IGNORED

Nahki Wells

cellist

As far as I could see he didn't do anything wrong tonight, even held the ball up and won a few flick ons. Worked hard, linked up well, a few good touches and took his goal brilliantly.

Obviously he'd rather have started a lot more games, and played a lot more up front under previous managers too. Good player signed at the wrong time perhaps but it hasn't really worked for him here. Maybe I haven't seen enough of him to judge (and I like him because I was at the QPR game last year where he got the late winner, one of the few games I've managed to get to!) - but I don't feel as though he's thrown his toys out of the pram or let us down in ways others have.

Could he force his way back in? Would you start him on Sunday? Will Nige?

• Like 9

Model professional and good finisher signed by an egomaniac desperate to get any striker in and we had no idea how to use him:

Feel for him as he joined us at a time when we are/were a basketcase of a club.

Has never moaned, always tried and is a big reason around the emergence of Conway.

Ive always liked him. We look a good side with him in it at the moment and thats good enough for me.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Like 14

I sometimes have mixed feelings about overage players playing in the junior teams for anything other than part of a recovery from injury, but there can be little doubt that the amount of time he and Conway have played together is a key to the way they come in the last couple of games.

• Like 1

Wells, Weimann, Conway gave us a speed that Luton's gigantic but ponderous defence just couldn't cope with.  When Martin's up front, he slows things down and even flat-footed defenders often have time to get back.  Chris did a good job when he came on, but loved the speed with which we got into dangerous positions tonight.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Was brilliant seeing him give a shit. Hopefully it wasn't to put himself in the shop window 

Do you think in the past he hasn't? I agree he doesn't come across as particularly warm or passionate about the club in his interviews in terms of his demeanour, bur maybe thats just his personality! . I don't recall him moaning and he has done a professional job when I've seen him. I'm pleased for him to get a goal tonight .

As for the shop window - it would be great to have Wells firing on all cylinders but in reality maybe freeing up his wages in the squad would be better long term. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cellist said:

Do you think in the past he hasn't? I agree he doesn't come across as particularly warm or passionate about the club in his interviews in terms of his demeanour, bur maybe thats just his personality! . I don't recall him moaning and he has done a professional job when I've seen him. I'm pleased for him to get a goal tonight .

As for the shop window - it would be great to have Wells firing on all cylinders but in reality maybe freeing up his wages in the squad would be better long term. 

I think he’s been totally professional during his time with us. It can’t have been easy with changes in managers, played out of position, dropped, 5 minute sub cameos. 

Yes, he’s on big (obscene) wages - but we choose to offer them. 

Suspect he may well prove the exception to the Fammy/CoD type disappearing act in the last few months of contract run down too. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cellist said:

As far as I could see he didn't do anything wrong tonight, even held the ball up and won a few flick ons. Worked hard, linked up well, a few good touches and took his goal brilliantly.

Obviously he'd rather have started a lot more games, and played a lot more up front under previous managers too. Good player signed at the wrong time perhaps but it hasn't really worked for him here. Maybe I haven't seen enough of him to judge (and I like him because I was at the QPR game last year where he got the late winner, one of the few games I've managed to get to!) - but I don't feel as though he's thrown his toys out of the pram or let us down in ways others have.

Could he force his way back in? Would you start him on Sunday? Will Nige?

Hope so more mobile than martin.

For me you simply can’t drop the front 2 after they both not only scored, but looked dangerous and can only build their relationship through game time, plus dropping him after scoring would tell him it doesn’t matter in the future if he plays well as he will get dropped which is hardly good man management.  Martin coming on to see the game out works better from a game management perspective.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Model professional and good finisher signed by an egomaniac desperate to get any striker in and we had no idea how to use him:

Feel for him as he joined us at a time when we are/were a basketcase of a club.

Has never moaned, always tried and is a big reason around the emergence of Conway.

Ive always liked him. We look a good side with him in it at the moment and thats good enough for me.

Worth a watch / listen.

Just what you want from him off the pitch too with TC.

Super finish too, waited and waited…placed it so well.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

We've rarely used him right. That was the real Nahki, and we need to do that again. I thought we were almost perfection with him, Conway and Andi.

From Tommy's  post match interview on RB he seems to have a good relationship both off and on the field with Nahki. Long may it continue.

8 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Was brilliant seeing him give a shit. Hopefully it wasn't to put himself in the shop window 

Every time I've seen him play, he's given 100%. And by all accounts, his attitude in training is excellent, and he's mentored the likes of TC.

I think he's been unlucky and now deserves his chance. A really, really fine goal last night, movement and finish excellent.

• Like 3

Had a conversation in the Pub before the game. A mate said he is averaging the same here as his career average GPG.
You have to think that is an achievement in itself. With the limited starts, 5 minute cameos or playing wide.
The bloke can finish. It's like people complaining about Weimann's GPG and "just running around", if they play centrally and are allowed time, they score. 
Wells ,Conway and Weimann went a long way in stopping Luton play too. Hell of a shift last night.

• Like 4