IGNORED

Rovers; Take A Bow. Yes, Thats The Team From Nailsworth

havanatopia

Top of the Conference tonight, just two places below the other Rovers. Highest ever league position for them if I am not mistaken. This season, finally, they look a genuine threat. Not many realise they are the longest serving Conference team now.

How blissful for many would it be for the two to swap places this close season?

Spare a thought for a moment then; Nailsworth has a population of less than 7,000 people, if they were promoted into the Football League, and they are tipped to do well this season, the town would be by far the smallest place to host a league team. I believe that title is currently held by Aldershot with about 25,000 +/- ? Well done to the current owner who is backing their rise.

Now consider the other Rovers... I am sure it is not lost on the average Gas fan, as they contemplate the season ahead, how their relative plight and poor start compares with the steady and solid progress of Forest Green and their rise to the top of the table this evening.

The Chairman of BRFC seems to be pretty hapless with his managerial decisions.

4 goal in 23 minutes in a home game? Sound like they've been taking lessons from us... :shifty:

Good on them. My 'second team' (RE in-law's team) is York City, who are already showing this season how the difference between top-end conference and bottom end League Two is slight.

Would love to see how a Forest Green Rovers/Bristol Rovers would go right now...

Edited by samo II

Nailsworth will be a nightmare if they do go up, I work a mile or so away, night games would be a real pain in the backside for me getting home! Was in town the day they played the Blue Redbirds in a friendly, was blocked for ages after. I would worry about their 'Rockwell Army' (I think they're called that) getting the shit kicked out of them 23 times that season too - they like to think they are a tidy little firm, there's only about 6 of them, bless!

Good luck to them though, their owner is a bit of a plonker, but to be fair he's stuck by the manager when things looked like they were going wrong and they are turning it around massively

FGR have flirted with relegation for year after year so it's nice to see their fans finally getting something to celebrate.

My loyalties, such as they are*, in that region lie however with Gloucester City (yel-lows) but FGR fans are a decent bunch.

* I have just had to look up what division they are in, fourth from bottom of conference north, there were complicated reasons why they went into the north league and I'm surprised to see that they are still there.

FGR have flirted with relegation for year after year so it's nice to see their fans finally getting something to celebrate.

My loyalties, such as they are*, in that region lie however with Gloucester City (yel-lows) but FGR fans are a decent bunch.

* I have just had to look up what division they are in, fourth from bottom of conference north, there were complicated reasons why they went into the north league and I'm surprised to see that they are still there.

Same here Edward, big night last night for The Tigers in terms of returning home, need to read up to see how that went. Got a stuffing off Brackley Town at home last night as well. Gloucester vs Brackley - two bastions of 'northern' football!

Why is Dale Vince a plonker?

I don't agree with veganism particularly but I don't recall any rule stipulating that a football club has to provide burgers and pies. The rest of the stuff he does is tremendous and pretty important for the future.

Never met the fella, going on what people tell me who have, and who work for him

Agree that he's done some tremendous things, but there's plenty of people out there who have done good things but that doesn't make them nice people, or any less unplonkerish than other people

Same here Edward, big night last night for The Tigers in terms of returning home, need to read up to see how that went. Got a stuffing off Brackley Town at home last night as well. Gloucester vs Brackley - two bastions of 'northern' football!

As a Guiseley supporter I could have done with them beating Brackley! I think it's just to do with the large number of teams around London who are in the Southern division. Oxford are in the North now too!

Never met the fella, going on what people tell me who have, and who work for him

Agree that he's done some tremendous things, but there's plenty of people out there who have done good things but that doesn't make them nice people, or any less unplonkerish than other people

That's fair enough. I have heard one or two negative things about him via employees too. He may not be the world's nicest chap. Nevertheless, I am proud to have them supply my electricity & gas and I think he's generally doing things right. Please accept my apologies for assuming you based your opinion on what he stands for, not what he's like.

Slow going for Gloucester City ..... from the local paper:

PLANS to bring Gloucester Football Club back to the city have suffered a setback.

An outline planning planning application went before the city council on Tuesday night in a bid to get permission to continue with the development of former ground Meadow Park, which was destroyed by the 2007 floods.

However, the permission was not given by councillors who had concerns about flooding issues, and also access to the stadium.

Holes were found in the application, and also a lack of detail was pinpointed when it came to identifying particular aspects of flood defence work, and how houses up and down stream of the ground could be affected in a potential flood.

Despite this, there was some positive news in that a technical group will now be formed in an effort to progress plans to develop the site and bring The Tigers home. The group will be made up og representatives from the planning department, highways, the environment agency and the football club itself.

As a Guiseley supporter I could have done with them beating Brackley! I think it's just to do with the large number of teams around London who are in the Southern division. Oxford are in the North now too!

That's fair enough. I have heard one or two negative things about him via employees too. He may not be the world's nicest chap. Nevertheless, I am proud to have them supply my electricity & gas and I think he's generally doing things right. Please accept my apologies for assuming you based your opinion on what he stands for, not what he's like.

Pretty certain there's less miles involved for Gloucester being in the North division, bizarrely!

I love what Dale Vince is doing, I'd back the fella all the way. I love seeing the windmill in Nympsfield, I'd be all over seeing the beautiful Gloucestershire countryside with more of them. Someone has to do something, it's not going to last forever. I'd prefer an 'eyesore', as some people deem them, than going back to the dark ages, or paying multi billion pound companies an extra 20% year on year for my heating, g*s, electric whatever. Although I'm not sure I'll ever get used to seeing the old Stroud & Swindle building in Stroud with his green Ecotricity signs all over it. Just looks wrong!

Slow going for Gloucester City ..... from the local paper:

PLANS to bring Gloucester Football Club back to the city have suffered a setback.

