IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Living The Dream

Sheltons Army

Prior to this week, I wasn’t sure about Conway in the limited times I’d seen him. 
But his performances over the last week have been terrific and I’m looking forward to seeing more. 
Deserves to keep his starting place. 

• Like 5

Great runs, both wider and between the posts. Seems to have great intuition as when to go in on goal vs when to pull back out and offer himself back to goal - looks able to both poach and do a more rounded role. Plenty of pace and decent strength. Also like the attitude, can’t remember who (think Alex, Andi or Han), but someone lost the ball second half and were out of position, Tommy immediately sprinted back to cover and got a toe in. 

I’m definitely carried away and excited about him doubling Mitrovic’s tally from last season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Prior to this week, I wasn’t sure about Conway in the limited times I’d seen him. 
But his performances over the last week have been terrific and I’m looking forward to seeing more. 

Many on here dismiss players too quickly without thinking that they can be coached into being a better player or will improve with age and if they grow physically stronger.

It wasn't long ago that many were writing off Semenyo but look at him now.

Give 'em a chance! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

As a scout though I'm sure you appreciated that a player who turned 20 a week ago shouldn't be judged off a few substitute appearances?

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Many on here dismiss players too quickly without thinking that they can be coached into being a better player or will improve with age and if they grow physically stronger.

It wasn't long ago that many were writing off Semenyo but look at him now.

Give 'em a chance! 

37 minutes ago, DaveF said:

As a scout though I'm sure you appreciated that a player who turned 20 a week ago shouldn't be judged off a few substitute appearances?

Agree 100%. 
I just hadn’t seen very much of him. I hadn’t seen any of his games in the unders and so only seen a few minutes here and there in his first team appearances to go on - and up til last week I wouldn’t say he showed anything particular in those limited minutes. 
Now he’s been given his chance he’s taken it with both hands and I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t starting on Sunday. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Tommy Conway - Living The Dream
12 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Glad to see him play well but I wish the media team and fans would stop referring to him as TC makes me cringe, Conway is sufficient his a player not your mate

His close friends get to call him TC

Edited by Porto Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great for him, first League goal at AG- is it his first in the League too?

Definitely been a worthy starter last 3.

Scored at Millwall during the pandemic season, brilliant pass by Henri Lansbury.

Thought them playing with Woodrow and Clark as a pair of no10s with just Osho as the centre midfielder made life easier for us.  We knew we were gonna have to get around the nod downs / loose balls, and Massengo and Scott did that well.  Also Sykes and Dasilva got close to Vyner and Atkinson respectively and nipped loads of ball away from them.

But with the ball, as soon as anyone picked a pass through their “front four box” we basically had men over, that Osho didn’t know whether he was coming or going.  Not least with Weimann dragging him around.  Naismith in particular threaded some good balls through.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree 100%. 
I just hadn’t seen very much of him. I hadn’t seen any of his games in the unders and so only seen a few minutes here and there in his first team appearances to go on - and up til last week I wouldn’t say he showed anything particular in those limited minutes. 
Now he’s been given his chance he’s taken it with both hands and I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t starting on Sunday. 

In under 23 side he was a talker. Encouraging, advising, covering others in trouble.

The type of leader, we have been missing in our side through the years before Pearson arrived on the scene.

In some ways I wish he was a centre half or midfield controller. But I'll take him as an attacker as we may lose Semenyo in the not too distant future.

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree 100%. 

He looked a lot more mature in his game than those around him at u23 level imo, especially lately.

I've been saying for some time (years) that he had something about him which made him stand out - just needed the chance and a little run in the side to give him that confidence. I'm pretty sure Wells has helped him along.

As @Davefevs said, he seems to have put on some muscle and also looks a bit quicker this season as well. His fitness shouldn't be a problem as he was top in just about all measurements in pre-season as I understand it.

I'd also be disappointed if he isn't selected for Sundays game.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He looked a lot more mature in his game than those around him at u23 level imo, especially lately.

I've been saying for some time (years) that he had something about him which made him stand out - just needed the chance and a little run in the side to give him that confidence. I'm pretty sure Wells has helped him along.

As @Davefevs said, he seems to have put on some muscle and also looks a bit quicker this season as well. His fitness shouldn't be a problem as he was top in just about all measurements in pre-season as I understand it.

I'd also be disappointed if he isn't selected for Sundays game.

Thanks for the ‘bulking up’ comment, that’s interesting. I think that was one of doubts when I first saw him in the first team, he just looked skinny and weak and I thought that would hold him back. But as you say he looks a bit stronger, less waif like. This helps massively. 

• Like 1

The lads enthusiastic approach to the game is refreshing, his closing down of defenders makes him a nuisance and that’s good and also he don’t mind pulling the trigger which is what we’ve lacked , carry on young TOMMY GUNN and enjoy the game ?

tommy gun you ain’t happy less you got one

tommy Gunn scores a goal and the game is won 

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

The lads enthusiastic approach to the game is refreshing, his closing down of defenders makes him a nuisance and that’s good and also he don’t mind pulling the trigger which is what we’ve lacked , carry on young TOMMY GUNN and enjoy the game ?

He gives as good as he gets too…but of a “smiling assassin” about him.

Digressing slightly, although still on the subject of “a bit of an edge”…Alex Scott, is a competitive little sod, he doesn’t care who he goes in with.  Got “dirty bastard no1” v Cov - Martyn Waghorn, left him limping, worth the yellow card, got “dirty bastard no2 v Wigan - James McLean with two fantastic 50:50s one after the other.

It is things like this that guide me in thinking both have got what it takes.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He gives as good as he gets too…but of a “smiling assassin” about him.

Digressing slightly, although still on the subject of “a bit of an edge”…Alex Scott, is a competitive little sod, he doesn’t care who he goes in with.  Got “dirty bastard no1” v Cov - Martyn Waghorn, left him limping, worth the yellow card, got “dirty bastard no2 v Wigan - James McLean with two fantastic 50:50s one after the other.

It is things like this that guide me in thinking both have got what it takes.  

Let’s hope Dave 

Fantastic interview.  Watching our local lads come through the academy and putting in performances like Tonmy did on Saturday is what it's all about for me.  It's really means everything to him to get to where he has and boy does it come across.  Well done Tommy.

And also to hear NP recognise his hard work, character and commitment is really pleasing. 

Hopefully we'll see alot more him this season.  ?

• Like 1