IGNORED

Turning point?

HappyClapper

26 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

Calm down let’s be happy with the first win he’s right we have achieved nothing yet, promising start. Hopefully everyone pipes down about another cm now.

Our first 2 defeats were down to errors at the back

I’m completely calm. Just completely and utterly baffled with people on here that cannot, and never have been, able to see the bigger picture at our club and what’s been going on since Ashton’s reign. It’s embarrassing.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 4

I understand the OP and I do think it was a very good time to take 3 points , with the performance an added bonus

But it’s not a turning point , we weren’t crap before tonight , or a much better side now

We are very much a work in progress and I foresee some bumps and setbacks through the season and probably for another 12-18 months yet

The secret, for me ,  is to ride the waves , and enjoy games like tonight , and the emergence of three of our ‘own’ talented young  players , the relentless effort and professionalism of a certain Mr Weimann , and a manager who is gradually and methodically trying to stabilise a mess rather than polishing his own ego

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’m completely calm. Just completely and utterly baffled with people on here that cannot, and never have been, able to see the bigger picture at our club and what’s been going on since Ashton’s rein. It’s embarrassing.  

Anyways @lenred- welcome back after a 5 month absence from posting comments on here and glad you're still absolutely as polarised about NP as you always were- there's no middle ground for you and I do love consistency in such a volatile forum. Hopefully you'll be able to overcome your embarrassment and post some more?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

That is now the partnership I want to enjoy every game

The thought of having Conway, Semenyo, Weimann, Scott and Massengo in the team together is in equal measure

1) scary as it sounds a little bit lightweight

2) enticing as the pressing would be the kind of thing that would give defences nightmares

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

I hope we see Semenyo and TC together. Monster pressing, pace, strength, goals etc

Bentley

Naismith Atkinson Dasilva

HNM            Williams

Scott

Weimann                      Semenyo             

Conway             Wells

Edited by MattWSM
typo
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cityal said:

The thought of having Conway, Semenyo, Weimann, Scott and Massengo in the team together is in equal measure

1) scary as it sounds a little bit lightweight

2) enticing as the pressing would be the kind of thing that would give defences nightmares

Well up for that!

It’s not a turning point as such, because we played largely that well against Hull and Wigan in the first halves of those games. That’s why the reaction to performances were so ridiculous. That result tonight was always on the cards, we’ve had brilliant patterns of attacking play all season so far. You don’t take the Lead in 5 straight games by fluke. 

Difference tonight is we manage to get a second before being ****** over by a referee. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Felt like a huge night to me. Not only the way we pressed and moved the ball, but the resolute defending and the way we stood together. Also a connection with the crowd who enjoyed the boys giving it everything.

Even the sending off may have helped as it really helped to foster that togetherness.

Lots of fantastic performances.

A brave selection that some ripped into before the game. Well done NP. Really looking forward to Sunday. COYR.

Still on hold, so on Robinstv but seemed like a really good atmosphere…wish I’d been there.

Cabt wait to start re-reading the Match Day Thread….the comments at 6:45 when the team was announced was so typical.

3 hours ago, cityexile said:

Important not to over react to a defeat or to a win.

It was Luton at home. It was an important win. What was more encouraging than the actual score, welcome as it was, was the nature of the performance. Progressive. Playing with some real purpose. 

Said it after first two games, let’s see where we are after ten matches. 

Indeed, but there are some who can’t help their agendas.  I genuinely think one or two will be gutted tonight.

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think Andi Weimann has been brilliant for BCFC since he signed for us. The fact that he scoring so regularly is fantastic but is this down to NP? Why not mention Scott and Semenyo .... (also signed by Lee Johnson)

The last time he scored regularly was his very first batch of half a dozen games when he was played centre-forward…before a little while later, shunted out wide to accommodate Diedhiou as the main man.

LJ saw what he could do centrally, hey, he even played him in a pseudo-attacking midfield role v Luton (3-0) and Huddersfield (5-2) where he was everywhere, but he moved him back wide again.

Signed him as a striker and rarely played him there.

