IGNORED

Not City related, sorry. Looking for advice for area this side of London to get a hotel and get underground/tube to Wembley.

CiderCraig

3 hours ago, hantsred said:

Hillingdon Tube stop just of the M40. Cheap tube in and out and ample parking at station + reasonable rate(at least on Sunday when I last used it). Only negative is that it can be a bit of bun fight getting out of the car park.

THIS. 

Apart from the car park bit. I've not used it for a Wembley trip. Only other events.

Also the entrance/exit is a little obstructed so you may miss it on the first pass.

Edited by TBW
  • Like 1

Easiest from the M4 is Chiswick  The only issue is that it’s a bit more of a tube ride than say Uxbridge as you have go into Green Park to get the Jubilee line to take you to Wembley Park. Takes about 40 minutes on the tube but easy drive out on the way back. If it’s a Sunday you can park for free on Turnham Green Terrace (if you get there early enough to get a space) then get the tube at Turnham Green which is the very edge of Zone 2. It’s what I did with my son for both the 2012 Olympics and the JPT final in 2015. Back around 2000, I used to live around the corner off Chiswick High Street on the same street as John Thaw. Couldn’t afford it now!!

7 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

High Wycombe. You can get a direct train to Wembley and the return journey is easier than going into central London

This. Anywhere on the Chiltern Line, from Wycombe or Amersham down, get a hotel there and a short trip into the smoke. Wycombe branch linked to Wembley.

15 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

This. Anywhere on the Chiltern Line, from Wycombe or Amersham down, get a hotel there and a short trip into the smoke. Wycombe branch linked to Wembley.

Not the slow Amersham single track line! You want the Banbury line so High Wycombe, Beaconsfield or Gerard’s Cross.  High Wycombe has the biggest station and most train options, and there are reasonable budget hotels there too.

5 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Not the slow Amersham single track line! You want the Banbury line so High Wycombe, Beaconsfield or Gerard’s Cross.  High Wycombe has the biggest station and most train options, and there are reasonable budget hotels there too.

Yeah, true, Amersham is mebbe 30 mins to Marylebone...dunno about Wycombe (don't use that line) but the advantage it has is that it's on the same line as Wembley. Mind you, Wycombe's a dump, whereas Amersham's quite nice.

PS Amersham also on the tube, although it takes about 3 years to get there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Richard Head said:

I normally drive to Richmond and park at the athletics ground. Try JustPark app.

Or the car park next to the station, which is not expensive compared to central London options.

Another option is to get on the M3 and park at Basingstoke on The Anvil (a theatre with parking on the roof), which is 2 minutes' walk to Basingstoke railway station, from whence you are an hour regular service away from London.  Long-term parking at The Anvil is really good value. 

I was in London recently with a couple of friends and in or near Earls Court, Olympia way we got a family room- 3 separate beds, £44 per head per night...not bad, inclusive of breakfast (okay continental granted) and free wi-fi. Nice enough place too. Found the name- Mowbray Court Hotel.

Dunno if that's a bit far- also dunno if (my friend did the booking) if it's always that affordable or was some special deal. Few minutes walk from Earls Court Tube Station too.