IGNORED

Dele Adebola Effect

Riaz

Didnt go today, but this post is looking at the bigger picture. City have played 59 games now in this division and have done well. About half of those games Dele Adebola has played.

If we rewind to last season, we played the first 29 games without a target man or much phyiscal presence up front. But we were still right up there..... in fact we were joint top League Table after 29 games

At the time, there was alot of pressure on the manager to make a signing, so we could make a sustained "push" for the Premier League.... At first glance the signing of Dele Adebola, was uninspired to some - but it provided us with some much needed physical presence...... or so it seemed

But since then, we have turned into a long ball team. I've no problem with that if we were winning just as much. But our players (apart from dele) just arent suited to that style of play.

One positive point I should make, is that Dele Adebola is very hardworking and wins alot in the air. But having said that If players were picked on hardwork/commitment alone, I'd be city captain, Bas Savage would still be here, and city would be plummeting down to non league football!

don't get me wrong, Dele is good at what he does. he's a good target man at this level. I just don't think he suits our side and our side does not suit long ball. I think Dele would be very sucessful in a Neil Warnock side, for example.

But does the stats back-up my opinion?? that we have not been the same since we signed our big target man?

Our record before we signed Dele in the championship

Pld 29 Won 14 Dr 9 Lost 6 Points 51 Points per game: 1.76

Since Dele has signed and played in every game:

Pld 30 Won 11 Dr 9 Lost 10 Points 40 points per game 1.33

We've gone from a promotion pushing side, to an average side, since we signed the AND changed our style of play.

I will still support Dele Adebola whilst he's wearing the red shirt, but I don't think we will get promotion with him in our side.

That's it then, get rid of Dele and watch us roar up the table, I'll just give GJ a call..........

thats not what RIAZ is saying so what is the point of posting, its not helping anyone posting sarcastic remarks.

I do understand where RIAZ is coming from though, I think playing with Dele up top makes us very 2D and boring. We played such amazing football at points last season and most of the time we played with someone supporting a lone striker. I think we should go back to this by having either Trundle or Noble behind either Maynard or Brooker. Thats how we play the best football, the sooner we get back to that, the sooner we get back on the winning end of matches...

I do understand where RIAZ is coming from though, I think playing with Dele up top makes us very 2D and boring. We played such amazing football at points last season and most of the time we played with someone supporting a lone striker. I think we should go back to this by having either Trundle or Noble behind either Maynard or Brooker. Thats how we play the best football, the sooner we get back to that, the sooner we get back on the winning end of matches...

Brooker? What are we going to do, ask to play a game every couple of months, then?

You also cannot seriously believe Maynard who is small and not the most robust, would be able to play the lone striker role at this level.

I believe Adebola is still worth a place but can understand the argument for saying we should play 2 other strikers, but an injury plagued one or a small youngster on their own up top? No way.

I generally agree that with Dele's presence we have become a rather predictable long ball side. However, there's no reason why we still l can't play a decent passing game with people putting over crosses from the wings rather than down the middle.

In short, Adebola isn't the problem it's the system.

I can't help but think that GJ might have been impressed by the Stoke system that got them up.

:dunno:

Brooker? What are we going to do, ask to play a game every couple of months, then?

You also cannot seriously believe Maynard who is small and not the most robust, would be able to play the lone striker role at this level.

I believe Adebola is still worth a place but can understand the argument for saying we should play 2 other strikers, but an injury plagued one or a small youngster on their own up top? No way.

I know Brooker is injury prone but when he is fit he's our best striker by far.

I think Maynard could play well with a midfield of

Sproule...Elliott...Noble...McIndoe

....Trundle......

...Maynard.....

With those players around him I think he'll turn into the player we all want him to be

thats not what RIAZ is saying so what is the point of posting, its not helping anyone posting sarcastic remarks.

