IGNORED

Sending off

Super

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Hopefully a lesson learned, because he is the loser losing his place in the team.

A chance for Wilson now to show why he needs to play in that position.

Hopefully a lesson learnt yes. I guess on the plus side Wilson/Tanner will know they have to play very well to stay in side, which hopefully might generate a big performance from either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Def a lunge from Sykes so no complaints but surely the Luton guy should have also seen red?

Absolutely Freeman should have got a red asa well and I can completely understand Nige getting frustrated by the standard of the officiating and speaking out on SSN.

It really bugs me that managers get fined if they criticise the officials after a game. Personally I think they should be free to say what they like but powers that be take real offence and deal out hefty fines - where does that money go btw?

I just think it’s hugely unfair.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely Freeman should have got a red asa well and I can completely understand Nige getting frustrated by the standard of the officiating and speaking out on SSN.

Yep. Can't see how you can shoulder charge someone off-the-ball - and after the ref had already blown for a foul - and stay on. Violent conduct, surely?

• Like 1

Normally when there is a bad challenge the ref is straight in and you know a red is coming. With this one I genuinely thought he was just going to get booked because there was no rush from the ref and free kick given. It wasn’t until Freeman decided to shove Sykes and it wasn’t a little nudge either and it spilled over that the ref started getting involved and even then he walked away and consulted the two linos. Once that happened I fully expected two reds. How Freeman has got away with that is unbelievable. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Normally when there is a bad challenge the ref is straight in and you know a red is coming. With this one I genuinely thought he was just going to get booked because there was no rush from the ref and free kick given. It wasn’t until Freeman decided to shove Sykes and it wasn’t a little nudge either and it spilled over that the ref started getting involved and even then he walked away and consulted the two linos. Once that happened I fully expected two reds. How Freeman has got away with that is unbelievable. 

Entirely agree. Ref wasn’t even going to blow fur a foul until it all kicked off as a result of Freeman’s retaliation. 

• Like 1

I thought the ref got it spot on tonight. 
The Atkinson appeal was nothing. Don’t even think there was contact and if there was it was initiated by Atkinson himself moving his right leg toward the defender. And he made a meal of it. 

As for the sending off. 
2 footed, from behind, aggressive, red mist having not got a free kick. Absolutely the right decision and a moment of stupidity from Sykes. 
Freeman - as far as I’m aware, it’s not a sending off offence if you barge someone in the back. So a yellow card was correct there too. 
What I didn’t like was how Sykes went down holding his head when his head hadn’t been touched and he’d only been barged in the back. 
So a stupid tackle and then cheating to follow it up. Not the proudest 30 seconds of Sykes career I’d guess. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I thought physical retaliation was classed as violent conduct Beckham v Portugal and thus a red card. Sykes challenge was stupid and came out of frustration the ref really didn't have any other choice. 

The ref really lost control of the game in the first half, their big attacker committed about 4  fouls in quick succession, had the ref pulled out a card then it would have given both sides reason to think. But on the positive side we dug deep and kept a clean sheet despite being down to 10 men and a fair amount we xan be positive about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The Atkinson appeal was nothing. Don’t even think there was contact and if there was it was initiated by Atkinson himself moving his right leg toward the defender. And he made a meal of it. 

As for the sending off. 
2 footed, from behind, aggressive, red mist having not got a free kick. Absolutely the right decision and a moment of stupidity from Sykes. 
Freeman - as far as I’m aware, it’s not a sending off offence if you barge someone in the back. So a yellow card was correct there too. 
What I didn’t like was how Sykes went down holding his head when his head hadn’t been touched and he’d only been barged in the back. 
So a stupid tackle and then cheating to follow it up. Not the proudest 30 seconds of Sykes career I’d guess. 

Nah, the easiest penalty ever to give.

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

Can see why ref gave Sykes a red and Freeman a yellow, but don’t think obviously the right decisions, two reds or two yellows wouldn’t have been ludicrous. What the ref was at fault for in my view, was not giving Sykes a free kick just before, one of theirs was wrestling him (when Sykes had the ball not pre corner shenanigans), can’t see why that wasn’t a foul. There were a few times when I thought he played on after reasonably blatant fouls (and the fouled player lost the ball, so not playing advantage). Poor refereeing standards will result in players getting frustrated, Sykes can learn a lesson, but refs need to start learning lessons as well. 