An outline planning planning application went before the city council on Tuesday night in a bid to get permission to continue with the development of former ground Meadow Park, which was destroyed by the 2007 floods.

However, the permission was not given by councillors who had concerns about flooding issues, and also access to the stadium.

Holes were found in the application, and also a lack of detail was pinpointed when it came to identifying particular aspects of flood defence work, and how houses up and down stream of the ground could be affected in a potential flood.

Despite this, there was some positive news in that a technical group will now be formed in an effort to progress plans to develop the site and bring The Tigers home. The group will be made up og representatives from the planning department, highways, the environment agency and the football club itself.

Thanks Homer - just read that online

Sounds like slow going for GCFC, could be a long road back to Glos for them

• Admin

He's hardly super rich.

They finally have a budget to be competitive at that level but it's about far more than just throwing money at the team.

Being the owner and sole share owner of Ecotricity, he certainly is not short of a few quid.

To say they are finally copetitive is ironic as many of the teams at that level operate on smaller budgets.

A breath of fresh air.

A well run football club with good pitch and facilities going for promotion.

Nots sure about the "fresh air" they use manure on their pitch to make it an orgnaic pitch

Am sure there was a story about having a soler powered lawn mower ???

Why is Dale Vince a plonker?

I don't agree with veganism particularly but I don't recall any rule stipulating that a football club has to provide burgers and pies. The rest of the stuff he does is tremendous and pretty important for the future.

You obviously have a "soft spot for FGR", but surely it is a bit strange that he banned the players and the ground from having red meat !

Surely the only chairman in the country who dictates what the players can't eat and what food is sold at their ground ?

Would understand if a choice was offered . . ..

The Chairman has also done a Cardiff this season and imposed a kit change with no consultation with the supporters. So instead of the Black and White stripes worn for about 100 years, FGR now play in a home kit of 'Ecotricity Green'. This obviously hasn't proved hugely popular with supporters and might explain why last two home gates were only 760 and 940 despite the great start to the season.

Would be very funny if FGR swapped places with Bristol Rovers.

FGR are the nearest club to my house - about 8 miles away - I like to see them doing well.

Not too sure about Dale Vince tho' - he seems to have bought the club to showcase his Green projects and the club

are being used as a vehicle and publicity for his company.

If you read his mission statement:

FGR is an important part of the local community in Stroud (where we’re based) and a significant employer. It’s a football club with serious heritage too, being over 100 years old.

It needed saving, it was local to us, and we were able – those were the first three ingredients. The compelling final ingredient was the opportunity to use football as a ‘new channel’ for our message, for our work – which is about sustainability and bringing it to all walks of life. It’s about greening up Britain.

At FGR we have the opportunity to create a truly sustainable football club, which would be a world first. Somewhere we can demonstrate all of our thinking and technology, and through that engage with a new, large and passionate audience. A global audience ultimately. It’s the chance to introduce some Eco into the world of sport, and not just football – as we’ve quickly discovered through our link with Gary Neville and Sustainability in Sport.

He has though put money into the budget and they have a young team with a lot of strength in depth (they bought 4 strikers in the summer to compliment the 2 they already had) and I expect them to do well this year, play offs a realistic target.

One initiative they have introduced - if you have a Season Ticket at any Football League club you can watch any home games at half price on production of your ST, that is £8. you can also bring a friend (doesn't have to hold any ST) for £8 as well.

So 2 for £16 providing one of you is a City season ticket holder(or Gashead! Cheltenham, swindon ST etc)

I've only ever been to the New Lawn to watch BCFC in the pre season friendlies and thought I might go to a FGR game when City are away but it seems all their home games are on the the same day as City are home so shan't be doing that! The offer must be pitched for Gasheads..

Being the owner and sole share owner of Ecotricity, he certainly is not short of a few quid.

To say they are finally copetitive is ironic as many of the teams at that level operate on smaller budgets.

I'm not sure you understand what the word 'ironic' means. They used to operate on a budget which was a fraction of the other clubs in the league. Now they have one which allows them to compete at the top. It's hardly ironic.

Nots sure about the "fresh air" they use manure on their pitch to make it an orgnaic pitch

Am sure there was a story about having a soler powered lawn mower ???

Yes. Are you suggesting any of this is a bad thing?

You obviously have a "soft spot for FGR", but surely it is a bit strange that he banned the players and the ground from having red meat !

Surely the only chairman in the country who dictates what the players can't eat and what food is sold at their ground ?

Would understand if a choice was offered . . ..

I've been watching them for as long as I've been watching City. They were my local team growing up. If the owner thinks a diet without red meat is healthier and the manager and players don't disagree then I don't see the problem.

The Chairman has also done a Cardiff this season and imposed a kit change with no consultation with the supporters. So instead of the Black and White stripes worn for about 100 years, FGR now play in a home kit of 'Ecotricity Green'. This obviously hasn't proved hugely popular with supporters and might explain why last two home gates were only 760 and 940 despite the great start to the season.

Would be very funny if FGR swapped places with Bristol Rovers.

The kit change is certainly controversial but I think the new green kit is far nicer than the old black and white stripes. But then I didn't much like the old red socks either...

I'm not sure you understand what the word 'ironic' means. They used to operate on a budget which was a fraction of the other clubs in the league. Now they have one which allows them to compete at the top. It's hardly ironic.

Not as ironic as an old man who turns 98, wins the lottery and then dies the next day

OR

10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife

OR

meeting the man of your dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife

Personally, I think new approaches to running and promoting football clubs should be encouraged and embraced. The FGR chap reminds me somewhat of that episode in the Simpsons when Homer becomes the nuclear safety technician for a supervillain with great working conditions and a 'hippyish' attitude to life. Let him run the club his way I reckon, can't do worse than the majority of clubs/chairman in the FL and conference