IGNORED

Avb In At Spurs... Oh Dear, Levy Has Another Wobble Moment

havanatopia

If he's given time I could see him doing well there, could see Spurs trying to sign Joao Moutinho now to add to the centre of their midfield with the portugese link. If they fail to get champions league football within 2 years however with Arsenal and Chelsea buying a fair bit this summer and potentially Modric and VDV leaving I think AVB could be looking at the door.

i think AVB is a cracking manager and now he has something to prove in English football. his record at Porto was outstanding, he failed at Chelsea because he didn't get the older members of the squad on side. If he has learnt from this mistake im sure he will be a success at Spurs. He definitely has much more to offer tactically than Redknapp. good luck to him

Same as any appt, could be fantastic could be a disaster! Got a soft spot for Spurs, so hope it works out. Wrong club, wrong time at Chelsea, could be just the right time for Spurs. Bad start to the season and he's got a hell of a job on his hands

What do we make of that appointment then?

What is the betting he will be out on his ear before the end of next season with more egg on Levy's face.

Be interesting to see the fans reaction to this one. Not sure it is going to be that positive.

Let us not forget that he was the most sought after manager in Europe this time last year and I think he was undone more by the egos in the Chelsea dressing room than his failings on the pitch. That's not to say there aren't egos in Spurs dressing room though...

Plenty of managers have shat out before they did well (Rodgers & Lambert spring to mind) but I just have a feeling that AVB is one of those who'll be good on the continent but never quite 'get it' over here

If he gets the players on side... and not some sort of temperamental backlash from the Spurs players because 'Arry was sacked, he could work wonders.

I am wondering if his distant persona from the players, may work against him in the Premier League. Some of these Premier League lovies like to be loved after all!

The guy has a good outlook on the game. If he gets the players hooked on his ethos, he could do good things.

Said it from the start, Great appointment! I really think he will do well there. He was the right manager for Chelsea, just at the wrong time. The circumstances are different at Tottenham, no old guard that hold such influence at the club unlike Chelsea.

Tottenham challenging this year, But still believe Chelsea will win the league

Here's the Harry Redknapp Twitter account explaining why he thinks AVB did bad at Chelsea:

'I fink reeson avb facked up at Chelsea is bcuz he put his kit on n played as Mata wiv Mata pretendin tu be managa. Trifik fackin laverly dat'

Gotta admit, Mata and AVB do look very alike!

Daniel Levy was wholly responsible for the signings of Adebayor, Van Der Vaart and Modric along with, of course, appointing Redknapp. He doesn't make many mistakes. It is a gamble but i'd say a calculated one. Financially the club is well run and doesn't make much of a loss so they dont have much to lose.

Let us not forget that he was the most sought after manager in Europe this time last year and I think he was undone more by the egos in the Chelsea dressing room than his failings on the pitch. That's not to say there aren't egos in Spurs dressing room though...

Plenty of managers have shat out before they did well (Rodgers & Lambert spring to mind) but I just have a feeling that AVB is one of those who'll be good on the continent but never quite 'get it' over here

Good points and agree on the last sentence. All seemed to be going so well for Spurs with Harry and despite them falling away at the end it still looks like one helluva gamble from an outsider viewpoint. Look where Spurs were when Harry took over and look where he took them. Look at that context and now they have a kid in charge who cracked it on his home patch but England is indeed a totally different kettle.

Spurs have a long history of making totally the wrong appointments; for once they were, without doubt, going places with Harry. Levy inexplicably bailed out what we can only suspect was an uneasy or tense relationship and we will find out if it was the correct roll of the dice but to an extent of course we will never know.

Good points and agree on the last sentence. All seemed to be going so well for Spurs with Harry and despite them falling away at the end it still looks like one helluva gamble from an outsider viewpoint. Look where Spurs were when Harry took over and look where he took them. Look at that context and now they have a kid in charge who cracked it on his home patch but England is indeed a totally different kettle.

Spurs have a long history of making totally the wrong appointments; for once they were, without doubt, going places with Harry. Levy inexplicably bailed out what we can only suspect was an uneasy or tense relationship and we will find out if it was the correct roll of the dice but to an extent of course we will never know.

You stay with Harry too long and he bankrupts you, then flits off on the next stint of the Harry Redknapp PR bandwagon. Thank god he is not in charge of England right now.

Edited by TRL

You stay with Harry too long and he bankrupts you, then flits off on the next stint of the Harry Redknapp PR bandwagon. Thank god he is not in charge of England right now.

