IGNORED

Nige on SSN

Silvio Dante

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was dreadful stuff. If ever work was "phoned in", that was it.  Judging by Gav's comment, it still is.

On that subject, I recall a journalist friend of mine telling me that it was fairly common knowledge that Alan Hansen's Telegraph column often was "phoned in" literally, usually from the golf course or the clubhouse after his round. Occasionally if they got hold of him after he'd had a few drinks, the person in charge of transcribing it would pretty much have to make it up themselves as they couldn't get much sense out of him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

What, you think they are now likely to punish us by not giving decisions in our favour?

Do you seriously think they are that unprofessional?

It shouldn't make a damn bit of difference and if it did then Nige is absolutely correct in what he said... 

I support him and his comments, standing up for his players and the club.

Will we be able to even notice this....?!?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Even now he thinks the Newcastle player is called “Joel Linton” (I’m not making that up either).

It is one of those names though like "Lucatoni", that has you wondering what's so special about them that the commentator is using their full name. :)

30 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It is one of those names though like "Lucatoni", that has you wondering what's so special about them that the commentator is using their full name. :)

There are certain players where commentators always use their full name, and the only reason I can think of is it rolls off the tongue better. For example , Harley Dean or Luca Hoole, and the one that always stands out is Solly March.

Edited by The Horse With No Name

17 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Let people on TalkSport or in the pub say what they want. We know what we’ve seen. I’m wholeheartedly with Pearson on this.

That will be Jordan (for one) who calls Pearson puerile and, as ever, is the arch hypocrite: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/25/newsstory.sport

Perhaps someone can put this on his Twitter feed to remind him.

Edited by The Original OTIB
spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

That will be Jordan (for one) who calls Pearson puerile and, as ever, is he arch hypocrite: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/25/newsstory.sport

Perhaps someone can put this on his Twitter feed to remind him.

Didn't he admit tp throwing a hot drink at SL too ? Absolute bell end.

25 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

0_Hull-City-v-Bristol-City-Sky-Bet-Champ

And yet we have had a letter confirming that it was not a penalty. That presumably rests in part on the guidance given to referees that contact does not necessarily mean a foul and that there must be genuine consequences. Guidance the match referee presumably hadn't read or chose to ignore.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

0_Hull-City-v-Bristol-City-Sky-Bet-Champ

Contact does NOT equal a foul.  That frame of the photo might be a tiny bit of contact, and as the frames continue, Naismith’s leg is then making contact with fresh air as Teteh is past him. It might be enough for Teteh to feel it, but not to go down. And his delayed reaction was “oooh, I’ve been touched I’ll now fall over”.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Contact does NOT equal a foul.  That frame of the photo might be a tiny bit of contact, and as the frames continue, Naismith’s leg is then making contact with fresh air as Teteh is past him. It might be enough for Teteh to feel it, but not to go down. And his delayed reaction was “oooh, I’ve been touched I’ll now fall over”.

".... but not until I've thought about it for a few more seconds"

• Like 1

This still photo shows how difficult it is to make a judgement from only one angle. A view at 90degrees to that could show that Naismith completely missed the Hull player?

I, personally, would prefer that all sports would return to the good old days before immediate pictures were available to prove a decision right or wrong.

As Ian Botham once said "All players make mistakes and so do referees. But it is only sport!" (Or words to that effect)

But as we have the equipment in use at Premier level, in FA cup games when a Prem team is home, it should be in use at all EFL matches.

It many games penalty decisions frequently cause outrage with the managers as we’ve seen recently with Nige. Players dive in the box……..:disapointed2se: which in itself causes disgust and puts added pressure on the officials.

Maybe doing away with the box completely, just keeping the 6 yard box would remove all the acrimony. Without the penalty box any fouls given are taken from where the foul took place. That would then create situations where the entire defending team are packed on the goal line or where the attacking team have to take the free kick in a more inventive fashion as the defenders can’t move the required 10 yards.

Btw…….before I get shot down, this is just an idea…………..:cool2:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Every week at BBC Sport Online, usually after extensive badgering, Crooks would submit a feature called "Garth Crooks' Team of the Week": the 11 best-performing players in the Prem.  It was not infrequent for these teams to feature players who had not played that week, were injured, or in one case - had left the club and country. You'd put in your own choices in those cases, to save GC embarrassment.

Not normally a fan of social media in response to pundits, it can get far too personal & downright nasty.

But the ones you see in response to Crooks & this embarrassing “team of the week” stuff are often hilarious.

He has got an incredibly inflated view of his own importance, never says anything original or worth hearing & seems to have got this gig for life for reasons I will never fathom.