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It was pure frustration after being sandwiched by two Luton players and getting nothing from the ref.  At least it demonstrated some passion and footballers are only human.  Poor control of a match by the referee is often responsible for such incidents.

100%, incompetent refereeing yet again caused the whole mess. Unlike the robots on here who have 1000% control under all circumstances our lad lost his rag, let his passion boil over and got a red, At least he's got a bit of passion but as others have said we have two options to fill his position and it might cost him a game for more than the three matches.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

As for the sending off. 

Agree with a lot of that, although I thought Freeman had to go as well.

An Oxford-supporting mate said when we signed Sykes that he can be a bit of a hot head. This isn’t the first time he’s seen red in similar circumstances, basically.

Edited by tin

6 hours ago, Harry said:

As for the sending off. 

6 hours ago, eardun said:

Entirely agree. Ref wasn’t even going to blow fur a foul until it all kicked off as a result of Freeman’s retaliation. 

Exactly!

Red card all day long, no complaints about that,

However freeman should of seen Red for violent conduct,

Less said about the pen the better,

I'm starting to think the only way we will ever get a pen is if our player is shot, and then it will only be awarded after VAR intervention 

7 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Two feet off the ground, red all day.

Timage.thumb.png.8101adcf2e2a4b2aa131c09f9f6ca5e3.png

I'm going to go against the tide here.
The problem with that 'still' is if you go in for a sliding tackle at some point it will look off the ground.
It shows it wasn't 2 footed though. 
I think it was Sykes trailing leg that catches him, so could be interpreted as a scissor challenge.
It was aggressive , but as some have said, it didn't look like the Ref had any intention off a Red until after the Freeman body charge.
That in itself was 'over aggressive' but when the ball was dead. Yet he deemed it the same as Well's little push on the 6'4" who did a backward dive.  The lad up front committed several fouls a short space of time and couldn't get booked. 
I actually thought the Ref started OK, then said to a mate he seems to be letting a lot go, that was until Wells got, what I thought was a soft, booking.
I really don't understand how the Ref waved away the Atkinson Penalty appeal.
All round , another very poor Ref, we wait for another EFL letter. We'll be able to paper Pearson's office with them soon.

• Like 2

I thought the red card and booking were fair. Think Saturday’s kick out on Williams might still be in mind? Was not an elbow or kick or punch. Just a push in the back really. I wouldn’t want one of our player sent off in that situation. I will probably be in the minority on it but how I saw it. 

Sykes was a red. He really jumps into the tackle which you can’t do. Studs showing on the leading foot. He should have had a free kick but can’t react like that. 

Have not seen the penalty back. Everything looks a penalty in real time to me now. We never get them so I shout for everything ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flagon said:

7 hours ago, eardun said:

Entirely disagree!! That was a red card from probably before contact even took place because the intent was so clearly there. He didn’t have time to get his card out of his pocket before it all ‘kicked off’. 

I’m as fed up as everyone with the general standard of officials, and there was a case for a free kick in the build up to it, but you don’t react like Sykes did, and that was one decision the ref got right.

I’m sure the ‘consultation’ was about what followed, not about whether Sykes got a red. 

• Like 1

In real time (TV) was an obvious red card. Like a wtf you doing moment. Kinda nonsense you see from idiots at sunday league. Replay even more obvious. At 2 nil up just beyond stupid. Sure you didn't get a free kick, but if you show that lack of discipline 2 up, will management really want to trust you? He's got to earn that back and learn quickly.

Everything else was just football stuff, nobody else warranted a red, only himself to blame.

As for the pen , not sure what else needs to happen , thought it was pretty blatant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, the easiest penalty ever to give.

I think atkinson didn’t help himself a few moments before by being strong as an ox to shrug off a player as he was strolling forward. Then 10 seconds later he is collapsing under much less contact.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

As for the sending off. 

I thought it was 2 reds at the time but on reflection I agree with what you have said.

Quite clever by Freeman to keep his hands down.