IGNORED

Lets Spare A Moment For The People Of The Philippines

havanatopia

I know it has been on the news in fairly blanket coverage these past few days but i just think a non-football chat forum should always have a place to remember those who suffer through natural tragedies. A place where people can express their feelings and perhaps share a common thing we all share; humanity coming together to remember those who are suffering and those who are far less fortunate than ourselves.

I am largely based in Cebu now and what I experienced today will stay with me for the rest of my life. While Cebu City, a metropolis of nearly 3 million was largely spared the might of Super Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda is the name here) those in the north of the island faired far worse. I experienced that today as i went north to assist in distributing medicine kits. I really cannot express in justifiable words here what i saw but it was utter devastation. But even northern Cebu, with countless lives lost was not so badly hit as Leyte and Samar provinces to the east where we have seen towns completely wiped out. Tagloban which is effectively the most easterly and last inhabited place in the Philippines and faces  the huge open ocean of the Pacific is more or less no more. A city of 300,000 people wiped from the face of the earth in a few short hours. People stood no chance. other provinces really hit hard were northern Negros and the periphery islands and northern most points of Palawan.

Many places are still cut off from any communication and airlift and it will take days more for the full expanse of the destruction and death toll to be known. I hope you all have the means and opportunity to donate what you can to the Red Cross and Oxfam or just to spare a thought or say a prayer. Forgive me for not flying home this Christmas to see City play. I think i will stay here now and spend some of that money and some of my valuable time where it is more needed.

Filipinos are lovely people and the Philippines is a beautiful, if very poor country. I doubt that there is another country where the people can be more welcoming. The reports show people with literally nothing left, yet they still manage a smile and vow to carry on.

Unfortunately, the country's infrastructure is very limited, and they are destined to struggle with putting their lives back together after this disaster. The rebuilding will take years.

Credit to Havantopia for staying put to help.

The Philippines needs as many friends as it can get now; that includes countries and also individuals.

I have sent some money their way. But I think they will be needing a whole lot more than the 190 million they are currently asking for.

Parts have been raised to the ground. And this is no Japan who have the infrastructure in place to bounce back (relatively) quickly from a national catastrophe.

I feel fo the poor buggers, where the hell do you house whole cities? I really don't know what will happen over there. But I think countries in close proximity will have to help house these homeless people in the short term.

I know it has been on the news in fairly blanket coverage these past few days but i just think a non-football chat forum should always have a place to remember those who suffer through natural tragedies. A place where people can express their feelings and perhaps share a common thing we all share; humanity coming together to remember those who are suffering and those who are far less fortunate than ourselves.

I am largely based in Cebu now and what I experienced today will stay with me for the rest of my life. While Cebu City, a metropolis of nearly 3 million was largely spared the might of Super Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda is the name here) those in the north of the island faired far worse. I experienced that today as i went north to assist in distributing medicine kits. I really cannot express in justifiable words here what i saw but it was utter devastation. But even northern Cebu, with countless lives lost was not so badly hit as Leyte and Samar provinces to the east where we have seen towns completely wiped out. Tagloban which is effectively the most easterly and last inhabited place in the Philippines and faces  the huge open ocean of the Pacific is more or less no more. A city of 300,000 people wiped from the face of the earth in a few short hours. People stood no chance. other provinces really hit hard were northern Negros and the periphery islands and northern most points of Palawan.

Many places are still cut off from any communication and airlift and it will take days more for the full expanse of the destruction and death toll to be known. I hope you all have the means and opportunity to donate what you can to the Red Cross and Oxfam or just to spare a thought or say a prayer. Forgive me for not flying home this Christmas to see City play. I think i will stay here now and spend some of that money and some of my valuable time where it is more needed.

Good effort, mate. Keep us updated.

My donation - via the DEC appeal - has been made.

Visited the Philippines while in the Navy and found it to be a lovely place with lovelier people,so sorry to hear how they have been affected by this storm only hope that those who have survived can bring their life back to normal as soon as possible.

In the meantime can everyone give a little to the appeal or at least pray for them.

Hey great to see that my thread may have helped get a few more donations in. every little helps. The friendliness of the people, as some have mentioned, is indeed astounding and especially in the face of such adversity. Probably is the friendliest people i have ever met.

Interesting to see President Aquino saying this morning that the death toll may not be so high and nearer 2,500 than 10,000. I think, personally, he may be wrong on that but i hope not of course.

Lot of rain now spreading across the islands which is not exactly helpful.