IGNORED

Charged By The FA

Silvio Dante

Heaven forbid the ref could have spotted Sykes being manhandled and given a free kick. Let’s just play on and then call everyone out for misdemeanours. FA/FL need to take a proper look at the refs/officials generally. Lots of people have difficult jobs, most are held accountable if they can’t achieve a vaguely sensible level of competence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

No unfortunately because the Ref saw it and dealt with  it on the day. The FA never go against a ref's decision

If it had been violent conduct and it didn't appear in the Ref's post match report then a retrospective punishment could be applied.

Genuine question MR, I thought a red card offence could be withdrawn after the event.

If I'd read on, more posts have explained my query :thumbsup:

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 1

Well its about time football took a leaf out of rugby and miked up the refs with an arbitrator watching from the stand to either back up or amend a decision. This would cut out all of the back chat dissent and would help the crowd to understand a decision. VAR is too costly below the Premier League and it takes too much time for a decision to be made. Its also more controversial as there's still an element of doubt.

12 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Yes and, asthe referee has had it confirmed sending off Gunter was wrong, it means that the yellow for Freeman was right. Ergo Niges rant looks silly 

The hyperbole and vitriol for refs on here is quite alarming 

You do get that Pearson’s words (Rant ?. ?) was not just about the Freeman / Sykes incident , or even the refereeing in the Luton Game, but about the general standard of refereeing 

You got the bit regarding the letter from the Match Officials Organisation that Hulls penalty should not have been awarded and we should have been awarded two in the same game ? , just for example 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, downendcity said:

In these days of trans/pan/everytypeof/sexual I presume a geezer can be a bloke, a girl, a girl identifying as a bloke, a bloke who identifies as a girl and girls and blokes who identify as don't really know!

Do NOT get us oldies started on this subject Downend please. My 20 year old daughter tore me to pieces over my views on it! ??

Bloody teapots and toasters, self publicity IMHO. If you have a dick, you're a bloke, if you haven't, you ain't, simples!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Taz said:

Unfortunately I think that VAR happening at this level is only a matter of time, and the FA/EFL are just waiting for the right time to insist on it.

Unfortunately for them, VAR in the Premiership is still far from perfect.

A better solution, is that the referees at all levels are trained to the same standard, and have to have some sort of consistency, because what Ref A sees as a red card, Ref B sees as a yellow, whilst Ref C isn't bothered and tells the player to get up.

Pierluigi Collina. There was a Ref that was fair, competent, and very rarely made the wrong call. He also looked like someone that could handle themselves, unlike some of the wet farts that do the job over here.

I'd personally like to see some ex pros take up the job once they retire. You're not going to argue with the ref if it's Roy Keane running around with a whistle, as he's quite likely to turn around and headbutt you!!!

Why is there not a league ranking for referees? Make the mistake, lose points, get relegated to a lower level. Promotion and relegation just like the clubs. 

Yes they'll all at some point make mistakes, they're human. Make them accountable though. The standard of refereeing in this country is awful.

There is a league ranking for referees in every league. But it’s for the officials to see themselves. 
Ex players being referees!!, didn’t we have one last season, and he was roundly slagged off on here by the usual sorts. Ex pros don’t want to referee, mainly because they are rich, and know the kind of shite they constantly would get just for making honest decisions.

The game is faster, stronger, more cheating, diving etc in this country than it ever has been, but constantly people on here just want to attack the officials. 

Referees at the top level will have been doing it for 20-30 years, you may not be aware, but they will have come up through from the very bottom of the pyramid, they know the laws, they adhere to the laws, and are good at what they do, even under very difficult circumstances.

The majority of football fans don’t even know all the laws!. 

Playing the game is a million miles away from refereeing a game, it’s 100% different. If you don’t realise this, then go and take the course, and go and referee a game!. 

10 hours ago, bpexile said:

Genuine question MR, I thought a red card offence could be withdrawn after the event.

If I'd read on, more posts have explained my query :thumbsup:

A few seasons back Kamera of Fulham was sent off for an assault on Bailey Wright. He was given a 3 match ban for violent conduct. Fulham appealed and Kamera red card was overturned! To make things worse Bailey Wright was then given a 3 match ban for simulation! 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

A few seasons back Kamera of Fulham was sent off for an assault on Bailey Wright. He was given a 3 match ban for violent conduct. Fulham appealed and Kamera red card was overturned! To make things worse Bailey Wright was then given a 3 match ban for simulation! 

One extreme to the other :doh:.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

There is a league ranking for referees in every league. But it’s for the officials to see themselves. 
Ex players being referees!!, didn’t we have one last season, and he was roundly slagged off on here by the usual sorts. Ex pros don’t want to referee, mainly because they are rich, and know the kind of shite they constantly would get just for making honest decisions.

