IGNORED

If our Summer transfer activity was so bad

NickJ

9 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

What a stupid ******* post!!! 

Really?

I just noticed on the BBS site he is 3rd highest scorer, didn't realise that before.

Its a serious question. Was it really that bad. We made one really good signing to strengthen the position which probably most needed it, given Wilbs' age.

We don't have a god given right to acquire the best position in every position.

I think the comments about the summer transfer activity have been exaggerated.

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Really?

I just noticed on the BBS site he is 3rd highest scorer, didn't realise that before.

Its a serious question. Was it really that bad. We made one really good signing to strengthen the position which probably most needed it, given Wilbs' age.

Yes really..

I really shouldn't have to explain to you that we had time and money to build a squad worthy of this league not to mention the momentum. One good signing in Kodja no-where near papers over the cracks of this seasons debacle and the jury is still fully out!! 

1 minute ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Yes really..

I really shouldn't have to explain to you that we had time and money to build a squad worthy of this league not to mention the momentum. One good signing in Kodja no-where near papers over the cracks of this seasons debacle and the jury is still fully out!! 

OK so which players did the other promoted clubs Preston and Milton Keynes sign that made their transfer activity so much better than ours?

14 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Really?

No we don't but we did require to strengthen other parts of the team... which we didn't.

Kodjia was a great acquisition but to come out with this thread is ludicrous. It was a poor summer and Cotterill alluded to this earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

If our Summer transfer activity was so bad

How come we acquired the joint 3rd highest scorer in the division.

At a quarter the price of the top scorer.

??

Now there's failing to accept anything at the club isn't perfect , a refusal to allow or accept any criticism of anything to do with BCFC , there's complete blind optimism and then there is this !!

It's a bit of a weird transfer window, because on paper if you'd have said we have:

Kodjia, Fredericks (we wouldn't have needed Bennett), Moore, Baker, Robinson and Hamer

Most wouldn't have been too disappointed - we'd have still hankered after a midfielder and possibly a striker.  But we may have accepted the silly money for Gray and Gayle could be spent elsewhere.  We probably expected a couple more permit signings rather than loan, but to get Baker was a coup.

However up to last week, you'd say Hamer, Robinson and Moore haven't come off.  Moore now looks like he can do a good job over the past 120 minutes.

i haven included Cox, as that was post window (I know Bennett was too, but I count him as Fredericks - who I think we would have enjoyed seeing, had something not gone on!).

We should be going into the January window in a more positive mood than we are. 

I'm just hoping we can get another 2 wins in our next 5/6 games to keep our heads above water, and then strengthen....but it won't be easy.

Sad to want other clubs to struggle but I really hope the bottom three get cut adrift.  Charlton v Bolton, MKD v  Sheffield Wed and Huddersfield v Rotherham on Tuesday night may well define the mood of Bristol City FC leading up to that window....and maybe next Saturday re QPR.

We are Bristol City, we don't make life easy for our fans!

Exactly.

Kodja and Baker have been excellent signings. Hamer was too to cover for Fielding. Moore looks decent.

I honestly think the stuff about the poor transfer activity has been exaggerated.

And I would bet good money Preston and Milton Keynes would swap their signings for ours.

So it wasn't that bad.

11 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Exactly.

Kodja and Baker have been excellent signings. Hamer was too to cover for Fielding. Moore looks decent.

I honestly think the stuff about the poor transfer activity has been exaggerated.

And I would bet good money Preston and Milton Keynes would swap their signings for ours.

So it wasn't that bad.

Why would Preston? Looks like they have settled alot better than us.

Have made this point before. Preston's signings were nothing special yet they are sitting nicely in mid-table.

We seem to have fallen behind them and it isn't necessarily due to the change in players. Their manager has worked on playing it tight and nicking games by the odd goal.

That has paid off more than our open, attacking game. Do we really want to go down that route though??

3 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Why would Preston? Looks like they have settled alot better than us.

Less than 2 wins in front of us not that much better.

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Have made this point before. Preston's signings were nothing special yet they are sitting nicely in mid-table.

We seem to have fallen behind them and it isn't necessarily due to the change in players. Their manager has worked on playing it tight and nicking games by the odd goal.

That has paid of more than our open, attacking game. Do we really want to go down that route though??

Yes agreed.

Our manager tried to reward the fans with attacking football which was exposed, since when its been tightened up albeit with the odd blip.

