IGNORED

Getting a lot harder to figure out our best XI

LondonBristolian

Three weeks into the season and I feel - in a good way - increasingly unsure what our best XI is. 

It seems NP is pretty set on the 3-4-1-2 formation, which I've no problem with at all but there's a lot of players making a positive case to be included. Start of the season, I'd have said Bentley, Wilson, Kalas, Naismith, Atkinson, Dasilva, Weimann, Semenyo, and Martin were obvious picks in our best XI and it was just a case of which two from Scott, James and Williams slotted into the midfield. Right now you could make a case for at least 15 or 16 players to deserve to be in the frame for a starting spot.

It's a nice problem to have but leaves a question. If everyone was fit, there are no more incomings or outgoings and we stick with the same formation, what do you currently  see as the first XI? 

• Like 2

The idea of a first eleven is less and less the case these days, more so now with 5 subs available. Try predicting Man City's starting team for their next game for instance!

It may become more like Rugby Union with starters and finishers being equally important.

The best we can say might be that certain players are key to Nigel: Naismith, Scott, Weimann for instance but who else starts will depend on a variety of factors. I tend not to comment when the team is announced as I don't know what those factors are and will likely end up with egg on my face!

He might even choose a terribly weak midfield as he did last night.?

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

With the likes of Conway and HNM playing they are so much more mobile than a Martin or a James or Williams. It makes a massive difference. I know there are probably some games especially away from home where a Scott and HNM may not be the best option.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Good question. I think with a fully fit squad I'd go;

Bentley; Sykes, Kalas, Naismith, Atkinson, Pring; Scott, Williams; Weimann; Semenyo, Conway. 

But this does prove your point. Feels harsh leaving out Matty James, Chris Martin. On last nights showing HNM and Wells have loud shouts. And I really like the look of Kane Wilson. 

It's a very tidy squad we have currently. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Bentley; Sykes, Kalas, Naismith, Atkinson, Pring; Scott, Williams; Weimann; Semenyo, Conway. 

But this does prove your point. Feels harsh leaving out Matty James, Chris Martin. On last nights showing HNM and Wells have loud shouts. And I really like the look of Kane Wilson. 

I don't think it's harsh. He's been disappointing for me.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Very harsh , considering his performance last night

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Harsher to leave Dasilva without a mention after yesterday 

• Like 4

Just now, tts_city said:

They tend to win most games and with such a large squad there would be a lot of discontent if he did not, If we ever get to that stage perhaps I would reconsider.

Pep has made it pretty clear he isn't much bothered if a player thinks he should be playing - ask Raheem Sterling. He doesn't select a side to keep particular players happy. Though he seems to over think selection in Champions League at times!

But following your logic if they win he shouldn't change the team. But he rotates anyway, which may depend on the opposition, what players are looking good or not in training, what each player's physical stats might be showing and so on.

Unless there are so many injuries Nigel can only pick certain players he does and will rotate, as managers commonly do these days. Though allowing for the above factors I reckon he just might go for an unchanged team for Cardiff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Unless there are so many injuries Nigel can only pick certain players he does and will rotate, as managers commonly do these days. Though allowing for the above factors I reckon he just might go for an unchanged team for Cardiff.

Brave to go into the game with 10 men, Sykes will be suspended ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

The idea of a first eleven is less and less the case these days, more so now with 5 subs available. Try predicting Man City's starting team for their next game for instance!

It may become more like Rugby Union with starters and finishers being equally important.

The best we can say might be that certain players are key to Nigel: Naismith, Scott, Weimann for instance but who else starts will depend on a variety of factors. I tend not to comment when the team is announced as I don't know what those factors are and will likely end up with egg on my face!

I agree with you to an extent but, although you are right that the idea of a strong first XI is less relevant than it was a few years ago, I don't think it is irrelevant. You are right that teams rotate but even a team like Man City or Liverpool do broadly have a "first XI" that are likely to start top of the table games or key Champions League matches.

And I reckon that even the managers like Pep that will deviate from their strongest team depending on the tactics of the game still need to have a clear idea of the template they are deviating from. Pep will rotate his team but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a clear idea of the eleven players he is most likely to put on the field and why. And, if we had a major game - say a key relegation clash or play-off final - I think NP would have an idea in his head of what team would be too. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Ta, saved me typing my usual diatribe about it being a squad game.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Harsher to leave Dasilva without a mention after yesterday 

He was brilliant yesterday. I need to see it a few more times though. Don’t think he’s been bringing enough to the party of late - but I know he’s a talented lad and he’s got it in him. 

• Like 1

Good. Players must not be complacent in to thinking they're first choice.  Yes momentum can be built but the team builds that, not the individuals within it.  

End of the day, the only score that matters is what is printed in the paper the following morning.  We need to be better at managing games until the end.  

• Like 1

Glad that we've got some of these decisions to make, because the thing that concerns me most this season is not the quality of our players or manager - but the depth of the squad.

Martin or Wells.

Conway or Semenyo.

HNM or James.

Tanner or Sykes.

Dasilva or Pring

Whoever, whatever...... all these players will need to play their part at some stage as the inevitable injuries, suspensions, big late transfer bids even, start happening.

Edited by Alessandro

From last season I could name Liverpool's first XI.  It played together a lot. What was Man City's?    Guardiola's policy of consistently churning the starting XI with 2 maybe 3 changes each game arguably made the difference.  Change was normal for them and meant that injuries / suspensions were easily dealt with. 

This is even more the case at our level, especially when the midweek league games kick in.  Seems to me that both Martin and Williams won't be starting 2 games in 4 days.  IMO it is best to proactively rotate rather than wait for injuries and be reactive.  A manager keeps more control that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

No just tell him until he manages a team with a limited budget and not the richest in their particular league with all the best players he's completely overrated.

None of which supports your argument that you should never change a winning team, arguably the opposite.

Your more general point is interesting though and is often made. I'm not mad keen on nation states owning clubs but we are where we are so:

How many people were saying that KDB (rejected by Chelsea and playing for Wolfsburg) was one of the best players in the world when City signed him? What about Bernardo Silva, Joao Cancelo and Ilkay Gundogan when they were signed? Aymeric Laporte (who couldn't get into the France squad and eventually chose Spain)?  How many English fans knew much about Ruben Dias? Is Kyle Walker even the best English right back? Haaland will likely become world class, Alvarez (their only other striker as the ones from the academy don't get much of a look in) is highly rated but untested.

So the best team but not necessarily all the best individuals perhaps. Meanwhile Man Utd have spent more than anybody since Ferguson retired so perhaps the quality of the manager is important after all?

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

Pep has made it pretty clear he isn't much bothered if a player thinks he should be playing - ask Raheem Sterling. He doesn't select a side to keep particular players happy. Though he seems to over think selection in Champions League at times!

But following your logic if they win he shouldn't change the team. But he rotates anyway, which may depend on the opposition, what players are looking good or not in training, what each player's physical stats might be showing and so on.

Yes I agree, unchanged for Cardiff, who in for Sykes ?