IGNORED

I Sincerely Hope That This Doesn't Happen

greenun

Former City boss would jump at chance of Gate return

WARD'S THE HOT FAVOURITE

JOHN Ward today emerged as firm favourite to land the Bristol City manager's job as the club began the task of wading through dozens of applications.

read the back page of today's EP for the remainder of Simon P's story.

I think this would be a huge mistake, as John Ward's managerial success is firmly rooted in the past and he's not the man to take our club forward. An assisant to his mentor Graham Taylor, yes, but this is a man who drowned in his own incapabilty to inspire a grade 2 City team in 1998-99 and his only managerial role since is at Whaddon Road, with a club suited to his talents.

What do you think?

Totally agree.

Been there & done that ! banghead.gif

We have to move forward.

The problem here is that John Ward is very 'press' friendly & I am sure Richard Latham will also jump on the band wagon.

John Ward is a decent lower league manager & we want to move forward.

I think it would be a mistake to bring back ANY old manager.

And would cause an ongoing divide between fans.

If a fresh/experienced manager came in, then as a fan base it would mean that there would be no history to drag up.

I think the board could make a worse decision and I would rather have him then somebody we don't know

Surely it is better to have someone with fresh ideas & someone who dosn't have history from a club that is in desperate need to be shaken up.

Ward will be a comfy appt & reappointing someone who admitted that they didn't know what to do when they got into the old 1st Div.

If you disregard the fact that he has previously been here before, he doesn't look too bad? He was assistant at wolves after leaving us, must have learnt something there? But the fact that he hasn't exactly set the world alight at cheltenham isn't so positive, maybe thats more down to cheltenham's resources not him, no disrespect to them.

I always liked him as he had the balence of being good with the press and the fans etc as well as showing passion for the game. A good honest manager. No manager is going to be' perfect' or he wouldn't be managing at this level.

I suppose the board must wait untill all the applications are in, there maybe a few surprises about who applies?

I always liked him as he had the balence of being good with the press and the fans etc as well as showing passion for the game. A good honest manager. No manager is going to be' perfect' or he wouldn't be managing at this level.

This is the key point.

He isn't managing at this level. And when he has he has failed to reach the level we need a manager to get us to.

Definately not a manager to take us into the Championship ( and remain there )

Former City boss would jump at chance of Gate return

WARD'S THE HOT FAVOURITE

JOHN Ward today emerged as firm favourite to land the Bristol City manager's job as the club began the task of wading through dozens of applications.

read the back page of today's EP for the remainder of Simon P's story.

I think this would be a huge mistake, as John Ward's managerial success is firmly rooted in the past and he's not the man to take our club forward. An assisant to his mentor Graham Taylor, yes, but this is a man who drowned in his own incapabilty to inspire a grade 2 City team in 1998-99 and his only managerial role since is at Whaddon Road, with a club suited to his talents.

What do you think?

I totally agree with your views on this, and I wouldn't want anyone with previous associations with BCFC as our next manager. We need to move on and get someone who can bring fresh impetus to the club. This season still has a long way to go and we have all to play for.

I think the board could make a worse decision and I would rather have him then somebody we don't know

I was a Ward fan but wouldn't want him to come back. One of the things the new manager has to do very early on is unite the club. If that was just a squad of players then I think he'd be up to it, but too many fans (and maybe board members) argue over what went on back in October '98.

The arguing and negativity would start up all over again and he would not be given much time by a large contingent before the knives were out.

i'd rather have John Ward being our manager then a load of the other managers on the shortlist. Wards higher then McCall, Lawrenson, Gregory, Williamson, Aldridge and Francis. If Ward does become manager of City, I would be very happy.

If both Martin Allen, Stan Ternant and Graham Taylor don't want the job then Ward would be top of my list.

chant6ez.gif

Lets face it whoever gets the Job is not going to be everyones choice. But we have to give the new man 100% backing be it Ward, Taylor, Ternant, or anyone else.

Agree, but I think the new guy would get more respect if he had NO past (or present) connections with the club.

Gary Johnson for example - who would have any cause to moan about this.

John Ward has history.

John Ward today emerged as firm favourite to land the Bristol City manager's job as the club began the task of wading through dozens of applications. I understand the current Cheltenham Town supremo would jump at the chance of being offered the position, one he held with distinction between March 1997 and October 1998, when he was unceremoniously ousted after a poor start to the 1998-99 season.

Ward, who managed Bristol Rovers between 1993 and 1996, taking them to the Division Two (now League One) play-off final in 1995, resurrected his career by taking a coaching role at Wolves in December 2000.

And in his eight games in charge of League Two outfit Cheltenham this term, he has suffered just one defeat despite working on a shoestring budget and playing in front of crowds barely topping 3,000.

