IGNORED

Skonto 1 City 2

Busterrimes

As promised last night here is the first match report from a fans perspective. Gary Johnson was very approachable with us from the start today and talked through the team selection and his decision to play two different sides.

In the first half it was mostly a senior side with trialists Sako and Gindre playing. Sako played alongside Noble in the Centre of midfield.The pace of the game was quite high considering the heat today. I paid special attention to our new signings and trialists as I was interested to see how they fit in. Sako is a big lad who looked to to have a good first touch and can pass the ball effectively over short distances. I would like to see how he does when playing in a physical game though as this was never a physical game. Unfortunately he had to go off on the half hour with a tight hamstring. Phil Jevons looked very lively alongside Brooker and he was he wo set up the first goal with a cross from the right onto Brookers head. He also had a run beating two defenders before playing a one-two with Brooker before shooting just wide. Early signs are looking good for this partnership as Brooker had a chance just before the break when he shot over from the edge of the box.

The defence didn't look in trouble very often with both Keogh and Heywood winning most things in the air. Bradley Orr had a bit of a tough time against the Skonto left winger Andrejs Pereplotkins who is very pacy but the wingers final delivery wasn't great. The first half performance was very good.

The squad was totally changed at half time with both Jamie McCombe and Enoch Showunmi making their first appearance. The second half was quite stretched and a young City team weren't control as much as in the first but having said that we could have gone two up early on with McCombe having a header cleared off the line from a corner. Skonto huffed and puffed but still didn't look like scoring until with around 15 minutes left. Liam Fontaine missed and interception and Kristap Blanks fired home. Just before that triallist keeper Gindre pushed a shot from the edge of the box around the post. The good thing today was that even though this was a friendly we didn't let the heads drop and from a right wing corner Enoch flicked to McCombe who controlled and shot home the winner. Special mention goes to Danny Wring who had a good second half on the right wing and continuously beat his man.

All in all a good workout and a change to see that the new lads can play with the ball at their feet. Let's not get carried away though as this was not a physical game.

After the game GJ came across and took part in a short Q & A session with us fans regarding the game with was really good. The atmospere was really good as Gary has said on the OS with fans from Preston, Man City and Hibs also being present.

We managed to get Skonto shirts finally today. We got talking to the Latvian International Press Liaison and asked where we could get shirts and he immediately rang the Skonto PR department who came down and said they had some shirts for sale in the Press Office. So we are all proud owners of a Skonto shirt. The Skonto club couldn't do enough for us today and they have been great hosts. GJ and the team have all benn available too to answer questions. So a big thank you to them.

More tomorrow (if you can stand to read it) after the Olympic Riga match

Great report thanks very much, good to hear that the lads are continuing the form of last season and also that the newbe's have hit the ground running.

have a good time and i'm looking forward to the report of Latvia pt 2

cheers

Cheers Buster, keep it coming.

A few questions; what was the atmosphere like in general? GJ mentions the "50 odd" :Crazy: :D City fans present but what was the crowd like in total and how are the City fans being received by the locals?

You mention Wring, how did Lamb and Williams shape up in the 2nd half?

Any opposition players you reckon GJ may/should make a swoop for? The left winger sounds promising apart from the final ball.

Looking forward to the next installment. :city:

A few questions; what was the atmosphere like in general? GJ mentions the "50 odd" :Crazy: :D City fans present but what was the crowd like in total and how are the City fans being received by the locals?

nice friendly atmosphere, one side of the ground open, tried to get to the other side to put my flag up some security guy came round and steered me away.

not that many skonto fans, although they had about 20 ultras who stood up and made a lot of noise.

about three or four hundred crowd in total.

good result all in all, nice to see city come straight back and score after letting them equalise.

It aint half hot. :D

the new kit looks great, slighty darker shade of red, but quite classy. Championship winning material, not like last seasons shirt which mine is all but falling apart!

Thanks for all your kind words. The six of us are having a great time so far. Flaxbourton Red has answered most of the questions you all asked but I would say that both Lamb and Williams tried very hard. Lamb did well at the back although Skonto didn't ask us that many questions. Jennison struggled a lit today as he didn't get a lot of the ball but his head never dropped and he was being marked by a good defender.

The thing to remember about Skonto is that they have international players and are no mugs so today we should pleased.

The positive thing is that there is at attitude that we want to win every game which is the best way to be.

The new shirts are very nice and I can't wait to get one. I can't speak highly enough of the Latvian people, they really are very welcoming hosts.

Archived