IGNORED

That 20 minutes

Port Said Red

I thought that some of the passing angles out from the back were something I hadn't seen from us for a while, the movement of Scott and Massengo allowed different options, and Conway looks like a Weimann clone with his non stop movement.

I am sure Cardiff will do a better job of pressing us, but we showed in that period that we can be fast and accurate when required 

What was our long ball percentage @Cowshed, I am assuming it was lower without Martin playing?

• Like 1

Chap who sits next to me made a really good point.

The game was only really even when they had an extra player, first part of the second half we were much the better side & looked far more likely to add a third than Luton looked like scoring.

Delighted with the win, they were really poor though & have only scored once all season.

On that evidence they could be surprise strugglers this season.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought that some of the passing angles out from the back were something I hadn't seen from us for a while, the movement of Scott and Massengo allowed different options, and Conway looks like a Weimann clone with his non stop movement.

I am sure Cardiff will do a better job of pressing us, but we showed in that period that we can be fast and accurate when required 

What was our long ball percentage @Cowshed, I am assuming it was lower without Martin playing?

806C6170-73DD-4874-A8BB-C3F2B2DFF8A2.thumb.jpeg.e96906bfc1892a1d02330d98e212e7ee.jpeg

Just 10% long balls, and over the 90…

0AD36099-4D92-4FEE-B66F-06921F5A8103.jpeg.b73fd7f3956b91284298750dc34ef15d.jpeg

Early doors, turn them around, then we find feet, then adjust to the sending off, before settling again.  That’s my summary.

Some other charts.

64055949-19B8-460B-991A-37EAC0B870FB.thumb.jpeg.f3d2112608d29d32409ccd85e364cd68.jpeg

About as balanced as we’ve been this season!

C4995C47-B5BA-46B4-9489-2600BE17C0C6.jpeg.c1b5ec7ce0a1168586468912e70c99ba.jpeg

Pressed them well until the red card then sat in.

04C47A41-CEED-4B1F-97D1-ABA1D7772B2C.jpeg.9601e050568bb54bea1763a2a9fe3c3c.jpeg

Ket the ball well until the red card then sat in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

806C6170-73DD-4874-A8BB-C3F2B2DFF8A2.thumb.jpeg.e96906bfc1892a1d02330d98e212e7ee.jpeg

Early doors, turn them around, then we find feet, then adjust to the sending off, before settling again.  That’s my summary.

Some other charts.

64055949-19B8-460B-991A-37EAC0B870FB.thumb.jpeg.f3d2112608d29d32409ccd85e364cd68.jpeg

Dave were do you get all this information. It’s impressive. You have a stat or graph for everything 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some other charts.

Those two graphs just prove what I witnessed again with my own eyes. 

We started the second half again on a downward trend, even before the red card. Possession and passes allowed...

I know we had a 2 goal cushion...but I remember thinking to myself when the second half resumed ..that our intensity was lower. More passive. I don't know what's said at half time...but we definitely come out second halves differently to how we start games 

Great win, great performance overall...but the evidence is clear to see in those graphs.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some other charts.

I like the top chart Dave - found it very interesting ??

Ta 

1 minute ago, spudski said:

We started the second half again on a downward trend, even before the red card. Possession and passes allowed...

I know we had a 2 goal cushion...but I remember thinking to myself when the second half resumed ..that our intensity was lower. More passive. I don't know what's said at half time...but we definitely come out second halves differently to how we start games 

Great win, great performance overall...but the evidence is clear to see in those graphs.

Totally Disagree - Luton switched to a 433 at h-t, we adjusted as they played non-threatening possession footie for 3-4 minutes…then we battered them for 15 mins until the sending off.

We have 5 shots to their nil in that period.

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Dave were do you get all this information. It’s impressive. You have a stat or graph for everything 

Wyscout - I pay for it.

• Like 8

Just now, Davefevs said:

Totally Disagree - Luton switched to a 433 at h-t, we adjusted as they played non-threatening possession footie for 3-4 minutes…then we battered them for 15 mins until the sending off.