The game is faster, stronger, more cheating, diving etc in this country than it ever has been, but constantly people on here just want to attack the officials. 

Referees at the top level will have been doing it for 20-30 years, you may not be aware, but they will have come up through from the very bottom of the pyramid, they know the laws, they adhere to the laws, and are good at what they do, even under very difficult circumstances.

The majority of football fans don’t even know all the laws!. 

Playing the game is a million miles away from refereeing a game, it’s 100% different. If you don’t realise this, then go and take the course, and go and referee a game!. 

The one thing that playing the game gives you is an understanding of how players think and behave, particularly when it comes to simulation and conning referees.

I only played to county league level, but even I can see players' cheating, even though I have no refereeing experience or qualification and my playing days were a long time ago and when play acting/simulation/cheating was nothing like it is these days. I've long felt that referees are , in general, too naive in this respect and wonder whether how many of them played to any level in senior football, so as to understand the game from a players perspective.

Both clubs charged for that on Tuesday night?

Football these days is just reflecting society in general where there's always got to be a problem, an issue, something to be dealt with, someone to be offended, someone in the wrong etc etc etc. and it's seriously starting to get on my tits.

There is nothing the clubs have to answer for. NOTHING.

The ref sent someone off, gave ther other a yellow (and in my opnion, rightly)

END of story.

But no..

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

The hyperbole and vitriol for refs on here is quite alarming 

It’s because they (refs and their assistants) make a series of bad decisions, not just the big ones but simple fouls or throws.  They aren’t up to the job.  They are now professional, yet standards declined.  They have become more wrapped up in protecting themselves that they’ve missed the bigger picture of getting more and more wrong, adjusting rules in the process, which is the wrong approach.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

How the **** can (both) clubs be held responsible for a rush of blood from any player, totally ridiculous !

You do realise the charge relates to the players reactions after the challenge and not the actual offence?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I appreciate your view but entirely disagree. 

People go looking for problems and they will find them. It's starts from a place of bad faith as its looking for blame. 

Football is a composite if multiple different factors that includes, players, managers, refs and lines people. 

In all those components things go wrong because everyone involved is human. 

Bashing referees is particular and peculiar as it is a uk lead thing. 

Struggled to find anything from abroad (Real Madrid bias, and scant else) and what little is out there tends to be Brit based or British players making the accusations 

Somewhere we've become fed the lines that refs are rubbish, started to believe it and then started to look out for more. 

We've ignored our own changes and expectations and that we're now projecting them on to others. 

I'm not worried about bad officials as I don't think they are bad. I think people's perception is they are though because they are looking for that to be their answer (there's a name for ir it, confirmation bias??) 

It becomes circular, more hyped up and long ago ceased to be about objectivity. 

Other views are available always welcome discussion :)

You may well entirely disagree, but you are making a lot of sweeping statements about people’s psyche (and my own if I’m included in those sweeping statements) and that these “people” are looking for someone, something to blame. We are not all sheep (“being fed a line”) as you allude to, just sharing our views that we’ve seen a decline in standards over a period of time. Sorry, but some of us have our own minds, Im surprised you of all people on here would throw that accusation back out!

The objective is that we want better refereeing, not someone to blame.  I’d rather a game was decided / influenced by the 22-32 players that get onto the pitch, not 3+1 officials, that’s not their job.  If they continue their trend of making more and more errors, they will influence more and more results.  That is bad for football.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Yip, to me was a rant, fuelled by Luton decisions that Nige was pissed with. Yet ref was correct. 

It's a strange hill to fall on your sword over for Nige, but hey ho 

Was it.  More likely related to previous decisions, PGMOL letter, possibly Atkinson’s no-penalty, maybe that Freeman didn’t get a red card.

What was the ref correct about in your opinion - Freeman yellow because of Gunter’s overturn?

You do realise the difference between Gunter and Sykes / Freeman.  I’ll explain (trying not to sound condescending):

Sykes - fouled Freeman, ref deemed to be a red card.  Bristol City Manager Nigel Pearson thought that was the right decision under the current rules.  Bristol City’s right of appeal, not exercised, as would be churlish, especially after Nige had said what he did.

Freeman - chest-butted Sykes when he wasn’t looking.  Dangerous imho and Nige’s, but ref gave Freeman a yellow.  Bristol City have no right of appeal.  Luton have no right of appeal on a yellow card, nor would I imagine Nathan Jones wanting it upgraded to a red!

The parallel drawing with Gunter is therefore non-existent.

Gunter - is rough with his opponent, gets red carded.  Wimbledon manager Jonnie Jackson has right of appeal, exercises it, and gets decision overturned.

