IGNORED

The Gulf Between City And Charlton

havanatopia

Just looking at the mouth watering new signings at the Valley compared to The Gate and it illustrates the huge gulf between top of the Championship [expected] and somewhere below half way [? educated guess on these differences]

In

Svetoslav Todorov Portsmouth

Nicky Weaver Manchester City

Jose Vitor Semedo Sporting Lisbon

Yassin Moutaouakil Chateauroux

Patrick McCarthy Leicester City

Chris Iwelumo Colchester United

Luke Varney Crewe Alexandra

For sure we cannot expect to compete with such a list BUT...should even the likes of me, ever Mr. Patient, be starting to worry just a little that we may only, at best, actually need to be satisfied with simply 'making up the numbers' ??

To all intense and purposes we will be playing a Premiership team when the Charlton fixtures come around so I suspect, as of today's date, we really do now need to keep our expectations firmly on the ground.. comments welcome. :mafia::violin:

Just looking at the mouth watering new signings at the Valley compared to The Gate and it illustrates the huge gulf between top of the Championship [expected] and somewhere below half way [? educated guess on these differences]

In

For sure we cannot expect to compete with such a list BUT...should even the likes of me, ever Mr. Patient, be starting to worry just a little that we may only, at best, actually need to be satisfied with simply 'making up the numbers' ??

To all intense and purposes we will be playing a Premiership team when the Charlton fixtures come around so I suspect, as of today's date, we really do now need to keep our expectations firmly on the ground.. comments welcome. :mafia::violin:

Two words comes to mind MASSIVE GULF

Yep, Charlton look like they'll be a very good team and I'd expect them to win the league.

However, over the 8 or so years we were in the league below, we probably spent the sort of money and made the sort of signings that put a little fear into the likes of Colchester, Luton, Southend and Rotherham, only to see them finish above us time after time. Now, the gulf between the top and bottom will be far bigger in the Championship, but as mentioned above, good organisation and team spirit can make up for a lot, and it's not like we don't have some gifted players ourselves...

In

An ex-premiership team with ex-premiership players. I haven't even heard of some of those players. Having a long fancy foreign name doesn't make you good at football. We played Crewe last year though I can't remember if Varney played. Which rather sums him up.

I think there's a lot of confusion between good players and a good team. Johnson has a knack of getting a good team spirit going which can make up for a lack of top-notch players.

Bring them on, is what I say. :farmer:

An ex-premiership team with ex-premiership players. I haven't even heard of some of those players. Having a long fancy foreign name doesn't make you good at football. We played Crewe last year though I can't remember if Varney played. Which rather sums him up.

I think there's a lot of confusion between good players and a good team. Johnson has a knack of getting a good team spirit going which can make up for a lack of top-notch players.

I think you make some very valid points Chivs. I started this thread to open a debate and this is exactly where I, like Sir Colby, think we WILL finish in the top half. Why?... as you say..

1. Team Spirit

2. GJ's management skills

3. We are still on a high from last season which DOES count for quite a lot IMO

4. And we do have some good players.

The sooner we play one of the parachute payment teams the better in order to judge ourselves.

However GJ, I am sure, will be re-doubling his efforts to sign a striker and in light of Brooker's new injury worry.

I agree with everything you say except one point. Luke Varney is a very very good player. I've seen him play a number of times (live and on TV) and he's never failed to look like an extremely good player. I'd say it was a very good signing indeed.

We have less resources but also far less pressure. If Charlton don't look like getting promoted Pardew will be out by Xmas.

We will have to be shrewd in the transfer market but no matter how much you spend on players, it's still 11 vs 11 on the pitch, and this is football. Underdogs can and do win.

Teams like Watford, Barnsley, Wigan, Reading and Swindon have all made it into the Premiership without spending crazy money - it can be done.

We have less resources but also far less pressure. If Charlton don't look like getting promoted Pardew will be out by Xmas.

We will have to be shrewd in the transfer market but no matter how much you spend on players, it's still 11 vs 11 on the pitch, and this is football. Underdogs can and do win.

Teams like Watford, Barnsley, Wigan, Reading and Swindon have all made it into the Premiership without spending crazy money - it can be done.

didnt WBA spend a lot of money the yr before and they are still in ccc

money isnt everything

Wrong... Charlton weren't good enough to stay in the premier league, but by the same token, we proved too good for League 1.

As a result, both teams are Championship..and we start on equal points

Difference between teams? Wages admitedly, but unlike Charlton, we're used to winning, and we want to be in this division........for now!!

We spent too long trying to get here. Come on, don't write us off before we've had chance to sing along to Amarillo :city:

Wrong... Charlton weren't good enough to stay in the premier league, but by the same token, we proved too good for League 1.

As a result, both teams are Championship..and we start on equal points

Difference between teams? Wages admitedly, but unlike Charlton, we're used to winning, and we want to be in this division........for now!!

We spent too long trying to get here. Come on, don't write us off before we've had chance to sing along to Amarillo :city:

You should be the replacement for Amarillo. Nice one!

Not being funny but its more the gulf between the Championship and the Premiership rather than Championship newcomers from below and Championship newcomers from above.

Charlton been an established premiership team for past 5 years, theyre bound to have more money, better infrastructure etc

Bank accounts and infrastructures aren't in the starting line ups come 3 'o clock. It's eleven players against eleven players!! And, as previously stated, unlike our 11, Charltons players are not used to winning!!

Come on, give us a chance :disapointed2se: