IGNORED

Mcinnes Comparison With Martinez

Eco

Seems to be generally assumed that Roberto Martinez is an excellent young manager, but looking at his record with Wigan it's not the greatest.

W D L Winning %

40 41 70 27.15

I don't hear Wigan fans shouting for his head, why not ? Surely with such a poor record over the past three and a half seasons, and no signs of things getting better this season he'd be getting dogs abuse and the Chairman's dreaded vote of confidence, but if what we're led to believe is true he was nearly the man for Liverpool.

Compare the above record to Derek's record with us

W D L Winning %

17 14 30 27.87

I'm comparing City with Wigan as both clubs are small fish in a big pond, based on history and attendances. 2007/08 was a glorious blip for us. Both clubs also have stinkingly rich owners who appear to want to leave a legacy and have chosen young managers with success at their previous clubs who share the vision to build something tangible.

I'm not saying McInnes is an excellent manager, it's still early days yet imo, just trying to point out, clumsily, that perhaps SL has chosen to go down the Whelan route, ie. despite bad results he's seen something in the man and will stick with him long term.

Seems to be generally assumed that Roberto Martinez is an excellent young manager, but looking at his record with Wigan it's not the greatest.

W D L Winning %

40 41 70 27.15

I don't hear Wigan fans shouting for his head, why not ? Surely with such a poor record over the past three and a half seasons, and no signs of things getting better this season he'd be getting dogs abuse and the Chairman's dreaded vote of confidence, but if what we're led to believe is true he was nearly the man for Liverpool.

W D L Winning %

17 14 30 27.87

I'm comparing City with Wigan as both clubs are small fish in a big pond, based on history and attendances. 2007/08 was a glorious blip for us. Both clubs also have stinkingly rich owners who appear to want to leave a legacy and have chosen young managers with success at their previous clubs who share the vision to build something tangible.

I'm not saying McInnes is an excellent manager, it's still early days yet imo, just trying to point out, clumsily, that perhaps SL has chosen to go down the Whelan route, ie. despite bad results he's seen something in the man and will stick with him long term.

The most ridiculous comparison i have ever seen!

Different league for a start.

The is hilarious the same Martinez who has kept Wigan in the best league in the world against all the odds for how long now, do you think Martinez would drop a player who scored 2 goals the previous game, change a winning formula for some ridiculous formation and when it didn't work humiliate 2 players 1 minute before half time and then publicly blame the players?.

W D L Winning %

40 41 70 27.15

W D L Winning %

17 14 30 27.87

He is keeping Wigan in the top flight of football on modest amounts of money. Wigan fans know they have a tough job and their expectations are in line with their reality/situation.

We are not in the top flight of football, and is managing Bristol City with the money given/available in the Championship that tough a job ? Certainly we have had little success, but look around and see what others are doing and you just wonder whats going wrong. As for us being a small fish in a big Pond.... seriously, we are one of the UKs largest Cities, we would/should be able to have a premiership club let alone a Championship club.

He is keeping Wigan in the top flight of football on modest amounts of money. Wigan fans know they have a tough job and their expectations are in line with their reality/situation.

We are not in the top flight of football, and is managing Bristol City with the money given/available in the Championship that tough a job ? Certainly we have had little success, but look around and see what others are doing and you just wonder whats going wrong. As for us being a small fish in a big Pond.... seriously, we are one of the UKs largest Cities, we would/should be able to have a premiership club let alone a Championship club.

To most city fans we are a small fish in a big pond, because that is most city fans mind set & its ridiculous, we will always be a small fish in a big pond if that's all we're willing to settle for! I'm certainly not, i want to see this club moving forwards, not backwards and this should be every city fans attitude, not putting up with the 'small club, big pond' tag, the Championship really isn't that great, seriously! We're no smaller than Reading, Wigan, Bolton, Swansea, West Brom ect! the only difference is that these clubs don't settle for second best and excuses from the board.

And the same Martinez who got Swansea purring in the Championship and was poached by Wigan for the great job he did there.

No, given the choice, I'd rather have Martinez manage BCFC but that's as likely as getting David Moyes back to the club.

I think it was hoped by the board and us that DMC would be our Martinez, Rodgers or Lambert but he'll have to go some to make up for the relatively poor start here.

To most city fans we are a small fish in a big pond, because that is most city fans mind set & its ridiculous, we will always be a small fish in a big pond if that's all we're willing to settle for! I'm certainly not, i want to see this club moving forwards, not backwards and this should be every city fans attitude, not putting up with the 'small club, big pond' tag, the Championship really isn't that great, seriously! We're no smaller than Reading, Wigan, Bolton, Swansea, West Brom ect! the only difference is that these clubs don't settle for second best and excuses from the board.

Have a look back over our history of 'achievements' and you'll find our decent cup runs are practically non existent and on the rare occasions we've somehow managed to claw ourselves up to Division 2, ie, the Championship, have been accompanied by a struggle to hang in there.

Much as people would like to kid themselves otherwise, we ARE a small fish in a big pond. To become big, we need to be among the big hitters in this league and we've historically been low to mid table at this level at best.

That shouldn't stop us having some ambition, but our generally $h1t record over almost our whole history confirms we definitely aren't a big club I'm afraid.

Have a look back over our history of 'achievements' and you'll find our decent cup runs are practically non existent and on the rare occasions we've somehow managed to claw ourselves up to Division 2, ie, the Championship, have been accompanied by a struggle to hang in there.

