IGNORED

Gary Johnson Will Not Sign Experienced (big Name Players)

city_pete

Ever since the Marcus Stewart issue, I have seen many comments referring to Gary Johnson not wanting to work with palyers with "big egos", "big names" etc Apart from marcus stewart what evidence do we have of this.

To date in his English league career he has made the step up from every division he has managed and until now has not been in a position to actually recruit the "big names" so surely we should not make this assumption at this point as it does not appear to be fact.

What are the thoughts of everyone else??

To date in his English league career he has made the step up from every division he has managed and until now has not been in a position to actually recruit the "big names" so surely we should not make this assumption at this point as it does not appear to be fact.

Going up from the Conference to div 2 and from there to div 1 isn't the same as going up from div 1 to the Championship.

The CCC is pretty much the big time with lots of clubs with a fairly recent Premiership history.In getting promoted from the lower divisions teams don't always need to strengthen with 'big name' players.Lots get by with a blend of young players on the way up and older ones on the way down.In the CCC that won't be enough.

Some fans think that it won't be that big a step up next season.Well, imo they are wrong.There are alot of very good teams who have quality players - just take WBA and S'hampton for example.

Johnson does need to bring in some experieced championship players.They don't necessarilly have to be 'big names' and its possibly better if they are not - even journeyman players will do.Those who know what it takes to play at that level.

That why I'm a little concerned that City are linked with several players with no English league experience at all.If new players don't have a proven track record at the required level then Johnson would be taking a huge gamble on whether they will be able to hack it. His judgement is one thing but proof of ability is another.

That why I'm a little concerned that City are linked with several players with no English league experience at all.If new players don't have a proven track record at the required level then Johnson would be taking a huge gamble on whether they will be able to hack it. His judgement is one thing but proof of ability is another.
C Ronaldo, Henry, Robben etc didn't have any English league experience before there clubs signed them so going by what you said does that mean there clubs shouldn't have brought them? What about Hargreaves? He's never played in the English leagues so should Man Utd not sign him?

It really doesn't matter what league players play for, What matters is they have the ability or potential ability to play at a higher level.

In football you have to take risks, Michael Kightly was a risk for Wolves, But it worked out fine.

So if we sign some unknown from the lower Norwegian leagues then lets just give him a chance to prove himself. Cos at the end of the day GJ knows alot more than we do and in GJ we must trust.

Going up from the Conference to div 2 and from there to div 1 isn't the same as going up from div 1 to the Championship.

The CCC is pretty much the big time with lots of clubs with a fairly recent Premiership history.In getting promoted from the lower divisions teams don't always need to strengthen with 'big name' players.Lots get by with a blend of young players on the way up and older ones on the way down.In the CCC that won't be enough.

Some fans think that it won't be that big a step up next season.Well, imo they are wrong.There are alot of very good teams who have quality players - just take WBA and S'hampton for example.

Johnson does need to bring in some experieced championship players.They don't necessarilly have to be 'big names' and its possibly better if they are not - even journeyman players will do.Those who know what it takes to play at that level.

I totally agree, a balanced and realistic post.It is a huge step up from league 1, the quality in the Championship is very high. Endeavour, fitness, workrate and team spirit are assets City have in abundance, but we need the experience and quality to ensure that the step up is not a temporary one.

How many big time players did Reading have when they were promoted? Weren't they mostly signings for free , from Ireland and a couple of non-league players? Lita as well but that is only one player and at the time not a big time player. They weren't very experienced either at that level.

C Ronaldo, Henry, Robben etc didn't have any English league experience before there clubs signed them so going by what you said does that mean there clubs shouldn't have brought them? What about Hargreaves? He's never played in the English leagues so should Man Utd not sign him?

and they all did nothing for the 1st season. Henry didnt really make an impact over here for about 3 seasons. Robben was injured for most of his first season and all Ronaldo wanted to do in his first season was showboat far too much, dive and roll around, and whine/cry like a baby when he didnt get anything from the ref.

Granted all 3 have gone on to become world class players but it didnt happen striaght away.

Ever since the Marcus Stewart issue, I have seen many comments referring to Gary Johnson not wanting to work with palyers with "big egos", "big names" etc Apart from marcus stewart what evidence do we have of this.

I don't think he's afraid of big names or won't sign them. But what he wants is people who fit into his work ethic and are able to adapt to his way of thinking.

