IGNORED

Lack of Penalty Decisions

barney999

20 minutes ago, barney999 said:

Any think that the lack of penalties awarded to us has something to do with Nige managing us, refs holding it against us as they know what he is like in regards to complaining running them down?

Really wouldn’t surprise me

• Like 1

It’s beyond ridiculous now especially when you consider some of the truly woeful decisions that have gone against us, in my opinion in our first four league games we should have already had two penalties, a penalty against us that shouldn’t of been and at least one, possibly two opposition players sent off

I actually thought the ref was having a good game until the sending off. No question Sykes had to go, but Freeman should’ve seen red too. It didn’t look a pen on Atkinson to me, but I was miles away from it in the old Block B of the Dolman! 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Was it Freeman that flattened Sykes?

Yes. Started the whole melee really. You can normally tell when a tackle goes in if it's bad because there is a huge reaction from the opposition players but there didn't really seem to be until Freeman kicked it all off

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

For what it's worth Nige had no complaints over the red card but was furious about Freeman staying on and Atkinson not getting a penalty.

He was right on all of those, the ref lost control just before the sending off, the Luton 11 was repeatedly wrestling & fouling off the ball & he did nothing.

He allowed him to foul Sykes who lost it & went in two footed but how Freeman gets a yellow for barging him to the ground I have no idea.

• Like 2

I’ll bang on this drum forever. CIES looked at penalty frequency across the biggest ~630 teams in Europe. We came comfortably bottom, and since this report about 5 months ago, we’ve had 0. Something isn’t right, the EFL need to stop protecting these disgraceful refs and ask them the bloody question. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I’ll bang on this drum forever. CIES looked at penalty frequency across the biggest ~630 teams in Europe. We came comfortably bottom, and since this report about 5 months ago, we’ve had 0. Something isn’t right, the EFL need to stop protecting these disgraceful refs and ask them the bloody question. 

That's mental!

I do think VAR would have ruled in our favour countless times.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2021/wp364/en/

Link to prove I’m not spouting rubbish. Yea I agree, I’m pro-VAR because of this nonsense.

It also stands out that the majority of the clubs in the Championship are at the bottom end of that list. It seems on average that Championship match Ref's are the most reluctant to award penalties in Europe. It's very bizarre.

17 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

It also stands out that the majority of the clubs in the Championship are at the bottom end of that list. It seems on average that Championship match Ref's are the most reluctant to award penalties in Europe. It's very bizarre.

Maybe it’s because Championship referees are not much cop compared to the rest of the European leagues included. They either give ones that aren’t or miss ones that are, or some do both with amazing frequency!

To have just 1 penalty awarded for every 91 scoring chances is beyond ridiculous. And you only have to go 20 places up the table out of roughly 600 teams in Europe to find the team that gets awarded penalties twice as often as us based on minutes played. Only 4 penalties awarded in 2.5 seasons would suggest something more than random chance is going on. No wonder Pearson is complaining about officiating standards…

• Like 2

• Admin
14 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2021/wp364/en/

Link to prove I’m not spouting rubbish. Yea I agree, I’m pro-VAR because of this nonsense.

That table is outdated. We have played 25 Championship fixtures since then without a penalty. We have moved from one penalty ever 1834 minutes to one every 2115 minutes as a result.

Our last penalty was 33.5 matches ago (3015 minutes) when Chris Martin scored on the stroke of half time in our 3-2 defeat at Coventry.

• Like 2

Perhaps not a surprise over the period from LJ stuttering then struggling up until well into Nige's time during which we would not infrequently have two or three attempts on goal, sometimes fewer, little possession in general, next to none in the opposition third,  were dreadful to watch, and presumably spent little time in the opposition box in possession of the ball?

But seeing as we were 7th, was it?, top scorers last season, you think some of that must've changed.

Believe it to be 1 in 85 games now in the League.

Put in a different way, 1st November 2020 to most recent game- 16th August 2022 v Luton, 1 penalty in the League.

No, apologies- got that stat wrong as I surely have...1 in 85 is crazy! Just checked and it's 1 in 87!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Believe it to be 1 in 85 games now in the League.

Put in a different way, 1st November 2020 to most recent game- 16th August 2022 v Luton, 1 penalty in the League.

No, apologies- got that stat wrong as I surely have...1 in 85 is crazy! Just checked and it's 1 in 87!!

Have we had an ordinary or expected number of incidents that could (or should) reasonably have been given as a penalty in that same period? Does the data show that at all? It's kind of important if we're checking to see whether we are getting our fair share.

@Ian M same question.

Edited by ExiledAjax

• Admin
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Have we had an ordinary or expected number of incidents that could (or should) reasonably have been given as a penalty in that same period? Does the data show that at all? It's kind of important if we're checking to see whether we are getting our fair share.

The average Championship side in the last 4 seasons, receives 5.27 penalties per 46 games. In 87 games that is 9.97 penalties.

• Thanks 1