Wyscout - I pay for it.

Very informative. Appreciate you doing it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wyscout - I pay for it.

I agree...they did go 433 and our possession dropped by approx 5%. And we did have 5 shots in that period up to the sending off. 

However...imo...in that period we were less affective than we were first half. We weren't 'battering' them with the same intensity as we were first half. Yes...we were trying to be Pro active...but it was done in a less intense manner. 

That's the point I'm trying to make.

I noticed it. Body language was saying we've got a two goal lead...we can relax more. It was evident. We played yes...but with less eagerness and tenacity than we did first half.

I'd like to see our first half performances also in the second halves of games.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I agree...they did go 433 and our possession dropped by approx 5%. And we did have 5 shots in that period up to the sending off. 

However...imo...in that period we were less affective than we were first half. We weren't 'battering' them with the same intensity as we were first half. Yes...we were trying to be Pro active...but it was done in a less intense manner. 

That's the point I'm trying to make.

I noticed it. Body language was saying we've got a two goal lead...we can relax more. It was evident. We played yes...but with less eagerness and tenacity than we did first half.

I'd like to see our first half performances also in the second halves of games.

For info here is the data for each league game this season for the 46-60min period.

My comments post Wigan are we knocked it about okay (very safely) taking the sting out of the game was the intention.

205060C4-BAC2-4105-ADAD-39F5EA7B8B4F.jpeg

CFB9E523-84A2-427B-86D4-8A9157C5B598.jpeg

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

2 - 0 up at half time. Luton come out with three changes and a flea in their ear from Nathan Jones. They were probably also told to remember that we have a reputation for shrinking like a salted snail if put under pressure in the 2nd half.

They tried to up their tempo, but we just took complete charge of the game. Great pressing, superb movement and exceptional passing moves, the only thing that didn't quite come were the goals, which I honestly believe we're on their way, until the sending off. But still, they couldn't live with us and I think that's possibly the best we have played under Pearson.

Surely quote of the day contender right there. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For info here is the data for each league game this season for the 46-60min period.

My comments post Wigan are we knocked it about okay (very safely) taking the sting out of the game was the intention.

205060C4-BAC2-4105-ADAD-39F5EA7B8B4F.jpeg

CFB9E523-84A2-427B-86D4-8A9157C5B598.jpeg

Yes I was aware of the stats Dave, however thanks for sharing. Always appreciated. I can imagine others appreciate them too at a glance.

For anyone else interested, but not sure how the parameters of how PPDA is calculated, I've copied and pasted Wyscouts explaination. The last sentence is also important in the metric.

Passes Allowed Per Defensive Action (PPDA)

A metric that can quantify the extent and aggression of high presses employed by teams, both over a season and in any specific match.
The goal is define the intensity of a press with the use of numbers, more specifically by using some specific events.
and reduce it to one number so that it allows for comparison, analysis and ranking.

To measure the pressure that the defending team puts on the opposition players when they are in possession of the ball.

The definition of PPDA is:
PPDA = Number of Passes made by Attacking Team (oppoenent) / Number of Defensive Actions

The PPDA metric is calculated by dividing the number of passes allowed by the defending team by the total number of defensive actions.

Where Defensive Actions are:
possession-winning duels, tackles, interceptions, fouls

Both values (passes made and defensive actions) will be calculated in opponent’s final 60% of the pitch.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Thing is, two goals up starting the second half, what is more important - scoring a third, or keeping the opposition to nil? To go for more, or hang on to what you've got?

Walking back out for the second half, the team had something to "throw away," something to lose that we didn't have at 7.45. At 2:0 up we had "three points in the bag" and another goal wouldn't mean any more points.

It’s one thing to talk about it in theory, or even impress it upon the team in the dressing room at half-time, it's quite another to walk back out on to the pitch in front of your crowd and not revert to type or habit somewhat. The tendency to "circle the wagons" and protect what you have is seen across various team sports, the England women hockey team did this v Australia in the Commonwealth final recently, after starting so brightly and building a two goal lead. To change the group "psychology" is tremendously difficult and will take time, as I don't need to tell you, we have been poor for so long now.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Thing is, two goals up starting the second half, what is more important - scoring a third, or keeping the opposition to nil? To go for more, or hang on to what you've got?

