IGNORED

Luton Town home match day thread

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I guess the game has become non contact then... honestly he has a trailing foot, studs are down and made contact with the ball, aggression in a challenge isn't reason alone for a red. The challenge was fair but too aggressive means the most it should be is a yellow.

Pearson had no complaints about the red so maybe it was a red ! 

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Great team performance where every player put a shift in. I think the red is a little harsh but its not worth appealing as its a close call that would likely see the equivalent of 'umpires call' in cricket. Clean sheet is a real bonus. 

Think it was a marginal one. If it hadn’t been for the reaction just a yellow. Freeman should have gone for the push too.

27 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

No chance

What goes against him , besides the actual challenge , is the intent 

As soon as he lost the ball (Probably a foul) you can see him turn in angry mode and what was coming

Agreed. I thought he was going to be sent off about two seconds before he actually made the tackle: I could almost see the red mist in his eyes from the Dolman.

Freeman should have gone too, mind. No excuse at all for barging a player, off the ball, well after the whistle has gone.

• Like 3

Really good performance from City, and a fully deserved win. We were the better side throughout the game and managed it well after we went down to 10 men. The whole team played their part but I thought Massengo really stood out  

I didn’t get a good view of the sending off and haven’t seen the highlights so I can’t comment on that, but in the few minutes leading up to it the ref seemed to lose control of the game after not giving the penalty (looked like a clear one from where I was sitting) and then it looked like a foul on a City player wasn’t given. 

57 minutes ago, downendcity said:

He must have just "run around a lot" tonight then!

Just seen him running down the hard shoulder of the M5

Stopped and asked if everything was ok and did he need a lift

He explained he was just running home , ‘warming down’

On Sunday Man Utd’s 11 ran a total of 96.2km

Tonight Andi Weimann ran 65km

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Admin
1 hour ago, TRL said:

I think the one thing we should mention  and I know it's a cliche  fine margins, tonight the one touch football generally paid off. To be fair we have approached other games the same way  but the accuracy and control has not been quite there  once a few players make the correct pass up the confidence levels go. That is all we have really been missing this season.

Hopefully as confidence grows from performances like this, the passing we saw tonight becomes the norm, leading to more good wins and more confidence :D

Just back from a very enjoyable night at Ashton Gate That was much more like it, very entertaining.

And what a strange and rare feeling getting to 90 minutes, the board goes up and we’re more than a goal up. Still didn’t feel 100% like we were over the line but Luton were so poor in front of goal it was as relaxed I’ve been at 90 minutes for a few years. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

No question Sykes was a red in my opinion, I also called it straight away like others but.... wasn't the penalty shout on Atkinson in the previous phase of play? If we could actually get that, Sykes doesn't even make that challenge!

I’m not 100% on whether the Atkinson incident was a penalty, but I think that was one of three or four occasions in the few minutes before the goal when City felt the ref wasn’t giving us decisions we could/should have got, culminating in the challenge on Sykes. I’d have felt like kicking someone by then, too - which is not to excuse Sykes, but might help explain why he reacted the way he did.

9 minutes ago, Ian M said:

No question Sykes was a red in my opinion, I also called it straight away like others but.... wasn't the penalty shout on Atkinson in the previous phase of play? If we could actually get that, Sykes doesn't even make that challenge!

Very true.

But also...if Frank Fielding had just stayed on his line against wolves, we would be in the Premier league now and wouldn't have been been playing Luton tonight, we would never even have signed Mark Sykes, and so he definitely wouldn't have made the challenge. 

Still it did. Should have known better. Let's hope he learns from it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
Just now, cellist said:

Very true.

But also...if Frank Fielding had just stayed on his line against wolves, we would be in the Premier league now and wouldn't have been been playing Luton tonight, we would never even have signed Mark Sykes, and so he definitely wouldn't have made the challenge. 

Still it did. Should have known better. Let's hope he learns from it.

Please nobody mention that again. My PTSD is bringing me out in hives...

