IGNORED

The Desire To Win...

BB.

Just saw an interview on Sky Sports News with Sam Allardyse saying how the players are going to have to put their famlies to one side at Christmas as they have a lot of games and Bolton are the most important thing.

I know a lot of the Bolton players are foreigners and that they may not celebrate Christmas but for Big Sam to say that Bolton are the most important thing and that he won't enjoy Christmas if Bolton aren't winning is taking the desire to win too far.

Families should be put before football, surely.

The way that Fergisons reacted to his defeats is very childish too.

And I don't think I need to mention Wenger and Mourinio's relationship do I?

The way supporters get disregarded in an effort to get that above all important win is sadening too.

The amount of cheating that goes on; diving, bribing, manipulation of the referees etc...

Anyone else think it is rediculous how much people want to win and that it takes away from the overall enjoyment of Football?

Also is football a sport or a buisiness first?

I say it's a sport first, or at least it should be.

Bring back sportsmanship!! :englandsmile4wf:

Anyone else think it is rediculous how much people want to win and that it takes away from the overall enjoyment of Football?

Not really- from a personal point of view, if City lose on boxing day, after travelling all the way to Gillingham i will be depressed. I don't know how long for, but in all seriousness, if City lost all 4 over Xmas my mood would be very bad- conversly, if City win i will be happy. You play to win- surely when you watch City you want us to win more than anything else?

I would rather watch us win 1-0 with an own goal in the 1st minute and nothing else happen for the rest of the game than watch a good game of football. The most important thing is to win- no doubt.

Not really- from a personal point of view, if City lose on boxing day, after travelling all the way to Gillingham i will be depressed. I don't know how long for, but in all seriousness, if City lost all 4 over Xmas my mood would be very bad- conversly, if City win i will be happy. You play to win- surely when you watch City you want us to win more than anything else?

I would rather watch us win 1-0 with an own goal in the 1st minute and nothing else happen for the rest of the game than watch a good game of football. The most important thing is to win- no doubt.

Sorry mate, I don't agree. Having a good day out is the most important thing.

Back in the days of the 1980's freefall the away games were a riot (not literally of course), we had a fantastic time regardless of the result..... which in most cases was a defeat.

Enjoy the game, but don't let it spoil your weekend, that's always been my philosophy.

As much as i love football and Bristol City, i will still go out, enjoy myself, see friends, be happy because it will be good again one day and as has been said, family is much more important.

Exactly! The way some managers and players behave you would have thought it was a matter of life and death. Although Moriniho, like anyone, has his faults, he does seem to know that worse things happen in this world than loosing to another football team.

Man United seem to be the worst losers to be honest, they just can't seem to take it at all.

Wasn't there a programme a few years back about Sam Aladyse giving himself heart problems due to getting too worked up at football matches?

Joe Kinnear was another one who had heart problems. And Houllier!

They all need to calm down a bit I reckon, before they miss out on a lot more than 3 points!

I understand what you mean, its more harsh for lower league players who earn an average wage, but consider that its not just footballers who have to work over Christmas, lots and lots of people do who only scrape the min wage, what about them? and what about the homeless people too?

and what about the starving 'soon to be dead' kids in parts of Africa? Do you think they are feeling sorry for the poor lilttle ahhh didums footballers who have to play all those nasty games against all those nasty players in the cold..BRRRR!!! and then take home their 100k a week. suuuuure they do.

Do i feel sorry for them, do i **** :yawn:

we had a fantastic time

This is what I'm striving for for my generation but this aspiration to be 'cool' image sold to us doesn't allow for fun it would seem. :(

I envy you.

No drinking.

No singing.

No making a t1t of yourself (cos its funny)

Stand up for a minute and promptly prompted to sit down by the nearest bar steward.

No terracing

No East End

NO FUN

Guest revkev

This is what I'm striving for for my generation but this aspiration to be 'cool' image sold to us doesn't allow for fun it would seem. :(

I envy you.

No drinking.

No singing.

No making a t1t of yourself (cos its funny)

Stand up for a minute and promptly prompted to sit down by the nearest bar steward.

No terracing

No East End

NO FUN

We were crap but we had a great time. Even when the quality of football was so toe curling bad there was always a pie fight at half time, an impromptue football game at the service station, a couple of beers before the game..... and terracing. THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

They will only return if City are drawn away to a Conference club (or below) in the Cup next season, or (God forbid) City go into freefall down the leagues. Football has lost its soul :(

We were crap but we had a great time. Even when the quality of football was so toe curling bad there was always a pie fight at half time, an impromptue football game at the service station, a couple of beers before the game..... and terracing. THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

They will only return if City are drawn away to a Conference club (or below) in the Cup next season, or (God forbid) City go into freefall down the leagues. Football has lost its soul :(

Well thankyou for that almost satisfyingly depressing thought report Reverend. Has your faith in the Brotherhood of very silly Nonsey Mc-nonsnonse just been drained then?

Guest revkev

Well thankyou for that almost satisfyingly depressing thought report Reverend. Has your faith in the Brotherhood of very silly Nonsey Mc-nonsnonse just been drained then?

Football supporting is a soulless business these days. We're no longer "fans", we are "consumers", and we pick and choose our clubs and their merchandise products just as we pick our fruit and veg in Sainsburys or ASDA.

Little kids are force fed Chelsea and Manchester Utd as being the teams to support and these clubs get richer and richer while the lower league clubs haven't much of a chance to compete because they do not present the same glamorous image.

A consequence of this is that Sky have to work harder than ever to make their broadcasts more exciting and appealing, which is why Kamara and Andy Gray become almost orgasmic about the most trivial incidents, the Sky Sports bloke almost suffers a stroke with excitement whilst reading the final scores on the teleprinter (assuming of course that we are thick as #### and unable to read) and we are forced to watch matches from every conceivable camera angle, with "player cam" and the ref's arse view included by just pressing the red button.

Maybe I am a bit old and bitter, maybe I'm of the age when Brian Moore and Kenneth Wolstenholme ruled the soccer airwaves, but in those days football was fun, something which made you feel you were a part of a sporting and community spectacle (and City played with good young local talent in their team with a passion for their club).

I loathe what has become of football in recent years, but having said all that I will always be 100% Bristol City :city::city:

Archived