Walking back out for the second half, the team had something to "throw away," something to lose that we didn't have at 7.45. At 2:0 up we had "three points in the bag" and another goal wouldn't mean any more points.

It’s one thing to talk about it in theory, or even impress it upon the team in the dressing room at half-time, it's quite another to walk back out on to the pitch in front of your crowd and not revert to type or habit somewhat. The tendency to "circle the wagons" and protect what you have is seen across various team sports, the England women hockey team did this v Australia in the Commonwealth final recently, after starting so brightly and building a two goal lead. To change the group "psychology" is tremendously difficult and will take time, as I don't need to tell you, we have been poor for so long now.

I understand your way of thinking...however...this has been like it for years. Under different coaches and playing staff. So the group has changed over the years. In theory the psychology should evolve...its not in the bricks and mortar.

There are more ways to defend a lead than sit back and allow a team on to you.

If you make an error in your own box, you are more likely to concede.

Play normally...you can still dictate play further up the field, playing offensively even with 10 men.

Just don't go gung ho, and don't overload the front line.

Defending a lead...doesn't have to be sitting back. It just invites trouble.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wyscout - I pay for it.

Christ @Davefevs - there was me thinking you was using your Black Horse analysing skills and doing it yourself ?

Is there a graph though that shows the number of times we huff and puff into the danger zones only to **** up the throw in/goal kick/free kick?

Seems to me that the answer to that one would be worth knowing, and give Big Nige some much needed data.

Thought last night was an improvement on Wigan but again I think there were instances where although it wasn’t Joe Williams who ****** up the free kick, others did.

I struggle with that quality. They work collectively to move the ball into their target area - where presumably they train to maximise the effect of getting it there - only to then let the opportunity fizzle out with a whimper.

Happened last night I think….

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

Out of interest @Davefevs how is the match tempo registered, what does the number show (top score?)

Passes made per minute (in possession)

The blue highlighted are averages for the filters (in this case - this season, league games only, 46-60 mins)

For each fixture, City are top, opponents below.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Christ @Davefevs - there was me thinking you was using your Black Horse analysing skills and doing it yourself ?

Is there a graph though that shows the number of times we huff and puff into the danger zones only to **** up the throw in/goal kick/free kick?

Seems to me that the answer to that one would be worth knowing, and give Big Nige some much needed data.

Thought last night was an improvement on Wigan but again I think there were instances where although it wasn’t Joe Williams who ****** up the free kick, others did.

I struggle with that quality. They work collectively to move the ball into their target area - where presumably they train to maximise the effect of getting it there - only to then let the opportunity fizzle out with a whimper.

Happened last night I think….

No, that comes from watching the game…data helps back up “some” of the game, in some cases helps you see things you’ve missed with your eyes. Blah, blah, blah.

Ever hit great shots on the driving range / glorious cover drives in the nets, but get on the tee and slide it OOB / nick off to second slip in a match?

Edited by Davefevs

Up until the red card, as others mentioned after the 1st few minutes we took control again- we were excellent, it took the red card combined with the reprieve for Freeman and the non penalty to even make a game of it.

Which Luton failed to do as I thought we were quite comfortable for that period, but it was encouraging even at 2 up to see us reassert ourselves after HT when 11 v 11.

On 17/08/2022 at 08:20, Port Said Red said:

Yes. 10% lower. 25 -10%. I didnt see the game, but the primary reason could be the movement in midfield. Passes (entry passes) increased into midfiield. 

• Like 1

Although it wasn't as scintillating as the Luton game, I thought we had another great 20 minutes after half time yesterday. That's two games in a row now where we have imposed ourselves on a team trying to get back into the game.

We need to do the same in the next away games, to really get the 2nd half monkey off of our backs.

• Like 1