IGNORED

Jim Smith

JudgeRed

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Is this some kind of joke??

Jim Smith ENDED BT's playing career at Newcastle United.

Jack Charlton was BT's first manager and BT then went on to play 30+ top-flight games under new manager Willie McFaul in the 1987/88 season. But then Jim Smith came in as manager in and DROPPED BT and SOLD BT. Surely Smith would be Tins' last choice to help him out?!

Tins was chosen for the England U21 side with Gazza before pulling out of the squad injured,and he was actually a very talked about player in the season that the Magpies finished seventh - a lot of people admired his work and I certainly remember him at the time. But then Tins' career was wrecked by Smith because he was ignored for a whole season after coming back from injury and everybody kind of forgot about Tinnion.

Jack Charlton was BT's first manager and BT then went on to play 30+ top-flight games under new manager Willie McFaul in the 1987/88 season. But then Jim Smith came in as manager in and DROPPED BT and SOLD BT. Surely Smith would be Tins' last choice to help him out?!

Tins was chosen for the England U21 side with Gazza before pulling out of the squad injured,and he was actually a very talked about player in the season that the Magpies finished seventh - a lot of people admired his work and I certainly remember him at the time. But then Tins' career was wrecked by Smith because he was ignored for a whole season after coming back from injury and everybody kind of forgot about Tinnion.

I thought they got on rather well?? Hence Portsmouths involvement in his testimonial?? Or was that just some sort of Tedious and Tenuous link to keep us quiet about missing out on Newcastle.

Either way would be a smart appointment - not sure if we could afford it though.

Do you really believe that Tins' career was wrecked in his early twenties by JS's decision to drop him (assuming that you have got this fact correct)? I'd suggest that the fact that Tins has played most of his subsequent career (15 years!!!) in the third division (or equivalent) is clear evidence that JS got it spot on. If Tins had the ability, then he'd he'd have made it elsewhere. He certainly had time on his side.

JS would be an excellent choice as 'mentor' or 'experienced coach' etc etc, but as pointed out elsewhere, the chances of us attracting him to AG are slim at best.

I don't think city can afford both Jim Smith & Marcus Stewart, although they're thinking of off-loading Heff, Goodfellow, Dinning & Doherty, which (with the possible exception of Goodfellow) are all very high earners within the club, Dinning especially. But would Tinman (I'm speaking very hypethetically here as I'm under no illusion that there is much of a chance of bringing Smith to AG) appoint him as just a coach or as an assistant manager.

You never know they might actually be really really trying to get us promoted this year.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg
Do you really believe that Tins' career was wrecked in his early twenties by JS's decision to drop him (assuming that you have got this fact correct)?  I'd suggest that the fact that Tins has played most of his subsequent career (15 years!!!) in the third division (or equivalent) is clear evidence that JS got it spot on.  If Tins had the ability, then he'd he'd have made it elsewhere.  He certainly had time on his side.

JS would be an excellent choice as 'mentor' or 'experienced coach' etc etc, but as pointed out elsewhere, the chances of us attracting him to AG are slim at best.

Well he went to Bradford as a left-back in March 89 for 150k when they were on the verge of making the play-offs for the top-flight(chose them over Leeds and Middlesbrough),switched to midfield and scored 13 goals by Christmas in his first season as a midfielder but then spent eight months out injured and never was the same(apart from flashes for us in 93/94 and 00/01),Leeds tried signing Tins for 375k in the summer of 1990,he made the PFA second tier side in 89/90. In his next season as a midfielder,not until 00/01(!),his flair came out again. I think he was wasted on the left-wing for us in the 1990's,but I praise him for turning down Premiership Everton to stay with us in 1998(I bet you didn't know that eh).

I think Tinnion is a player whose career suffered setbacks with injuries,he suffered injury yet again in our relegation season and lost form until our promotion season. But since switching to midfield under DW,he's been the best player in this division by far.

• SC&T Board Members

Just listened to Tinman's end of season review (hadn't heard it on Radio Bristol 'cos of the clash with the Cup Final) ... note that Tins said he had a couple of targets as possible 'mentors', but that they were then in jobs, but he hoped they 'might not be for much longer'. With this interview having been given during the final week of the Premiership season, with Southampton's fate in the balance, could this indeed have been a reference to the bald eagle??

Smith is 65. He'll have made plenty of money over the years, so that won't be his prime concern. Having worked latterly at Portsmouth and Southampton, he presumably lives somewhere in the south west, and although he has said he wants to stay in football, at his age he may not want to be a manager again. His credentials make him ideally suited as Tinman's mentor, as he has huge experience at various levels and in Tinman's eyes would not pose a threat to him in terms of being after the manager's chair.

I guess a lot depends on how he and Tinman get on ... but then Jim Smith did write a piece for Tinman's testimonial brochure, didn't he???

We could do a lot worse!

Just listened to Tinman's end of season review (hadn't heard it on Radio Bristol 'cos of the clash with the Cup Final) ... note that Tins said he had a couple of targets as possible 'mentors', but that they were then in jobs, but he hoped they 'might not be for much longer'.  With this interview having been given during the final week of the Premiership season, with Southampton's fate in the balance, could this indeed have been a reference to the bald eagle??

Smith is 65.  He'll have made plenty of money over the years, so that won't be his prime concern.  Having worked latterly at Portsmouth and Southampton, he presumably lives somewhere in the south west, and although he has said he wants to stay in football, at his age he may not want to be a manager again.  His credentials make him ideally suited as Tinman's mentor, as he has huge experience at various levels and in Tinman's eyes would not pose a threat to him in terms of being after the manager's chair.

I guess a lot depends on how he and Tinman get on ... but then Jim Smith did write a piece for Tinman's testimonial brochure, didn't he???

We could do a lot worse!

I'm glad somone can see what i was thinking when i started this thread. whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

I don't think city can afford both Jim Smith & Marcus Stewart, although they're thinking of off-loading Heff, Goodfellow, Dinning & Doherty, which (with the possible exception of Goodfellow) are all very high earners within the club, Dinning especially. But would Tinman (I'm speaking very hypethetically here as I'm under no illusion that there is much of a chance of bringing Smith to AG) appoint him as just a coach or as an assistant manager.

You never know they might actually be really really trying to get us promoted this year.

To be honest I reckon that we have to go for broke this season, obviously without putting ourself in a financial crisis.

But we have to throw money at the club to get us up. The longer we stay here (and we've been here a long time now) the worse the situation gets.

I don't think now is the time for the good old Lansdown financial prudence (which was useful a few years ago) - now is the time to go for it. If that involves spending money on experienced hands such as Stewart and Jim Smith then so be it.

Lets go for it this season city.gif

Archived