Much as people would like to kid themselves otherwise, we ARE a small fish in a big pond. To become big, we need to be among the big hitters in this league and we've historically been low to mid table at this level at best.

That shouldn't stop us having some ambition, but our generally $h1t record over almost our whole history confirms we definitely aren't a big club I'm afraid.

I agree,we're not the biggest club in this league, but we're certainly not the smallest! just because we have a rubbish history doesn't mean to say we shouldn't strive for more! Burnley, Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool... these clubs are/were as big if not smaller than us, they can get it right, so why cant we?

W D L Winning %

40 41 70 27.15

W D L Winning %

17 14 30 27.87

You can make stats say anything depending on how you present them. The reality is in the fact that Wigan are punching well above their weight in being in the Premiership. Take away their Chairman's money and Martinez and they'd be a Div 2 Gas type club again.

I agree,we're not the biggest club in this league, but we're certainly not the smallest! just because we have a rubbish history doesn't mean to say we shouldn't strive for more! Burnley, Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool... these clubs are/were as big if not smaller than us, they can get it right, so why cant we?

A very good question and one I ask myself regularly!

Burnley have a lot of past history and even Blackpool have had some decent times. I've been following City since the early 1960's and keep telling myself that our time will come, but other than the 4 years in the old 1st Division, any form of success has pretty much passed us by in that 50 year period.

After half a century of mediocrity, it's very difficult to avoid optimism being replaced by realism and the honest truth is I can't see City as anything other than small fish at the division we're now in.

I think to reach that next level, Bristol as a city needs a massive change of mindset, as the Bristol public have proven time and again that they generally aren't interested in local sport. This is why our crowds don't reflect the size of Bristol and without a few years of success, I can't see that changing much,

Basically we're stuck with a bit of a chicken and egg situation really.

A very good question and one I ask myself regularly!

Burnley have a lot of past history and even Blackpool have had some decent times. I've been following City since the early 1960's and keep telling myself that our time will come, but other than the 4 years in the old 1st Division, any form of success has pretty much passed us by in that 50 year period.

After half a century of mediocrity, it's very difficult to avoid optimism being replaced by realism and the honest truth is I can't see City as anything other than small fish at the division we're now in.

I think to reach that next level, Bristol as a city needs a massive change of mindset, as the Bristol public have proven time and again that they generally aren't interested in local sport. This is why our crowds don't reflect the size of Bristol and without a few years of success, I can't see that changing much,

Basically we're stuck with a bit of a chicken and egg situation really.

You've made some great points there. Historically, this club had it's greatest era from 1905-1911. At that time, Bedminster's red brick terraced housing was new and local industry was growing and thriving. This reflected on the emerging local giant of a football club that was BCFC. Then came World War 1 in 1914 and the club has not recovered to it's pre World War 1 glory since. Basically, like you, I can't see City as anything other than small fish in the division we're now in without some really serious investment.

And the same Martinez who got Swansea purring in the Championship and was poached by Wigan for the great job he did there.

No, given the choice, I'd rather have Martinez manage BCFC but that's as likely as getting David Moyes back to the club.

I think it was hoped by the board and us that DMC would be our Martinez, Rodgers or Lambert but he'll have to go some to make up for the relatively poor start here.

Don't say things like that, it'll be on transfer rumours next. I can just see it:

David Moyes to Bristol City in a sensational shock move. Fed up with having his car broken into on Merseyside, he's decided to come back down south. Said Moyes in an interview with the Evening Post (Bristol's favourite paper, folks!), Big Dave said "I loved my time down there, the fans are the best in the world, can't wait to grow my hair back to its former massive glory, do the two-handed wave and grin like a gurning speed-addict again".

City's players were said to be absolutely bricking themselves at the prospect of Dave's thousand yard stare and no-nonsense Scottish hard man ways. Kit man Scott Murray said "You should see the state of their shorts after training, all brown but only on the inside, it's disgusting, I've asked for a payrise because of it". Shares in local bogroll suppliers soared at the news.

Or something like that...

You've made some great points there. Historically, this club had it's greatest era from 1905-1911. At that time, Bedminster's red brick terraced housing was new and local industry was growing and thriving. This reflected on the emerging local giant of a football club that was BCFC. Then came World War 1 in 1914 and the club has not recovered to it's pre World War 1 glory since. Basically, like you, I can't see City as anything other than small fish in the division we're now in without some really serious investment.

I sometimes wish I'd been born 60 years earlier, so I could have watched City as one of the top teams in the country and also playing in an FA cup Final!

Still, on the plus side, we hopefully haven't got a World War to look forward to in the near future!!!

I sometimes wish I'd been born 60 years earlier, so I could have watched City as one of the top teams in the country and also playing in an FA cup Final!

Still, on the plus side, we hopefully haven't got a World War to look forward to in the near future!!!

In the early 1900s you could get work on a cargo sailing ship in Bristol docks and earn money while travelling the world. Disembark with your wad of wages on the centre and catch a tram to Ashton Gate to watch the likes of England's Billy Wedlock play top flight football for the then mighty BCFC. Bristol was the place to be 1905-11.

Thanks for at least vaguely understanding the point I was trying to get across !

Thanks for at least vaguely understanding the point I was trying to get across !

I think "hoped" wss the operative word - unfortunately for all concerned it doesn't look to have been born out.

As he's unlikely to be sacked anytime soon he'll no doubt have longer to prove himself and, while I really want him to succeed as per Lambert, I'm not convinced he will.

Archived