I'm not being sarcastic. Its being suggested that we play wooooosh-ball because Dele's in the side. I believe Dele is in the side on merit but we woosh it because there's not enough quality in the side, and its set up at the moment, not to play through the midfield. We need to get the talent back on the pitch(DN, LT etc) and maybe revert to a lone striker. Brooker cant play more than twice in a row and I don't think Nicky Maynard at the moment looks strong enough to play the loan striker role. Dele, however is strong/experienced enough and there is more to his game than being 'a big bloke up front'.

I'm not being sarcastic. Its being suggested that we play wooooosh-ball because Dele's in the side. I believe Dele is in the side on merit but we woosh it because there's not enough quality in the side, and its set up at the moment, not to play through the midfield. We need to get the talent back on the pitch(DN, LT etc) and maybe revert to a lone striker. Brooker cant play more than twice in a row and I don't think Nicky Maynard at the moment looks strong enough to play the loan striker role. Dele, however is strong/experienced enough and there is more to his game than being 'a big bloke up front'.

how can this be? we got the same personnell at the back and in midfield. Where has this quality gone?

how can this be? we got the same personnell at the back and in midfield. Where has this quality gone?

Well, DN and LT have gone to the bench, Marv's just returning, and NC(like him or not, he could run at teams with the ball at his feet) has gone to Colin. I should also like to add that I'm one of the people that thinks we should've added more quality to the team in the summer.

I'm not saying GJ job is easy but to me it's simple when Nobes and Trundle play we retain the ball in the opposition half and get the ball out to the wingers. Something we have only done once this season and when was this when Noble and Trunds were on 2nd half V's Plymouth.

Midfield should be

Sproule Noble Elliott McIndoe

With Trundle just behind Maynard I have been saying since Dele arrived we have chnaged our game and our football was at it's best mid to end of 2007, and only been the same once or twice since ie Crystal Palace home and away plays and even though we lost last year at Sheff Utd away!

Didnt go today, but this post is looking at the bigger picture. City have played 59 games now in this division and have done well. About half of those games Dele Adebola has played.

If we rewind to last season, we played the first 29 games without a target man or much phyiscal presence up front. But we were still right up there..... in fact we were joint top League Table after 29 games

At the time, there was alot of pressure on the manager to make a signing, so we could make a sustained "push" for the Premier League.... At first glance the signing of Dele Adebola, was uninspired to some - but it provided us with some much needed physical presence...... or so it seemed

But since then, we have turned into a long ball team. I've no problem with that if we were winning just as much. But our players (apart from dele) just arent suited to that style of play.

One positive point I should make, is that Dele Adebola is very hardworking and wins alot in the air. But having said that If players were picked on hardwork/commitment alone, I'd be city captain, Bas Savage would still be here, and city would be plummeting down to non league football!

don't get me wrong, Dele is good at what he does. he's a good target man at this level. I just don't think he suits our side and our side does not suit long ball. I think Dele would be very sucessful in a Neil Warnock side, for example.

But does the stats back-up my opinion?? that we have not been the same since we signed our big target man?

We've gone from a promotion pushing side, to an average side, since we signed the AND changed our style of play.

I will still support Dele Adebola whilst he's wearing the red shirt, but I don't think we will get promotion with him in our side.

i couldn't agree more with you mate. whenever he's in the team we just lump the ball to him and he very rarely wins the ball in the air and flicks it anywere near anyone in a red shirt. he runs around but just doesn't have the quality too be in a team who want too challenge for promotion. i'd much sooner see maynard/akinde/trundle or brooker playing ahead of him. most of our best performances have come when he's not in the side. having him in he team is just an excuse too lump the ball forwards and not pass it on the floor which is terrible too watch :fastasleep:

With Adebola the side are forever trying to hit the ball to him.One dimensional and predictable.As much as i appreciate his work rate I find him too slow, clumsy and doesnt win as many headers as I'd like.

If the midfield played the ball on the ground to feet

He wouldnt HAVE to win as many headers!!!