Bang on, also remember if England came calling then Spurs would've been left without a manager, 'Arry made that very clear. He done a fantastic job at Spurs, but I think it's completely the right time to get a younger man in and really build. Rumours of oil money coming into the club too, maybe this is an appt they were after??

AVB is on a hiding to nothing reports are he has a 60m war chest to get fourth spot but I can't see it not with Man C, Man U and Chelsea going for the title then it's a batle with Arsenal and Liverpool for fourth going to be a tricky season for him. This time next year I can see him looking for another job any signs of him wobbling and the Spurs fans will be on his back.

AVB is on a hiding to nothing reports are he has a 60m war chest to get fourth spot but I can't see it not with Man C, Man U and Chelsea going for the title then it's a batle with Arsenal and Liverpool for fourth going to be a tricky season for him. This time next year I can see him looking for another job any signs of him wobbling and the Spurs fans will be on his back.

Liverpool going for fourth?.

Bang on, also remember if England came calling then Spurs would've been left without a manager, 'Arry made that very clear. He done a fantastic job at Spurs, but I think it's completely the right time to get a younger man in and really build. Rumours of oil money coming into the club too, maybe this is an appt they were after??

Yep, he would have gone, i wonder if levy missed a trick, it appears redknapp was never in the running, but I wonder if that was because of the compo levey was holding out for?! he could off loaded the bloke if it was a money issue without having to pay him out after his sacking.

I can't see them having as bad a year as last seaon they will be there or thereabouts.

Can't see them doing much, seems like they are after even more midfielders! how many do they want?! They don't have the money any longer to really challenge top 4.

If I were liverpool, i would be looking at getting Ba from newcastle, they look woefully short of a good goalscorer.

I rate AVB, think he has a lot to prove in the English game. An ambitious move by Spurs IMO.

He certainly has a lot to prove and hope, for his sake, he does well. I do not rate him personally as high as Harry.. how on earth could you if only its based on the future which of course is somewhat stating the bleedin' obvious. As for ambition by Spurs?.. agreed albeit somewhat blind to where they have come from which is the best 2-3 years in the clubs recent history.

He certainly has a lot to prove and hope, for his sake, he does well. I do not rate him personally as high as Harry.. how on earth could you if only its based on the future which of course is somewhat stating the bleedin' obvious. As for ambition by Spurs?.. agreed albeit somewhat blind to where they have come from which is the best 2-3 years in the clubs recent history.

Agree with you that the appointment of AVB is reliant on unlocking his future potential rather than an excellent track record. However, tactically AVB is excellent, (Better than Redknapp IMO), and was given a mandate at Chelsea to dramatically change the club only for the 'old guard' to step in and get him the sack. Obviously, Redknapp dramatically improved Spurs but judging by the way they fizzled out last season, partly due to his tactical naivety, I cant help thinking that he took them as far as he could have done, which I think is the reason Levy has made this appointment.

Agree with you that the appointment of AVB is reliant on unlocking his future potential rather than an excellent track record. However, tactically AVB is excellent, (Better than Redknapp IMO), and was given a mandate at Chelsea to dramatically change the club only for the 'old guard' to step in and get him the sack. Obviously, Redknapp dramatically improved Spurs but judging by the way they fizzled out last season, partly due to his tactical naivety, I cant help thinking that he took them as far as he could have done, which I think is the reason Levy has made this appointment.

Perhaps you know more about Harry than I do and know of his stats that points to his capabilities. However, i find it hard to believe that the so called Spurs failings, if one can even say it is failure, which I do not, is down to the naivety of a man who has had success pretty much everywhere he has gone.

The only man that is naive here is AVB and that is not all a bad thing; certainly at his age he can learn faster than an ageing man but of course he is also on a steeper learning curve in the first place so that is fairly obvious.

Edited by havanatopia

Perhaps you know more about Harry than I do and know of his stats that points to his capabilities. However, i find it hard to believe that the so called Spurs failings, if one can even say it is failure, which I do not, is down to the naivety of a man who has had success pretty much everywhere he has gone.

The only man that is naive here is AVB and that is not all a bad thing; certainly at his age he can learn faster than an ageing man but of course he is also on a steeper learning curve in the first place so that is fairly obvious.

What do you call 'success' though? One FA Cup in how many years, and you could argue that was tainted as he bankrupted Pompey in the process - well, not just him, but you get my point

Not knocking the bloke, have always liked him - but successful in winning trophies, no. Successful in making himself a lot of money, yes