There are plenty of other pundits I cannot stand, Lawrenson was awful, Don Goodman & Lee Hendrie (who even by footballer standards is incredibly stupid) come to mind, but Crooks’ self regard means he’ll always be at the top of this list for me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It many games penalty decisions frequently cause outrage with the managers as we’ve seen recently with Nige. Players dive in the box……..:disapointed2se: which in itself causes disgust and puts added pressure on the officials.

Maybe doing away with the box completely, just keeping the 6 yard box would remove all the acrimony. Without the penalty box any fouls given are taken from where the foul took place. That would then create situations where the entire defending team are packed on the goal line or where the attacking team have to take the free kick in a more inventive fashion as the defenders can’t move the required 10 yards.

Btw…….before I get shot down, this is just an idea…………..:cool2:

One of my mates came up with a similar idea. Keeping both boxes for spacial awareness but essentially any foul inside the box for thr attacking side can be placed anywhere within the 'D'. 

• Like 2

On 17/08/2022 at 12:11, Harry said:

There was clear contact by Naismith on the players shin. This led to the player stumbling. Yes, he went down late, but there was clear contact and it was a foul. 

...as there was on Atkinson on Tuesday night. A push in the back is as much a foul as contact with a player's shin

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

And yet we have had a letter confirming that it was not a penalty. That presumably rests in part on the guidance given to referees that contact does not necessarily mean a foul and that there must be genuine consequences. Guidance the match referee presumably hadn't read or chose to ignore.

So, despite there being "clear contact on the player's shin", the letter confirms that it should not have been a penalty.

Of course, this is not about proving whether Harry is right/wrong, but it highlights the absolutely ludicrous lack of consistency in refereeing and their application of the laws of the game. If Hull's was a penalty then so was Atkinson's and visa versa.

Then you get the Sykes sending off, where those of my generation will remember, not that long ago, that it would have been regarded as a fair challenge ( one that Gerry Gow would carry out almost every game!). However, the classification of a yellow/red card foul now introduces an element of judgement as to whether the challenge was reckless and/ or endangered the player being tackled. Given that it seems far too many referees have a problem making simple judgements about straightforward decisions ( most are too naive to judge when they are being conned by player simulation) then I wonder how they can judge more complicated incidents.

P.S. The last paragraph is not to excuse Sykes' red card, as the intent was pretty clear I'm afraid.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Had a look at the Nigel Pearson thread on Leicester City forum that made me giggle , so thought I would share. They worship him over there bar a small minority. 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/123374-nigel-pearson-here-and-now/page/19/#comments

Heres a couple of screenshots:

2054904739_Screenshot_20220819-094525_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9e2afed3fcf9621ba1f0e5e0138eab83.jpg1185655316_Screenshot_20220819-094445_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9e481481d77d55bae5cf2a8f11bcf706.jpg

They do mostly really like him bar a small minority.

One female Leicester fan has been agitating against him constantly on the BCFC facebook comments ever since he came here.

Obsessive and really quite odd.

Couple of interesting comments from Leicester fans

Nige gave us a real us against them mentality which I think is endearing to a club of our size, whereas with Rodgers we've been media darlings which I don't particularly like 

Doing the same here ?

That's why so many love Pearson over Rodgers. Rodgers would throw his players under the bus to save himself. Pearson would throw himself under the bus to save his players.

Yep, you can see that 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Had a look at the Nigel Pearson thread on Leicester City forum that made me giggle , so thought I would share. They worship him over there bar a small minority. 

Yeh. I'm living near Leicester now. Anytime I mention I'm a City fan the first person they ask about is Pearson. He gets as much credit as Ranieri does for the Prem win.

• Like 2

Not worth a new thread but anyone catch Jurgen Klopp calling out Gabby Agbonlahor about his comments about Man Utd players on a TalkSPORT show, during / after the Brentford 

Pointed out that Agbonlahor was part of a Villa side beaten 6-0 under him and suggested he’s not one to comment on fighting attitude !

Said he almost rang in , shame he didn’t !

Made me chuckle , fair play 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Couple of interesting comments from Leicester fans

Nige gave us a real us against them mentality which I think is endearing to a club of our size, whereas with Rodgers we've been media darlings which I don't particularly like 

Doing the same here ?

That's why so many love Pearson over Rodgers. Rodgers would throw his players under the bus to save himself. Pearson would throw himself under the bus to save his players.

Yep, you can see that 

I think that's exactly what NP is trying to achieve, all about weeding out the bad eggs or imbalance to enable building team spirit, unity and fight for each other. As much as I dislike Colin, that's the way he got his teams playing, the world is against us, so lets fight for each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1