Would say for example Robbie fowler want to run his ass off for 90 minutes? Would he be fit enough to cope with the way the team plays? Would he want to be part of the Johnson way of playing or would he have his own ideas because he's been there and done it?

It's not that GJ wouldn't sign a player who has a big name, but people are linking us to 35 year old has beens and crocks. Players who don't look interested at their current clubs and can't stay fit enough to play. It just doesn't make any sense.

If a big name player has these assets that GJ wants, frankly they'd be somewhere else better and on far too much money!

Gary Speed would be a perfect signing for example, as he's got all the attributes we're looking for, but... the thing is because he does, he's a very good Premiership player!

The problem with signing expensive "big name" veterans is that if they were any good, they'd already be playing at this level or better!

I'm just waiting for someone to name a "big name player" who's available, affordable, adaptable and athletic.

and they all did nothing for the 1st season. Henry didnt really make an impact over here for about 3 seasons. Robben was injured for most of his first season and all Ronaldo wanted to do in his first season was showboat far too much, dive and roll around, and whine/cry like a baby when he didnt get anything from the ref.

Granted all 3 have gone on to become world class players but it didnt happen striaght away.

Henrys Stats

1999-2000 - 26 Goals

2000-2001 - 22 Goals

2001-2002 - 32 Goals

Now if thats not making an impact in your first 3 season i don't know what is.

Arjen Robben

2004-2005 - Played 29, Scored 9, Assisted 9,

thats not bad for a first season in English football

Cristiano Ronaldo

Maybe not such an impact - 39 games, 6 Goals and 4 Assists,

but even so how good he is now proves that if you spot the right potential it will benefit you down the long road.

Henrys Stats

1999-2000 - 26 Goals

2000-2001 - 22 Goals

2001-2002 - 32 Goals

Arjen Robben

Cristiano Ronaldo

but even so how good he is now proves that if you spot the right potential it will benefit you down the long road.

Didnt Henry not sign for Arsenal in 1998? When his first season was over, the media was slating him saying he should go back to Juventus.

With the amount of hype put around Robben, despite his injuries, he didnt live up to my expectations despite a decent first season.

As i said if you didnt read it properly, All 3 have gone on to great things now. Ronaldo is a very close 2nd best player in the world at the moment, Robben is running rings around full backs when he gets a chance and Henry has had a great couple of seasons despite being out for about half if this.

Didnt Henry not sign for Arsenal in 1998? When his first season was over, the media was slating him saying he should go back to Juventus.

With the amount of hype put around Robben, despite his injuries, he didnt live up to my expectations despite a decent first season.

As i said if you didnt read it properly, All 3 have gone on to great things now. Ronaldo is a very close 2nd best player in the world at the moment, Robben is running rings around full backs when he gets a chance and Henry has had a great couple of seasons despite being out for about half if this.

He played for Juventus in 1998-1999 but he had a poor season then only played 16 games scored 3 goals. The media wanted him to go elsewhere because he didnt score in his first ten games for Arsenal, but id be happy if a player didnt score in 10 but then went on to score 26 in a season.

Henrys Stats

1999-2000 - 26 Goals

2000-2001 - 22 Goals

2001-2002 - 32 Goals

Arjen Robben

Cristiano Ronaldo

Why Are we talking about Henry, Ronaldo and Robben in a 'Gary Johnsons Transfer Targets' post.

people these days are taking transfer rumours to far because we are in the championship. hang your head in shame. :preacher:

Why Are we talking about Henry, Ronaldo and Robben in a 'Gary Johnsons Transfer Targets' post.

people these days are taking transfer rumours to far because we are in the championship. hang your head in shame. :preacher:

Chris it is a comparator, its just a few people who have and havent settled in when moving from abroad, just to get more of an idea about whether players signing from other countries would fit the bill.

i know. It's jsut weird seeing all these major names under a Transfer Targets post. :innocent06:

lets hope Kjarten Henry Finnbogasson will get a goal scoring record like that when he comes to us in his first season in English Football.

that Saganowski of Southampton got 10 goals in 12 games last season from a French Club (Troyes i think) on loan. and they signed him permanently a week ago for peanuts and the saints are currently thrilled to bits about it.

It can be had. And Johnson is supposedly good at finding talent from abroad

Archived