6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Watford at home around xmas years ago. I seem to remember being in the ground when we heard it was off. Notts County one night match going way back, abandoned. Or was that an afternoon?

If it was the one where the ball landed from 100 feet up and stopped dead still in a puddle and it was impossible to actually pass the ball along the ground  then yes, being a cynical B***ard any games that have ever been called off always seem to be in the second half when the club don't have to reimburse you, or is that just me :laugh:? 

• Like 1

That's all I want from my football team.

Playing good football, goals, and a win.

Not bothered about a new badge that looks like a robin on a unicycle.

Not bothered about what you call the training ground. 

Not even that bothered about which division you are in. You still play half your games in the same stadium.

Goals, good football, and a win. That'll do me. 

12 hours ago, ZideredInZouthville said:

He went through the back of Freeman? 

Was a bit if a scissors action wasn’t it?  Forceful, yep, and in the modern game just breaching the line for a red card I’m sad to say.  The issue is we don’t get the same decisions back…

12 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

A few loose dead ball deliveries. But open play passing has been generally back to his best yeh.

There was one bit second half, a really simple example where he received a pass left of centre, with his opponent sensing a heavy touch and a chance to clatter him.  No need to worry, perfect control, simple pass out to Dasilva, opponent didn’t get close to him.  It was just so simple, but high quality…and the little things that with other players receiving that pass that you can’t take for granted.

12 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

**** off Luton, **** off Freeman and **** right off tonight’s clown with the whistle…

You missed **** off Nathan Jones

12 hours ago, MarcusX said:

City have been fantastic tonight.

defending has been solid, we’ve passed the ball well and quickly when needed. At one point we held possession for what just have been 30 passes? Felt like a good couple of minutes.

Reaction to the red has been perfect, we’ve kept our heads. Pearson made the right changes and shored us up.

Alex Scott is special, enjoy him while we’ve got him because he won’t be here next season at this rate.

and to top it off an incredible reaction save from Bentley there!

The second goal was 37 passes and over 90 seconds possession according to Louise Gould.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You missed **** off Nathan Jones

"I picked the wrong team. That first half, the way we defended, it was unacceptable. We tried taking shortcuts and we didn't do the basics well and it cost us the game.

"That's as poor a performance as we've had in a long time*. We were second best all over and that doesn't normally happen to us.

"We've got a lot of injuries and some players are still bedding into the team. But we were just really, really poor. We couldn't have got any worse."

*Last week against Newport was their worst performance ever according to him (though mysteriously also all down to one unnamed player). So not really the worst in a long time then Nathan.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The second goal was 37 passes and over 90 seconds possession according to Louise Gould.

Comes from a throw in though? Are we now saying that throw in isn't a break in a passing pattern? Beautiful goal, but not sure I buy that as the end of a 37 pass sequence. Or was it in reference to the build up to the Massengo shot a little after the second goal? I think that was a long unbroken pass sequence. Whatever I guess, two lovely bits of football.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was one bit second half, a really simple example where he received a pass left of centre, with his opponent sensing a heavy touch and a chance to clatter him.  No need to worry, perfect control, simple pass out to Dasilva, opponent didn’t get close to him.  It was just so simple, but high quality…and the little things that with other players receiving that pass that you can’t take for granted.

I'm picking hairs criticising the deadball delivery. Just remember a couple of free kicks that went straight out. Generally I had him up there as potential MOTM.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Comes from a throw in though? Are we now saying that throw in isn't a break in a passing pattern? Beautiful goal, but not sure I buy that as the end of a 37 pass sequence. Or was it in reference to the build up to the Massengo shot a little after the second goal? I think that was a long unbroken pass sequence. Whatever I guess, two lovely bits of football.

yes, you might be right.

I'm picking hairs criticising the deadball delivery. Just remember a couple of free kicks that went straight out. Generally I had him up there as potential MOTM.

Yeah, I was just mentioning how the simplicity of a well executed touch gives him all that time and space.  I just love little things like that.

• Like 1