IGNORED

Man of the match?

Porto Red

Every player was excellent tonight. There's a case for all of them. 

Nice to see the likes of Naismith, Massengo and Vyner make positive strides tonight. All three was superb for the full 90 minutes. 

Even the subs came on and made impacts. 

Joe Williams charging 40/50 yards to press, and makes a challenge. Love the aggression he has to his game. 

• Like 4

Sykes was indeed excellent. But for me if I had to pick one - and I don't but I'm going to pretend I'm forced to - Atkinson. Delightful in every third of the pitch. Naismith, Vyner, Dasilva, Scott, Massengo, Wells, Weimann, Conway, I could just name the entire squad and there'd be takers for each and every one tonight.

• Like 3

for me 4 players stood out Massengo, Vyner, Atkinson and Naysmith, but the whole team deserve an round of applause, a very good performance showing what you can do when you are in control, and what you can do in adversity.

Special mention to Bents who when called upon did brilliantly tonight, the save and follow up from Atkinson was fantastic near the end.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRL said:

for me 4 players stood out Massengo, Vyner, Atkinson and Naysmith, but the whole team deserve an round of applause, a very good performance showing what you can do when you are in control, and what you can do in adversity.

Special mention to Bents who when called upon did brilliantly tonight, the save and follow up from Atkinson was fantastic near the end.

Add Conway and Wiemann to that list too

Edited by bexhill reds

6 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Add Conway and Wiemann to that list too

I could do quite easily. Especially Andi who was asked to play in a variety of positions tonight. But those 4 i mention for me we top drawer, of course we may not have won without the two you mention Contributions tonight.

• Thanks 1

When I saw their front line of Adebayo and Morris I thought Naismith was going to be outmuscled and outran, but he dealt with them almost perfectly.

He was also very good on the ball. The reverse passes into midfield are a great way to turn into attack quickly.

6 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Sykes for me. What a player he looks. Was it a red? From the top of the lansdown I couldn’t tell.

Not sure, seen it back a few times, it wasn't  from behind as Freeman had his body angled to the side, the feet were not up, and I don't think it was two footed, it was however aggressive.  For me it wasn't a Red, but you can maybe understand why it was given, that said Freeman should probably have gone for raised hands, especially as he jumped up unhurt to shove Sykes.

Maybe it's just me comparing tackles from a different era 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Sykes for me. What a player he looks. Was it a red? From the top of the lansdown I couldn’t tell.

I’d say do - Was right in front of us, definitely late challenge & a red.

But surprised Freeman got away with a yellow for his violent conduct but I think Sykes might have made as be more of it to deflect from his tackle.

Apart from that Sykes was superb & really impressed by him so far.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Nigel Pearson said on the radio something like 'in my day that would be a good tackle'. I'd need to see it back, but I think a majority say it was a red. But then i guess we'd all say that the retaliation should have been a red.

• Like 1