IGNORED

Olympic Xi 1 City 1

Busterrimes

Good evening everyone, sorry for the late report but it's been one of those days. We had a wild goose chase around Riga this afternoon as we were told the stadium was on a certain bus route but this was in fact the University Stadium. We ended up getting back on a bus and heading back into town before getting a cab to the correct stadium. One of our friends wasn't so lucky as he got charged £15 for a £4 taxi ride.

When we did arrive we saw a very old concrete bowl that wouldn't have looked out of place in the 70s with the weirdest scoreboard ever. The City fans set a few flags up and managed to get a City flag flying from the stadium flagpole.

Olympic are the Junior side of Skonto so an arrangement from the two clubs saw City play a very young first half squad with Jamie McCombe, Scott Brown and Woody being the most experienced players. We started a bit nervy on a pitch that was part long grass, part weeds and part removable turf. McCombe made a great last ditch tackle when it appeared a Latvian forward would be clean through on Gindre. Our play was lively and the front two of Williams and Cotterill looked good. Williams shot just wide and then Cotterill then scored a very good goal from the edge of the box into the bottom corner. Just on half time a harsh foul by McCombe allowed the Left back to fire into the top corner from 35 yards. It was a bit touch on us.

At half time the squad was completely changed again and we had a very strong side out. We began to control the game and Basso hardly touched the ball. We did have chances and Jevo was very unlucky when he hit the bar and Enoch shot just wide when attacking the goal from an angle. Phil Jevons has shown he has a good touch and can pass a ball so it does bode well.

Again after the game Gary and all the players were available for photos, autographs and little chats. They stayed behind for at least half an hour so thanks again to everyone.

The lads have a day off tomorrow as they will be travelling to Jurmala.

This is my last report as we fly back on Thursday but Flaxbourton Red has said he will post a report on the Jurmala game.

Just a small update from Riga, Had a great night and the people are great. I ended up in a great place called called "Pervs" and it was very friendly, unfortuantly there werent too many woman but me and the guys in there had a great time! At one point they wanted me to go back to their hotels but I declined as I was too hungry! The Latvian food is great but I decided to stick with McDonalds!

Busy day tomorrow, I will be up by 13:00 for Breakfast with a siesta due for 15:00! I have some great pictures my friends took which I will post over the next few days so you can admire my beautiful booty!

Thats all for now, its doughnut time! Busterimes! :yawn:

Cheers again Buster, sounds great out there.

I like the sound of these post match chats/photo sessions with GJ and the lads - perhaps they could make this a regular occurrence at the Rising Sun or The 3 Lions in the coming season.

Looking forward to seeing any photos of the Stadiums/City fans & flags etc., but not the more personal one's. :blink:

Did anyone ask GJ if he was using the tour as a serious scouting mission as well?

Hard to believe with his past he's not going to bring a Latvian to City at some stage. :dunno:

Have a good trip back mate. :city:

Sounds like you guys are all having a great time over - well done in representing the club!

Good to hear that the locals are friendly and GJ has made time for you guys as well - now all we need is a perfect start to the season and life will be just peachy!

The "update" last night was done by my mates. I left myself logged on to the Hostel computer. Pervs is a gay bar and you can all guess what they are trying to imply.

To answer some of your questions, yes we did ask GJ if we were interested in any Latvian players and he said no. It's understandable because the Skonto manager is an English friend of GJ and as Skonto don't have to sell for financial reasons then I don't thing Gary wants to do "the dirty" on his friend.

I wouldn't be surprised if GJ was to arrange Q & A sessions with the players as he has been keen for us all to interact. Gary is approachable so the best thing to do is ask him.

Riga, itself is beautiful. I was expecting a grim East Eurpean city looking to modernise. It's simply not like that, the Old Town is lots of small cobbled streets with bars and restaurants which are lovely. You have a great beach resort half an hour away too. It's perfect for a short break. Oh and every women under 30 is beautiful.

I can't wait for next years tour!

good posts busterrimes, cant promise anything special on thurs, but ill lay off the beer, or try to!

must say gary Johnson and the city players have been great. Its been a great atmosphere on the tour and its good to see the team start to take shape. Scott brown and richard keogh played really well yesterday, but cant realy fault any player they are all working hard in the heat, it is realy hot out here.

The playing surface yesterday was horrendous, we have school piches better than that one. Parts of the surface were bald, other parts the grass was too long, it was so uneven it was unbelievable. There was even a small manhole cover with fake grass on it near the centre circle.

One of the best bits was when some of us were playing headers and volleys on the pitch prior to the lads coming out. Needless to say this didnt last that long with gary telling us to burger off, shortest trial ever!

it was a good laugh yesterday and we were all happy with the result esp since they had played yesterday. a good run out.

Archived