WHAT THEY HAVE DONE.

Poor manager selection has got us here and by someone who has repeated it many times.

We need to not settle for the status quo and the forever re-builds, a change of leadership at the top is needed to inject some life back in our club.

How to re-write history in one post!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gl2 said:

And there we all were thinking that the hardest job would be finding a buyer for Wells...........!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Firstly if we don't sell Scott and Semenyo now we will be forced to sell them for a discount when they get closer to the end of their contract.

So let's say we do sell, how would we attract some quality players within our wage structure considering we are a struggling team close to the bottom of the table. My fear is that we would make a snap decision and end up with yet another journeyman looking for a retirement plan.

Yes or two right backs signed and doesnt get played.

Edited by Cityboy1954

On 15/08/2022 at 15:23, ExiledAjax said:

Scott signed a four year contract last August. He's contracted with us until the end of the 2024/25 season. I assume we've the standard 1 year extension option as well. We will be well compensated when he leaves (not £25-30m, but enough).

Semenyo is the one who could go this summer. We will sell for enough £££...whatever that amount is.

Ah that makes me more comfortable at least. I mean in my eyes Scott is our real chance for a big sale. 

Semenyo I like and he's improved so much but when he gets into good positions I still don't think "this'll be a goal",  he just doesn't seem clinical enough at his finishing. He'll be a big loss but in all honesty losing Weimann would be far more devastating atm. 

Either way I don't think we should be looking to sell up unless we have no other choice, we just need to improve on recruitment. We've made some decent buys in the preseason IMO, we're just missing the right formation and a solid deep midfielder

• Like 1