Despite his untimely Ashton Gate exit under the previous Scott Davidson-led regime, Ward has maintained a strong affinity with Bristol City.

He is under contract at Whaddon Road until the end of the 2006-07 season. But should City chairman Steve Lansdown and his colleagues decide Ward is their man, fans could be welcoming him back within the next few weeks.

It is believed that Ward, who hoisted City into the play-offs after replacing Joe Jordan in March 1997, feels he has unfinished business. His sacking came just six months after overseeing the Robins' promotion and, should he return, there is every prospect he would team up again with Terry Connor - his former No 2 at City.

Connor was approached by former Gate boss Brian Tinnion in the summer with a view to making him head coach, an offer the current Molineux man declined.

Ward told the Cheltenham Echo that a possible return to City was purely "hypothetical", adding: "I don't want to talk about it".

Cheltenham chairman Paul Baker, however, made it clear that Ward would come at a price were he to up sticks in favour of a dramatic return to Bristol.

Baker insisted: "The situation with John is that he is under contract with us for another season and a half.

"I'm sure he has every intention of honouring his contract.

"The purpose of the contract was to give us some security and to give him some security.

"In the event of him leaving before it runs out, we would be able to get some compensation.

"Since he has 18 months of it to go, he would be a reasonably expensive acquisition.

"We've not been approached by anybody yet, but it is early days.

"He's been there before and did a good job. He could terminate his contract, but we would be entitled to a reasonable level of compensation.

"Keith Downing, his assistant, has a similar contract which ends at the same time as John's.

"They came as a pair and I anticipate them both being here until the end of their contracts."

City chief executive Colin Sexstone said response to the advertised vacancy was growing.

"Monday was quiet but yesterday was much busier in terms of phone calls and inquiries. We're beginning now to build CVs up," he said. "I've no doubt we'll get more over the next couple of days to weigh up too.

"There's little doubting it's a very hard position to fill in such a results-driven business."

Former Dundee United boss Ian McCall has also been linked with the post.

In the meantime, Keith Millen, Tinnion's No2, has been charged with trying to lift City as caretaker manager ahead of Saturday's home match with Blackpool.

More News | Back to home page

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy statement | Contact the Website | Work for us

I know Lindsay Parsons well & when he & clueless got the job they had a meeting with John Ward who said the job was too big for him & he was more comfortable as a number 2.

Has the job changed that much? don't think so & I'll be surprised if he even applied,

bloody hope not.

I thought he left cos he didn't want to be No 2 to Benny.

However I do remember us playing good football under him and being gutted when the board cocked the whole scenario.

However generally I am in the 'Never go back' camp.

I thought he left cos he didn't want to be No 2 to Benny.

However I do remember us playing good football under him and being gutted when the board cocked the whole scenario.

However generally I am in the 'Never go back' camp.

When a manager says 'I don't know what to do to turn this around' after our defeat at Ipswich, what options did the board have?

Ward is a decent man, did ok for us before, but this is not a step forward. From what I've been hearing we need someone who will provide real discipline and organisation.

Get Gary Johnson. Ask him and he would come.

It is better to take a bit of time to get the right man. We are a shambles at the moment, and I would be happy to keep out of relegation trouble, never mind get in the play offs.

Nothing against Ward. He took us up, which is more than any other bugger has managed in my time watching City, played good football and allowed us all to dream for a while. Then ran out of ideas, and doesn't seem to have come up with any new ones since.

We've gone down the 'appointing from within, boot room' route, and sadly it hasn't worked. The last thing we need now is more ex players or managers who still have connections, cadres and cliques within the club and amongst fans.

Root and branch reform is required now I think (something to be fair that Tins was trying to achieve), and that can only be done by bringing in an experienced manager with a clear, thought-out strategy for getting us out of this division within the constarints of the rather cold financial wind that is currently blowing through Ashton Gate. Not Cooper, Osman, Jordan, Ward, Benny, Rosenior, Fawthrop, Tinman or any of the other long list of recent incumbents.

What we need is some of the thinking that brought Pulis to the club, but with a more likeable man who knows how to play attractive football, obviously.

Guest citycityman

simple, lets give ward the job... Will guide us to saftey, may even get us up.. least were garanteed to be winning matches with him, what the hell are you all maoning about...was fired like 5 games into div 1 campain so wasnt given a fair crack.,,.

Totally agree.

Been there & done that ! banghead.gif

We have to move forward.

The problem here is that John Ward is very 'press' friendly & I am sure Richard Latham will also jump on the band wagon.

John Ward is a decent lower league manager & we want to move forward.

I think it would be a mistake to bring back ANY old manager.

And would cause an ongoing divide between fans.

If a fresh/experienced manager came in, then as a fan base it would mean that there would be no history to drag up.

Spot on; Fresh thinking needed with new staff throughout - Millen & Fawthorp should be cleared out too.

Archived