IGNORED

FBC POD: review of Luton [H] .... what was there not to like about that?

headhunter

Link to listen: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/luton-h-reviewed-what-was-not-to-like-about-that/ [Also on Apple, Google & Spotify]

It's been something of a rarity this past 4 years to come away from Ashton Gate feeling exhilarated by a City performance but last night was one of those ocassions as the team put on a 95 minute show that had everything.

The pace of the game was up several notches from what we've become used to as the pace of Conway, Wells & Weimann up front tied the Hatters defence in knots and there was energy too in a midfield combo of Alex Scott & HNM.

The back 3 were impressive with Vyner showing he can sustain concentration for the duration, Naismith keen to put one over on his former club and Atkinson having one of his best games as well as linking up well with JD in forward sorties. Sykes was impressive too until his sending off which I thought was going to happen but Luke Freeman should have gone as well.

If Weimann & Semenyo [when fit] are auto selections then you're looking at one from Conway, Wells & Martin for the remaining strike role. CM is bottom of that list in our view but on the bench as an impact sub when he can give it his all for 20 minutes. Local lad Tommy has done enough to suggest he's another one of our starlets destined for the top.

We look forward to the Cardiff game and also discuss Nige's justified outburst on the standard of officiating.

Btw, if you listen what's the link between Bananarama and the Luton manager?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, headhunter said:

If Weimann & Semenyo [when fit] are auto selections then you're looking at one from Conway, Wells & Martin for the remaining strike role. CM is bottom of that list in our view but on the bench as an impact sub when he can give it his all for 20 minutes. Local lad Tommy has done enough to suggest he's another one of our starlets destined for the top.

This Is why we have a squad. Injuries, rest, rotation, form, etc and thoughts of having a best eleven, even a pecking order can be a bit futile…especially when Martin is different to our other forwards, in fact so is Semenyo.

Nige said last night (paraphrased) it’s about selecting the right ones for the job, sometimes it’s right for one pairing over another.

I’ve never quite got my head around “he’ll be alright for the last 15-20 minutes” your view, whether that be Martin, King or whoever.

Maybe it’s just me?

Will listen later. 

17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ian Gays Birthday today , just in case anyone missed the announcements on various media outlets 

???

Fair play - it’s got more mention than the Queens

?

Who is Ian Gay?

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Link to listen: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/luton-h-reviewed-what-was-not-to-like-about-that/ [Also on Apple, Google & Spotify]

It's been something of a rarity this past 4 years to come away from Ashton Gate feeling exhilarated by a City performance but last night was one of those ocassions as the team put on a 95 minute show that had everything.

The pace of the game was up several notches from what we've become used to as the pace of Conway, Wells & Weimann up front tied the Hatters defence in knots and there was energy too in a midfield combo of Alex Scott & HNM.

The back 3 were impressive with Vyner showing he can sustain concentration for the duration, Naismith keen to put one over on his former club and Atkinson having one of his best games as well as linking up well with JD in forward sorties. Sykes was impressive too until his sending off which I thought was going to happen but Luke Freeman should have gone as well.

We look forward to the Cardiff game and also discuss Nige's justified outburst on the standard of officiating.

And the Supremes, the original and far better version ?

• Like 1

Gave up listening after 30 seconds after yet another of Ian's mis quotes / facts to fit story. NP has never said he wants to' play fast flowing front foot football.' That was Dean Holden when he was appointed. When NP was appointed and asked what type of football fans can expect, he hummed and hawed and said ,'winning football'

Headhunter made the same mistake on here a while ago and I pointed this out to him at the time, so there was can early chance to question Ian where he had heard NP say this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

59 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Gave up listening after 30 seconds after yet another of Ian's mis quotes / facts to fit story. NP has never said he wants to' play fast flowing front foot football.' That was Dean Holden when he was appointed. When NP was appointed and asked what type of football fans can expect, he hummed and hawed and said ,'winning football'

Headhunter made the same mistake on here a while ago and I pointed this out to him at the time, so there was can early chance to question Ian where he had heard NP say this.

That long!

If we're that crap why even bother clicking the link? 

If you had listened longer you would have heard Ian say no one scored less than an 8/10 in his view - now his 8 is another's 10 or someone else's 7 .... all about opinions.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, headhunter said:

That long!

If you had listened longer you would have heard Ian say no one scored less than an 8/10 in his view - now his 8 is another's 10 or someone else's 7 .... all about opinions.

Headhunter. Don't let the ******* get you down, we're very lucky as a fanbase to have 3 good fan pods with yours included so keep up the good work

• Like 7

I listened last night and perhaps because we won comfortably in the end there wasn’t anything said that I disagreed with.