Saying that

If we played the ball to feet

it would be worth having Trundle in the side

Well, DN and LT have gone to the bench, Marv's just returning, and NC(like him or not, he could run at teams with the ball at his feet) has gone to Colin. I should also like to add that I'm one of the people that thinks we should've added more quality to the team in the summer.

I'm a fan of Carle but he only arrived in january too, our team for the first half of last season is the same plus Dele. We've got to go back to the attractive style of football we used to play, when Sproule, Johnson, Elliott, McIndoe, Noble and Trundle were our attacking 6, they're all still here so they should be playing

i agree to, we should go back to 4-5-1, i like dele, but this season its been wooosh football! LT & DN should be in from the start imo! look back at last season @ sheff utd & palace we, IMO, out passed them esp sheff utd, then look at the first half tuesday, we were sh!te, woooosh to dele and it just came back! LT comes on we play our game and got to goals!

i agree to, we should go back to 4-5-1, i like dele, but this season its been wooosh football! LT & DN should be in from the start imo! look back at last season @ sheff utd & palace we, IMO, out passed them esp sheff utd, then look at the first half tuesday, we were sh!te, woooosh to dele and it just came back! LT comes on we play our game and got to goals!

Sheffield United at home last season was a perfect example of having Noble in the team, he looked quality in his role of the 4-5-1

Hmmm I have often wondered what is best. There is no doubt about it I believe we have resorted to the long ball in recent. Don't get me wrong I think Dele is a good intelligent physical footballer and his work rate over 90mins is unbelievable. The trouble is when pushing out of our own box up to the half way line it is always inevitable some player hoofs it on up, when there are more options that can be created. This season I have noticed Orr is one of the main culprits and boom boom does this when in the squad. With the presence of Dele our style of play has changed and we don't make use of the wings like we used to, hence the reason Maynard has not been the poacher we bought him for. Midfield is where a game is won or lost and the Plymouth game proves how much we need Trundle in the squad. I would personally play 4 5 1. Trundle will sit in front the midfield of Johnson and Elliot with akinde or Maynard in front. Trundle is the key to our midfield woes we just have to play him as an attacking midfielder. Having Trundle in front on attack will help because we wont just hoof ball and encourage intelligent play spreading in and out of the wings. Sorry Dele.

So:

Basso

McAllister, Carey, Fontaine, Orr.

McIndoe, Elliot, Johnson, Sproule

Trundle

Maynard or Akinde

I posted something similar after the Brum game and i seemed to get slatted for it, Dele is a good pllayer but unfortunatly if you play a target man you get target man football, which in a word is hoof ball.

but why arent they playing it to feet? they did for fun before dele came. And successfully at that.

At the start of last season i think most fans

thought it would be real tough and so got

right behind the team even when things went wrong

When the fans are like that its easier for players to "play"

After finishing 4th some fans seem to think we will/should walk it this season

but because we are not they seem to be picking up on every little mistake

Get behind the team like we did last season and we just might see

a bit better football

At the start of last season i think most fans

thought it would be real tough and so got

right behind the team even when things went wrong

When the fans are like that its easier for players to "play"

After finishing 4th some fans seem to think we will/should walk it this season

but because we are not they seem to be picking up on every little mistake

Get behind the team like we did last season and we just might see

a bit better football

:clapping:

If we play with a big target man, then we will aim for the target, and hoof it to him.

~Dele cannot hold on to the ball, can't win it in the air and can't lay it off.. :huh: :huh:

If we play without a target man, we will HAVE to play it up through the midfield and create more.

Maynard/Trundle/akinda or some combination of 2 off them seems to me to be more constructive and more our style of play.

I really do not understand GJ fixation with a big target man up front, unless he thinks the players do not have the skills and talent to play anything else.

I think we do, and we proved it last season.

Adebola is fast turning into another Enoch IMHO. Despite being built like a shit brick house he doesn't win enough headers and when he does win them they go to nobody.

Archived