IGNORED

Charged By The FA

Silvio Dante

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

A pretty routine process these days.

Nevertheless even the odious Nathan Jones described Freeman as petulant and stupid. Not petulant and stupid enough for a red card according to the referee though.

petulant , as we know from the kick out on Joe Williams, is a booking. It's not aggressive or violent which is Red.  :argh:

43 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nevertheless even the odious Nathan Jones described Freeman as petulant and stupid. Not petulant and stupid enough for a red card according to the referee though.

Is it too late for them to award a penalty to Luton for this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Same night, League 2 Mansfield v Wimbledon, Chris Gunter sent off for the same offence which saw Freeman only booked. Presently we have no consistency in refereeing across the EFL. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Same night, League 2 Mansfield v Wimbledon, Chris Gunter sent off for the same offence which saw Freeman only booked. Presently we have no consistency in refereeing across the EFL. 

Chris Gunter might have been sent off for being Chris Gunter, though?

Obnoxious ****.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Could Freewilly get cited after the event like in Rugby ?

No unfortunately because the Ref saw it and dealt with  it on the day. The FA never go against a ref's decision. 

If it had been violent conduct and it didn't appear in the Ref's post match report then a retrospective punishment could be applied.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

You will never have consistency of refereeing across the EFL, the most you can ever hope for is consistency of a referee's decision during a match. 

Thing is, Gunter’s was actually worse. He used his hands, which were up around the head/neck area and so this was more likely to result in a red. Freeman actually was clever not to use his arms or hands and just barged with his chest, hence why it wasn’t deemed violent conduct. 
Gunter’s has been rescinded so was wrongfully dismissed. Freeman’s was softer than Gunter’s and so this backs up my thoughts that Freeman’s was rightly just a yellow. 
As I said a few times on threads yesterday, the ref was much maligned but he actually got the Sykes and Freeman decisions spot on. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thing is, Gunter’s was actually worse. He used his hands, which were up around the head/neck area and so this was more likely to result in a red. Freeman actually was clever not to use his arms or hands and just barged with his chest, hence why it wasn’t deemed violent conduct. 
Gunter’s has been rescinded so was wrongfully dismissed. Freeman’s was softer than Gunter’s and so this backs up my thoughts that Freeman’s was rightly just a yellow. 
As I said a few times on threads yesterday, the ref was much maligned but he actually got the Sykes and Freeman decisions spot on. 

I didn’t agree with your assessment of City’s performance after the sending off H, but I do agree with your comments about the ref.  There’s an awful lot of hysteria about refereeing standards, but you never hear a manager complain when their team benefits from a wrong decision!  The fact is that refs call it as they see it, and how often do fans get it wrong?  Refs are not incompetent, they’re not biased, but without VAR they have a split second to make a decision and when the situation is unclear, inevitably they will sometimes get it wrong.  I’ve looked at the Atkinson penalty shout several times and even with the benefit of slow-mo and freeze frame I’m not certain it was a penalty.

The fact is that the game relies on respect for the ref at all levels (there are major problems with numbers of available referees in grassroots football because of referee abuse) and for Pearson to talk about retiring because of the poor standard of refereeing is, frankly, a bit ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I didn’t agree with your assessment of City’s performance after the sending off H, but I do agree with your comments about the ref.  There’s an awful lot of hysteria about refereeing standards, but you never hear a manager complain when their team benefits from a wrong decision!  The fact is that refs call it as they see it, and how often do fans get it wrong?  Refs are not incompetent, they’re not biased, but without VAR they have a split second to make a decision and when the situation is unclear, inevitably they will sometimes get it wrong.  I’ve looked at the Atkinson penalty shout several times and even with the benefit of slow-mo and freeze frame I’m not certain it was a penalty.

The fact is that the game relies on respect for the ref at all levels (there are major problems with numbers of available referees in grassroots football because of referee abuse) and for Pearson to talk about retiring because of the poor standard of refereeing is, frankly, a bit ridiculous.

Absolutely Praggers. 
Hey, and it’s fine to disagree with me (most people did on that one yesterday anyway ?). 
But you’re right, I’ve watched the Atkinson one back a few times too and slowed it right down as well. I can’t see it as a “blatantly obvious penalty” as has been the majority shout on here. 
The ref had the best view of anyone and I reckon he called it right. 
Same at the Atkinson one at Hull - I’ve watched that a few times and I think Atkinson throws himself to the floor a bit too easily. 
As you say, lots of hyperbole flying around at the refs and I too don’t agree with Pearson’s comments. 
Do Bristol City have a major problem with being awarded penalties - hell yeah. The stats speak for themselves. Is this some wild conspiracy against us - absolutely not. 

Anyway, talking of conspiracies, I’ve got one of my own (which I shared on Exiled Robins Twitter show last night). 

VAR has been established in the Prem. I reckon they’re pushing for it in the Champ. 
It’s the classic Problem, Reaction, Solution. 

Problem
Purposely create a problem (all refs to be incompetently poor at the start of the championship season). 

Reaction
Players, managers, fans, media, boards all react to the awful refereeing and come to the conclusion that the standards are worsening and something needs to be done. 

Solution 
Hello Championship grounds, my name is VAR and I’m here to help. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Well its been rescinded so in that casei t completely undermines niges and fans arguing about Freeman should have been sent off. 

Sometimes better to wait take a step back and see, as the ref giving a yellow for it has now had it confirmed he was right and not a sending off, when compared to others for same thing. 

Totes buggers up the vitriol on here mind

52 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

About 1m 16in here

The opposite isn’t it. The refereeing inconsistency (consistently inconsistent) is the issue. Particularly as The EFL advised clubs of what the standards (for decisions was going to be and how offenses would be deemed) were going to be this season. In this case a red card over turned because the EFL panel thought the referee got it wrong. 