Now, if you want to give a bit of credit, give Dean Holden some for playing Weimann as a high-flying-eight in a 5122….but he only got a small numbers of games there before his ACL.

Weimann is a good player, but Nige deserves a bit of credit for the full transformation. Very churlish.

for info, Johnson didn’t sign Scott or Semenyo, he was the first team head-coach, and Brian Tinnion signed both.  So, you’re incorrect.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I understand the OP and I do think it was a very good time to take 3 points , with the performance an added bonus

But it’s not a turning point , we weren’t crap before tonight , or a much better side now

100% right….but those who knee-jerk based purely on results (especially defeats and even draws) will never earn. There is a strong overlap with those who said Massengo and Scott couldn’t possibly play as a CM pairing tonight, despite there actually being recent evidence they could do just that!

We are very much a work in progress and I foresee some bumps and setbacks through the season and probably for another 12-18 months yet

yep, just like Nige, don’t get too up with a win, don’t get too down with a defeat.  But it’s funny, that the knee-jerkers after a defeat are having a go at the knee-jerkers after a win.

The secret, for me ,  is to ride the waves , and enjoy games like tonight , and the emergence of three of our ‘own’ talented young  players , the relentless effort and professionalism of a certain Mr Weimann , and a manager who is gradually and methodically trying to stabilise a mess rather than polishing his own ego

Scott - just turned 19 

Conway - just turned 20

Massengo - just turned 21

I hope something can be done (on whatever side of the fence) to get him signed up for an extended stay here.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

7 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Calm down let’s be happy with the first win he’s right we have achieved nothing yet, promising start. Hopefully everyone pipes down about another cm now.

Our first 2 defeats were down to errors at the back

Apparently not, city have had a reply from the authorities to say Hulls penalty shouldn’t have been given and we should have had two. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Felt like a huge night to me. Not only the way we pressed and moved the ball, but the resolute defending and the way we stood together. Also a connection with the crowd who enjoyed the boys giving it everything.

Even the sending off may have helped as it really helped to foster that togetherness.

Lots of fantastic performances.

A brave selection that some ripped into before the game. Well done NP. Really looking forward to Sunday. COYR.

Agree. Not just because we won but that was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve been to for a long time. The work rate and attitude was fantastic 

Sets up Sunday nicely. Going to be a different kind of game though and we will see how resilient we really are 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MattWSM said:

Bentley

HNM            Williams

Scott

Weimann                      Semenyo             

Conway             Wells

Think every game would end up 7-7!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Worth remembering that Luton got a draw at AG last season and beat us at there place, besides getting in the play offs. 

Beating Luton is progress.

Great performance last night, but that isn’t the Luton of last year in all honesty, even though they have apparently made signings. Think they have only scored once this season & it showed. Would not be surprised if they struggle. COYR 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Think every game would end up 7-7!

Bentley    O'leary

HNM     Williams

Scott

Weimann            Semenyo             

Conway Wells

15 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Very well said @Sheltons Army

• Robin 1

16 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

That was a more complete and controlled performance than anything we’ve seen in the last two years. The fact that the sending off didn’t phase us was massive. Definitely a reason to be optimistic of better times ahead.

Up until the red for Sykesy, probably one of the most commanding performances since Man United, to be honest.

2 hours ago, MattWSM said:

Bentley    O'leary

HNM     Williams

Scott

Weimann            Semenyo             

Conway Wells

I see what you did there ?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Excellent post imo. I think you’re right about me classing it as a turning point. I was feeling a little giddy with the performance. The forward play, defensive resilience and togetherness was something I haven’t seen for a quite a while.

I am very pro Pearson and think he is turning round the tanker. It has taken longer than I hoped, but last night gave me a glimpse of what he is trying to produce for us on a consistent basis. The intensity and energy in our play reminded me of his Leicester team. We are not there yet, and there will be bumps for sure, but I felt like I had glimpsed into our future and it was brilliant. 

I am hopeful that performances like that will help turn some of the naysayers.

I may also have had a few beers.

