IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

As many of us have second teams based around the locality, and last years thread got a lot of involvement, thought I’d start one for this year.

Local Derby last night with Yate losing 3-2 to Weston due to a last minute penalty. If any city fans are wavering as to who to support, Yate are clearly our second team this year - following the loan signings of Prince Henry and Omar Taylor-Clarke, Khari Allen has signed and on the very eve of the season, Barney Soady has also joined the bluebells.

Last night he did this:

Expecting Yate to drop off from last year - only two retained players (Damn you Merthyr and Supermarine) and conceding 3 goals twice in the first two games does not bode well.

All else fails, we could at least put Beads between the sticks and reduce the target….

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As many of us have second teams based around the locality, and last years thread got a lot of involvement, thought I’d start one for this year.

Local Derby last night with Yate losing 3-2 to Weston due to a last minute penalty. If any city fans are wavering as to who to support, Yate are clearly our second team this year - following the loan signings of Prince Henry and Omar Taylor-Clarke, Khari Allen has signed and on the very eve of the season, Barney Soady has also joined the bluebells.

Last night he did this:

Expecting Yate to drop off from last year - only two retained players (Damn you Merthyr and Supermarine) and conceding 3 goals twice in the first two games does not bode well.

All else fails, we could at least put Beads between the sticks and reduce the target….

I went to Supermarine on Saturday, I go occasionally and that was the best I have ever seen them play.  Normally its a boring and turgid watch but beer is cheap, so what can you do?

Last Saturday was a good watch, obviously, due to a new look team.  Normally, only player I look out for is George Dowling due to his City connections and he didn't seem as 'bulky', oh and getting a start for a change last week.

15 minutes ago, Ally1971 said:

I went to Supermarine on Saturday, I go occasionally and that was the best I have ever seen them play.  Normally its a boring and turgid watch but beer is cheap, so what can you do?

Last Saturday was a good watch, obviously, due to a new look team.  Normally, only player I look out for is George Dowling due to his City connections and he didn't seem as 'bulky', oh and getting a start for a change last week.

Supermarine signed Sam Turl (RB - POTY) and James Harding (Top scorer) from Yate. Those alone should make a difference, both tidy players

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Supermarine signed Sam Turl (RB - POTY) and James Harding (Top scorer) from Yate. Those alone should make a difference, both tidy players

Thanks, I wouldn't have known this.

James Harding got hat-trick Saturday, so continuing where he left off.

Will be watching a lot of Paulton Rovers games as usual. No city loanees as yet but usually end up with one or two as the season goes on. Aaron Sainsbury who was in City's academy and now coaches the academy keepers is Paulton's number 1.

Have signed Kyle Tooze who has played for most teams in the area, Manor Farm in multiple stints included, and are playing him as the main striker. Scored a hat trick on debut against Lymington on Saturday.

• Admin
16 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Local Derby last night with Yate losing 3-2 to Weston due to a last minute penalty. If any city fans are wavering as to who to support, Yate are clearly our second team this year

Unless you live in Weston that is ? 

• Like 5

Going to watch Bridgwater United on Saturday , they have won there first 5 league games for the season sitting top of the league, scoring lots of goals 7 in one match 8 in another, they been playing some lovely attacking football so looking forward to them playing and hopefully beating Bitton this weekend, 

• Like 1

Remember folks, when you’re out there at these games, become the eyes of the club and let me know if you spot any good young talents. 
City may well have good contacts at the likes of Yate, Weston etc, but they can’t have eyes everywhere, so if you see any decent young opposition players, send them in. Expand our scouting network. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Watched Yate get tonked 0-4 by Salisbury this afternoon.

Yate were awful...worst I've seen them in years. 

Of the City lads on loan...Omar was Yates best performer by far. Prince Henry got hooked...he had a nightmare game. Offered nothing. Looked lost. Didn't win one ball from his marker. Poor movement and awareness.

Barny Soady also had a poor game. 

Steve Claridges Salisbury played decent football. Peter Beadles Yate played hoofball. It was awful...might as well never bothered with a midfield. Totally by passed. 