I agree with the bloke who said Gunther was less violent than freeman but I guess it’s a matter of Oppinion. However the bloke who kicked out at Williams in the previous match was extraordinarily lucky to stay on. 

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Well its been rescinded so in that casei t completely undermines niges and fans arguing about Freeman should have been sent off. 

Sometimes better to wait take a step back and see, as the ref giving a yellow for it has now had it confirmed he was right and not a sending off, when compared to others for same thing. 

Does it ****, the Mansfield ref got it WRONG !

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

Absolutely Praggers. 
Hey, and it’s fine to disagree with me (most people did on that one yesterday anyway ?). 
But you’re right, I’ve watched the Atkinson one back a few times too and slowed it right down as well. I can’t see it as a “blatantly obvious penalty” as has been the majority shout on here. 
The ref had the best view of anyone and I reckon he called it right. 
Same at the Atkinson one at Hull - I’ve watched that a few times and I think Atkinson throws himself to the floor a bit too easily. 
As you say, lots of hyperbole flying around at the refs and I too don’t agree with Pearson’s comments. 
Do Bristol City have a major problem with being awarded penalties - hell yeah. The stats speak for themselves. Is this some wild conspiracy against us - absolutely not. 

Anyway, talking of conspiracies, I’ve got one of my own (which I shared on Exiled Robins Twitter show last night). 

VAR has been established in the Prem. I reckon they’re pushing for it in the Champ. 
It’s the classic Problem, Reaction, Solution. 

Problem
Purposely create a problem (all refs to be incompetently poor at the start of the championship season). 

Reaction
Players, managers, fans, media, boards all react to the awful refereeing and come to the conclusion that the standards are worsening and something needs to be done. 

Solution 
Hello Championship grounds, my name is VAR and I’m here to help. 

Unfortunately I think that VAR happening at this level is only a matter of time, and the FA/EFL are just waiting for the right time to insist on it.

Unfortunately for them, VAR in the Premiership is still far from perfect.

A better solution, is that the referees at all levels are trained to the same standard, and have to have some sort of consistency, because what Ref A sees as a red card, Ref B sees as a yellow, whilst Ref C isn't bothered and tells the player to get up.

Pierluigi Collina. There was a Ref that was fair, competent, and very rarely made the wrong call. He also looked like someone that could handle themselves, unlike some of the wet farts that do the job over here.

I'd personally like to see some ex pros take up the job once they retire. You're not going to argue with the ref if it's Roy Keane running around with a whistle, as he's quite likely to turn around and headbutt you!!!

Why is there not a league ranking for referees? Make the mistake, lose points, get relegated to a lower level. Promotion and relegation just like the clubs. 

Yes they'll all at some point make mistakes, they're human. Make them accountable though. The standard of refereeing in this country is awful.

10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Freeman attacked Sykes from behind . It could have created a life changing damage to Sykes . Go research whip lash as you keep repeating total nonsense that Freeman was not doing anything bad.  He attacked from behind with brutal force . Do that on a Saturday night and you will end up in court . It is very different if players are facing each other .  It was a dangerous action that could have resulted in substantial injury . That is a red card . It was violent conduct . Before he set off , he was protesting to the ref , so was hardly injured , yet chose to attack another player . 

I have seen first hand the damage a violent push from behind can do . You are way way off the mark . That person ended up with a fractured neck and was partially paralysed for many years . It has no place in football and should not be brushed under the carpet as you are doing .  

Excellently put (sorry to hear you have first hand experience of the damage caused by this sort of assault).

Sykes' challenge was worth a red card. Studs or not, it could have caused a serious injury. 

Freeman's reaction, for reasons mentioned above alone should also have been shown a red. He also knew what he was doing, and by doing so could easily have gotten another of our players sent off, so there's another reason for the red.

What o find interesting is that last season we got changed and fined following an assault on Bentley at Stoke. 
I agree that Skye’s tackle may have been hard but Gerry Gow , Norman Hunter tackled like that every week. 
Freeman pushed Skye’s to the ground even his own manager said he was out of order. 
The players getting involved to try and prevent further reaction! Once again poor officials have lost control with no idea what happened! So FA charge the club for failing to control their players ! Will the referee get fined or mentioned in dispatches no way 

3 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

What o find interesting is that last season we got changed and fined following an assault on Bentley at Stoke. 
I agree that Skye’s tackle may have been hard but Gerry Gow , Norman Hunter tackled like that every week. 
Freeman pushed Skye’s to the ground even his own manager said he was out of order. 
The players getting involved to try and prevent further reaction! Once again poor officials have lost control with no idea what happened! So FA charge the club for failing to control their players ! Will the referee get fined or mentioned in dispatches no way 

No the referee is never wrong. If suspected of incompetency, he may be sent to the VAR booth.

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

How do we know that they didn't use Freeman's yellow as an example why it shouldn't have been a red for Gunther?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

How do we know that they didn't use Freeman's yellow as an example why it shouldn't have been a red for Gunther?

I would suggest the League 2 referee hit the decisions right in that game and the guy we had on Tuesday missed the penalty on Atkinson (I thought it was clearly a foul at the time and having watched the multi-angle replays even more convinced) plus under-appreciated the violence of Freeman on Sykes. A shove from behind knocking someone to the floor with the ferocity  that Freeman used was violent conduct, hands or no hands.

As for VAR at this level, considering most linesmen seem to struggle with getting offside decisions correct (Tuesday night in the first half there was one Luton forward who was a yard offside as the ball was played through to him but no flag was forthcoming) and referees can’t tell a dive from a foul or vice versa then it does seem just a matter of time before it appears.

• Like 1