The guest contribution was very even handed, certainly compared to the last time I tried to listen (the sound was OK this time), and certainly compared to the normal Nige bashing I’ve read and heard before.

I guess just like many of the so called expert chats on Talksport etc unless there is something controversial said the programme becomes an easy listen.

Everything in the garden appears rosy and we’re going to roll Cardiff over with ease…..

But we are Bristol City.

11 hours ago, headhunter said:

That long!

Never said you were crap, just fed up listening to one contributer spouting bull..and not being picked up on it. On another thread Mark stated that Ian didn't watch the game but listened to it on the radio. If that is the case how on earth can he rate performances out of 10 

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Never said you were crap, just fed up listening to one contributer spouting bull..and not being picked up on it. On another thread Mark stated that Ian didn't watch the game but listened to it on the radio. If that is the case how on earth can he rate performances out of 10 

Absolutely this!

Not even there but spouting opinions on player ratings?

So opinionated and always thinks he's right. Never admits he got things wrong (his opinions of Gary Johnson for a start).

I could go on but apparently it's his birthday..... another day perhaps.

52 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That is superb. Kind of want to listen to see how he gives scores out of 10 for players he hasn’t seen!  Hopefully he argues against others scores as well. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

When I posted that Ian listened to 'it' I meant the post-match Radio Bristol programme where I wished him happy birthday. Apologies if it was ambiguous. I can assure you that Ian did watch the game on a Robins TV overseas pass. Hope that helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was a good listen. Thank you. 
I regularly listen and enjoy it.
I don’t agree with everything (surely that’s normal?). 
The post-Luton pod was positive and upbeat… so was I as I left the ground. 
Sometimes it’s negative and downbeat, often even… but then, often I’m negative and downbeat on leaving the ground… again that’s normal isn’t it? 
Keep up the good work @headhunter

• Like 3

18 hours ago, southside said:

And the Supremes, the original and far better version ?

Surely the didn't all go to Stockwell Hill  school in Downend, did they? :D

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This Is why we have a squad. Injuries, rest, rotation, form, etc and thoughts of having a best eleven, even a pecking order can be a bit futile…especially when Martin is different to our other forwards, in fact so is Semenyo.

Nige said last night (paraphrased) it’s about selecting the right ones for the job, sometimes it’s right for one pairing over another.

I’ve never quite got my head around “he’ll be alright for the last 15-20 minutes” your view, whether that be Martin, King or whoever.

Maybe it’s just me?

Will listen later. 

Are you suggesting ‘ clubs in the bag ‘ ? 

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Are you suggesting ‘ clubs in the bag ‘ ? 

Naughty, a golfer can only have 14, a former manager wanted 16 sand wedges!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Surely the didn't all go to Stockwell Hill  school in Downend, did they? :D

School register back in the day:

"Sara Dalin and Keren Woodward" - "We're here Bonjour "

"It's not a french lesson, it's Italian and your new teacher, Mr Di Nero is waiting for you"

"Nathan Jones"  - "He's on holiday miss"

"he went on holiday 3 weeks ago so he's been gone too long"

"Diana Ross" - "Just coming miss,  I'll be there in hurry, you don't have to worry"

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

On 17/08/2022 at 19:22, Sir Geoff said:

Ha ha , as if

Ian Gay totally dominates the pod and speaks to Dave , and anyone else , how he likes 

Unless Neil is on there or Fevs was , no one challenges Mr Gay

Having listened to the last couple of recordings @headhunterI found it particularly embarrassing how when ‘quoting’ or ‘mimicking’ the ‘cult of Nigel’ (Your words) you put on an exaggerated farmer type accent that we’d normally expect from ignorant cockneys etc , I assume implying that those who believe in what Pearson is doing are thick or something

Whats that all about ?

As for inviting / challenging people to come on the pod you had a few different people on when you first started but all were quickly sidelined, so your offers are pretty empty - it’s your pod (Well more Ian Gays) and you do it how you like, but it loses interest for me somewhat when it’s the same voices and opinions 

• Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Having listened to the last couple of recordings @headhunterI found it particularly embarrassing how when ‘quoting’ or ‘mimicking’ the ‘cult of Nigel’ (Your words) you put on an exaggerated farmer type accent that we’d normally expect from ignorant cockneys etc , I assume implying that those who believe in what Pearson is doing are thick or something

It would definately improve things if Dave could mute Ian's mike from time to time.

Whats that all about ?

As for inviting / challenging people to come on the pod you had a few different people on when you first started but all were quickly sidelined, so your offers are pretty empty - it’s your pod (Well more Ian Gays) and you do it how you like, but it loses interest for me somewhat when it’s the same voices and opinions 

I'm sure Dave would have you on if you were up for it.