Stand out player for Salisbury was their number 10 Brandon Goodship. Hell of a strike on him with both feet. Good awareness and movement. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Of the City lads on loan...Omar was Yates best performer by far. Prince Henry got hooked...he had a nightmare game. Offered nothing. Looked lost. Didn't win one ball from his marker. Poor movement and awareness.

Steve Claridges Salisbury played decent football. Peter Beadles Yate played hoofball. It was awful...might as well never bothered with a midfield. Totally by passed. 

Stand out player for Salisbury was their number 10 Brandon Goodship. Hell of a strike on him with both feet. Good awareness and movement. 

Ex Yeovil and Weymouth so there`s the Claridge connection I guess.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Goodship dropping down the levels. Was at Southend in football league for couple of seasons. Then at Weymouth in National League.

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Ex Yeovil and Weymouth so there`s the Claridge connection I guess.

Just now, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Goodship dropping down the levels. Was at Southend in football league for couple of seasons. Then at Weymouth in National League.

Yes I looked him up whilst watching. 27 now. 

Was good to listen and compare Claridge with Beadle...apart from the obvious size difference, Claridge was good vocally. Not overly...but everything was clear and precise.

Beadle just sat and said nothing. No direction...even during drinks breaks and injuries...he didn't speak to the players. Yet Claridge did. 

Wasn't impressed with Beadle today.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes I looked him up whilst watching. 27 now. 

Was good to listen and compare Claridge with Beadle...apart from the obvious size difference, Claridge was good vocally. Not overly...but everything was clear and precise.

Beadle just sat and said nothing. No direction...even during drinks breaks and injuries...he didn't speak to the players. Yet Claridge did. 

Wasn't impressed with Beadle today.

Totally agree with all the observations Spud, that was dire today. I’m not sure what Beadles plan was but it was clear it wasn’t working - the first goal on four minutes had been coming even then. Prince Henry and Olly Mehew up top aren’t a physical presence but Yate decided to bang the ball long to their right side and won the square root of nothing. 

Agree that Taylor-Clarke did well in a futile cause. But he needed presence with him and Tulmelty added nothing.

The most damning thing on Beadle is that it was going wrong early and he made no attempt to talk to the team or reorganise. (In the words of my son he sat on his fat arse all game!) Fleetwood was active, but Beadle did nothing and it didn’t seem Fleets spoke to him so he clearly wasn’t giving SF directions to pass on.

That was totally abysmal. A world away from last season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Totally agree with all the observations Spud, that was dire today. I’m not sure what Beadles plan was but it was clear it wasn’t working - the first goal on four minutes had been coming even then. Prince Henry and Olly Mehew up top aren’t a physical presence but Yate decided to bang the ball long to their right side and won the square root of nothing. 

Agree that Taylor-Clarke did well in a futile cause. But he needed presence with him and Tulmelty added nothing.

The most damning thing on Beadle is that it was going wrong early and he made no attempt to talk to the team or reorganise. (In the words of my son he sat on his fat arse all game!) Fleetwood was active, but Beadle did nothing and it didn’t seem Fleets spoke to him so he clearly wasn’t giving SF directions to pass on.

That was totally abysmal. A world away from last season.

Yes...I agree with all of that mate.

Totally light weight up front...and we kept kicking long balls to them. Won nothing. Dire tactics.

I was stood between both dug outs. Like you say... Fleetwood was talking, but no conversation or direction given by Beadle to him. He just sat there...I heard him speak just once to a defender. 

Totally disjointed. Very poor...like you say, a world away from last season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spudski said:

was never going to last they are a not a southern prem club, playing above their level, bit like Rovers. We dont like them in Weston

Edited by MattWSM
typo

Watching Bridgwater win easily 4-0 today against Bitton, Bridgwater looked class easy to see why they are top of the table , they hit the bar and post it could have easily been another 6 or 7 goal game for them, it's so refreshing watching a side playing such attacking football, in Jack Taylor they have a quality striker who I think could easily play at a much higher level, 

Looking forward to watching the derby match against Street this Friday,

7 hours ago, MattWSM said:

was never going to last they are a not a southern prem club, playing above their level, bit like Rovers. We dont like them in Weston