Edited by HappyClapper
  • Like 2

Just now, HappyClapper said:

Excellent post imo. I think you’re right about me classing it as a turning point. I was feeling a little giddy with the performance. The forward play, defensive resilience and togetherness was something I haven’t seen for a quite a while.

I am very pro Pearson and think he is turning round the tanker. It has taken longer than I hoped, but last night gave me a glimpse of what he is trying to produce for us on a consistent basis. The intensity and energy in our play reminded me of his Leicester team. We are not there yet, and there will be bumps for sure, but I felt like I had glimpsed into our future and it was brilliant. 

I may also have had a few beers.

Good post too

As I said , I can see what you were aiming at with Turning point

I think there’s been spells in all games this season which has been bright and promising , just turning that into sustained periods or over a whole 90 min performance has been missing 

Last night was close to, or at least on its way to a 90 min performance , until thrown astray /confused by the red card  And 10 men

Theres disagreements about how we managed the 10 men scenario, but personally,  I felt we did it well / competently and actually went down in the plus column regarding the performance on the night.

I just hope that supporters understand that the performance is unlikely to just suddenly become the norm, certainly not for a while yet.

I believe we will progress and the spells in and across games will come more often but I don’t think it’s an easy transition to that level, but I really believe Pearson is producing a core and culture at the Club

I don’t think he’s a messiah or a tactical genius , but I do think he is a demander of standards and professionalism that should serve the Club well , post him.

I think he’s a ‘players’ manager (At least the ones who are one the bus’) and his core strength

I’ve said before , the fact that he has Andi Weimann (The best ‘professional’ we have IMHO, and one whose played at the top and an International) is totally one the bus’ and producing the best form of his career is a great sign IMO

To some extent I understand the frustration and impatience to progress at this level, (Maybe it just doesn’t come as a surprise or so impactive as the decades drift on for some of us !) but it’s really not a simple task , we’ve never been ‘ a force ‘  at this level especially with the squad a, financial situation and Club Culture he inherited.

I still believe he was absolutely the right appointment at the time , for the job that needed doing (one which many Head coaches / managers would have ducked) 

What Steve and Jon , and Richard Gould should be doing is building a Club behind Nigels tenure , with a plan for the club , post NP

People like Tins in the right post is a good start , and importance for continuity (It appears that Tins has a very good relationship and respect for NP which is very much a positive)

This is not a period of ‘wasted opportunity’ but a rebuild whilst conducting financial surgery ,

It remains as frustrating as ever being a City fan , but if sceptics can just take a few deep breaths and enjoy the good bits at present , long term I truly believe they will see the benefits

COYR

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

Good posts @HappyClapperand @Sheltons Army

As you both say, there have been positives in every game so, unfortunately in most / all there have been negatives…but we’ve played some good stuff in each.  It’s about doing that more throughout the 90 on a more regular basis.  Last night really clicked, but it is very unlikely to be the “new norm”.  We have a group of players that in the main aren’t renowned for their consistency.  In some cases it’s the youngsters who are more consistent than some of the senior players, which is unusual.

Its a bit of a ride, a bumpy one too…but I see the intention.

5 hours ago, swanker said:

Are you watching?

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Marina's Rolls Royce
  • OTIB Supporter

We are the car windshield travelling the M4 at 70mph . Cardiff are the unfortunate fat juicy bug flying straight at us  about to get splattered.

We are unstoppable and will leave more teams in our wake in our journey to the top. Another easy game.

Roasted welsh  lamb with gurt mint Source for Sunday supper.

SO @swanker-- what was YOUR prediction or can  you only sing when you're trying to save face???

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Marina's Rolls Royce
  • OTIB Supporter

We are the car windshield travelling the M4 at 70mph . Cardiff are the unfortunate fat juicy bug flying straight at us  about to get splattered.

We are unstoppable and will leave more teams in our wake in our journey to the top. Another easy game.

Roasted welsh  lamb with gurt mint Source for Sunday supper.

SO @swanker-- what was YOUR prediction or can  you only sing when you're trying to save face???

Who’s singing? I’m extracting the urine out of you.