The summers signings weren't that bad IMO.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

OK so which players did the other promoted clubs Preston and Milton Keynes sign that made their transfer activity so much better than ours?

Not interested in who PNE or MK signed. We shot ourselves in the foot and it would really be good for us fans if the Club actually told us what exactly the reason was.

Not waffle about high wages, agents fees and so on but a full and frank explanation. We are entitled to that as paying supporters and shareholders like me who put my entire savings into shares in 1982. Not much compared with others but everything I had.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Really?

We were making bids of £7m+ for players that didn't want to come (and I'm glad neither of them did because spending so much for one player would have been utterly wrong).  We didn't sign anybody permanently in a number of positions where we needed to strengthen.  Clearly the funds were there, and given the outcome it's reasonable to say we targeted the wrong players.  To say the summer transfer activity was almost disastrous wouldn't be an exaggeration IMO.

I think the issue is that there was money there to be spent on strengthening the squad (GK,CM,ST) & it wasn't put to use!!

Maybe if we had signed the players to fill those positions we would be further up the league & possibly looking towards the play-offs instead of looking over our shoulders at the relegation zone & if that was the case the club as a whole would be a much more positive place to be at & we could of looked at the January transfer window with the hope of optimism that we may sign 1 or 2 more players to bring the quality of the squad up even further in the hope of push towards the play-offs.

Instead, we are just above the relegation zone & haven't exactly set the division alight & instead there is a fear of relegation & a fear that we won't be able to sign anyone to strengthen the squad as no one would prefer to come here for a relegation scrap if they are given the choice of say us or Sheffield Wednesday for instance!!

Which then means the 2nd half of the season means we are looking at more of the same unless there is dramatic change is the standard of some of the current players performances!!

In the summer the club had momentum & the feel good factor which put hope in us that we would move forward as a club & while Kodjia has been a great signing, it wasn't enough to move the club forward & keep that feel good factor!!

We should of been looking to build around Kodjia in the hope that he would stay beyond his first contract, instead fans are already looking at the possibility of him moving on to bigger things & if we had had a decent summer recruitment we would of been adding to this type of player & not possibly losing the only player we actually signed!!

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

We were making bids of £7m+ for players that didn't want to come (and I'm glad neither of them did because spending so much for one player would have been utterly wrong).  We didn't sign anybody permanently in a number of positions where we needed to strengthen.  Clearly the funds were there, and given the outcome it's reasonable to say we targeted the wrong players.  To say the summer transfer activity was almost disastrous wouldn't be an exaggeration IMO.

Everything is relative.

Given that promoted clubs have more quality gap to fill which 2 players have Preston and the Plastics signed that are better than Kodja and Baker.

See you cant do it!

So relative to other clubs it wasn't disastrous.

We are going in the right direction people are making too much of temporary setbacks.

LDWLLDLDDWLDLWDDLLW. 

Our record so far this season 4 wins 7 draws 8 defeats. Sorry Nick can't identify a blib anywhere in those stats to be honest. 

One signing within the summer, although what seems to be a good signing, is not enough to strengthen the squad as a whole. 

With the success of last season. We were all, I think, sucker punched Into  thinking we have a squad good enough  (if slightly sparse) to compete in this league. 

Hinsight I do believe proves we are not. However our League position at this stage tells us that our status in the championship is in our hands. 

And to my mind consolidation was always the main, if secondary objective. 

We do need to strengthen in the January window in order to at least stay away from the relegation zone. 

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Everything is relative.

Given that promoted clubs have more quality gap to fill which 2 players have Preston and the Plastics signed that are better than Kodja and Baker.

See you cant do it!

So relative to other clubs it wasn't disastrous.

We are going in the right direction people are making too much of temporary setbacks.

Relative to two other clubs who we already outspend by a large margin and will be quite likely to go down... So what you're saying is it wasn't a disaster because there were maybe two clubs that did worse?  I'll have to disagree.  I suspect even the manager would chuckle at your assessment.  Privately anyway.

We started the season in a tougher league with just one permanent signing that improved the first XI when there was at least £7m available in transfer fees to improve the team.  We stuck with a system the manager had described as too open for the championship and we are struggling as a direct result, currently on less than a point a game which over the course of the season will be relegation.  

It was a terrible summer in the transfer market and if people are doing their jobs properly we should have players lined up to come in on 1st January having been working on it since the window shut.

Archived