Weston were excellent yesterday at Poole, winning 3-1 to stay equal top of the league. Adding Reuben Reid (ex Plymouth) up front to an already solid squad for this level really looks to have given them the edge - real promotion contenders this year. I always think finding genuine quality up front at this level is incredibly hard but Reid and Marlon Jackson look so dangerous as a partnership and work well off each other and Dayle Grubb in behind them still must be the most talented player on the league (although now into his 30s I assume).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MattWSM said:

Maybe...but they are investing heavily. Money from sale of land and property being built. New clubhouse two storey, gym, community pitch...to be open everyday. Should bring in more regular revenue outside of matchday. 

They can't be that had if Tinman trusts them to loan academy players to.

It's a nicely run club imo.

• Like 2

Yate were surprisingly good last season. Southern Premier is a good standard of football.

Pre Covid I was slowly falling out of love of football. Throughout the pandemic I didn't miss going to up to Bristol, to watch games. The cost getting there was increasing and the match day experience was getting expensive.

I then went and watched my local team, Gosport. Season ticket costs £145 adults, £65 concessions and £30 for Armed Forces/Veterans and Blue Lights people. U16 don't pay.

Cheap beer and cider, you can drink in the stand and good banter between players and fans. Last season at Gosport was more enjoyable every 90 minutes than I have experienced at Ashton Gate for years. Gosport get crowds of +500 even for a midweek fixture.

I feel non-league has a lot to offer, especially the local community. It will be very interesting to see with the cost of living how many fans will continue to attend matches in the Premier/Championship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gosport_Red said:

Yate were surprisingly good last season. Southern Premier is a good standard of football.

Pre Covid I was slowly falling out of love of football. Throughout the pandemic I didn't miss going to up to Bristol, to watch games. The cost getting there was increasing and the match day experience was getting expensive.

I then went and watched my local team, Gosport. Season ticket costs £145 adults, £65 concessions and £30 for Armed Forces/Veterans and Blue Lights people. U16 don't pay.

Cheap beer and cider, you can drink in the stand and good banter between players and fans. Last season at Gosport was more enjoyable every 90 minutes than I have experienced at Ashton Gate for years. Gosport get crowds of +500 even for a midweek fixture.

I feel non-league has a lot to offer, especially the local community. It will be very interesting to see with the cost of living how many fans will continue to attend matches in the Premier/Championship.

I will be watching Gosport on Bank Hol Monday as they travel to the mighty Winch!

Living locally have watched Winch a few times last year and while they did well to go up, early signs are this league is a bridge too far. Well beaten yesterday by Truro and while Truro are very good at this level, Winch hardly registered a shot in anger.

Highlight/lowlight for me was Truro boss Paul Wotton (yes him) calling me a 'effing maggot' for audibly applauding the ref who told him off for his abusive language ?

• Like 1

Watched Yate v Dorchester yesterday. Entertaining game for a 0-0. How Yate never scored in second half I'll never know. Hit bar and had a period of about 4 shots on target all rebounding back out. 

Young Omar has been recalled by City.

Maybe he will play today against Birmingham?

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Watched Yate v Dorchester yesterday. Entertaining game for a 0-0. How Yate never scored in second half I'll never know. Hit bar and had a period of about 4 shots on target all rebounding back out. 

How did Prince Henry play?

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How did Prince Henry play?

He's not impressed me as much as Omar did.

He played deeper yesterday.

His best play was when he came deeper to receive the ball, rather than playing off the shoulder. 

The physical aspect of men's football will definitely help him out.

However I'm not sure Yate is a good fit for him. I guess it depends on what City feel he needs to develop on.

Yate is pretty much a new team this year...new players, new manager. They probably need time to gell. Not so impressed by quality this season as last. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

That’s a strange one. As far as I know, loans to Yate and the ilk can still play U21 while being loaned out. He did look far better than PH though in the Yate game I saw, and if Beadle is persisting in long ball it might be that he’s got a loan higher up/to a better footballing team that will develop him

• Like 1