That does not mean ref got Freeman yellow correct.  I could argue that Sykes wasn’t a red card because O’Nien’s wasn’t.  The facts are the ref got Sykes right, O’Nien’s wrong.

Its really strange to bash Nige every tinsy-winsy chance you get too!

• Like 3

I think there is a big problem only giving a yellow for what Freeman and the Wigan player did. It basically sends a message to say that if you deliberately target a player who is not even in play with the ball it’s fine. Go ahead , you might get yellow. You might even cause a melee and get two clubs fined. But no sweat , just a yellow because you got p*ssed off that someone brought you down beforehand. It cannot be acceptable to deliberately target a player like that where the ball isn’t even with the player. 

With the way decisions have been going you can almost guarantee if one of our players loses it against Cardiff and kicks out or shoves, it’s going to be a red. But the precedent has been set…. 

• Like 1

Really strange. I've not 'bashed' anyone  so find it most bizarre you've put 2 and 2 and equalled 157. 

Indeed I've been  pro nige this season thus far, so respectfully give your head a wobble. Check my posts. 

That's your predilection and you are directing your anger at the wrong person. 

You are pissed off over referees I get that. Im not referees nor am I your anger towards them. 

I'll take an apology when you've calmed down, as quite frankly im not here to be your cat to kick around or be at the wrong end of someones anger. 

I lived with that for two years and ill be buggered if I'm going to take it from a poster online who offered peace, and then launches both barrels at the wrong person when they're pissy. 

Hard no from me

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The objective is that we want better refereeing, not someone to blame.  I’d rather a game was decided / influenced by the 22-32 players that get onto the pitch, not 3+1 officials, that’s not their job.  If they continue their trend of making more and more errors, they will influence more and more results.  That is bad for football.

That is precisely what Nigel is saying despite attempts in some quarters to distort his words. I'm sure other managers feel the same, they're just happy for Nigel to take the heat.

It's also why a change is pending at the top of the PGOML because Premier League clubs feel the same.

There is a downward trend in standards that needs to be addressed. That's not a question of punishing a referee for having a bad game but improving the performance of those who regularly fall below the required standard.

• Like 1

Really strange. I've not 'bashed' anyone  so find it most bizarre you've put 2 and 2 and equalled 157. 

Indeed I've been  pro nige this season thus far, so respectfully give your head a wobble. Check my posts. 

That's your predilection and you are directing your anger at the wrong person. 

You are pissed off over referees I get that. Im not referees nor am I your anger towards them. 

I'll take an apology when you've calmed down, as quite frankly im not here to be your cat to kick around or be at the wrong end of someones anger. 

I lived with that for two years and ill be buggered if I'm going to take it from a poster online who offered peace, and then launches both barrels at the wrong person when they're pissy. 

Hard no from me

Perhaps refrain from telling others that their opinions / views and the way they form them are wrong, and you won’t get get a reaction..

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

That is precisely what Nigel is saying despite attempts in some quarters to distort his words. I'm sure other managers feel the same, they're just happy for Nigel to take the heat.

It's also why a change is pending at the top of the PGOML because Premier League clubs feel the same.

There is a downward trend in standards that needs to be addressed. That's not a question of punishing a referee for having a bad game but improving the performance of those who regularly fall below the required standard.

Yep, his media interview this afternoon, pretty much said the same as what I posted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

Apparently, Howard Webb is going to take charge.

I never thought I would think/say this, but I am rooting for you Howard.

On 19/08/2022 at 10:44, downendcity said:

The one thing that playing the game gives you is an understanding of how players think and behave, particularly when it comes to simulation and conning referees.

I only played to county league level, but even I can see players' cheating, even though I have no refereeing experience or qualification and my playing days were a long time ago and when play acting/simulation/cheating was nothing like it is these days. I've long felt that referees are , in general, too naive in this respect and wonder whether how many of them played to any level in senior football, so as to understand the game from a players perspective.

They don’t necessarily need to understand the game from a players perspective, but the vast majority will do, and will have also played the game. Perhaps players and fans should understand the game from a referees perspective?. 
Because it’s a completely different job than playing football. Players cheat and try and con officials, the official gets one view, and one look at an incident, they have to make their decision on what they see from the angle they see it. 
But, the main job of an official is to adhere to the laws of the game, that is their job, no if’s or buts, no grey areas, it’s either a foul or not a foul according to the laws of the game, and that is all they have to go by.
Accessors will judge how well they have done, not the crowd, not the players, and not a manager. 

Officials get 100% scrutinised by accessors in every game, you just can’t imagine how deep the accessors will go, it’s a minute by minute account of the game, fans would be amazed how thoroughly the officials are scrutinised.