IGNORED

Don't hold your breath for January transfers

Major Isewater

Think we had a similar topic awhile back. I'm not holding my breath for 3-4 permanent signings. I hope we can make 1 or 2 but I imagine even they will be with worst case scenario behind it. Maybe a player or 2 from lower leagues that can replace one or two that won't come down with us if we do with the hope they add quality to keep us up. 

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With his loan record signing we are stuffed then

lets be honest the signing of Cox is a complete joke and I'd be asking some very searching questions as SL

Agree with that, presumably we are paying towards Cox's wages and possibly Callum Robinson's too. What on earth happened there? Very odd to sign a player from a league rival just for them to sit on the bench. Does no party any good.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we pay the money they will come, players aren't as bothered about league position as you make out, especially if they're convinced they'll be the reason we comfortably stay up.

Admire your optimism PF but I'm not sure I'm wth you on this one - players are much more picky these days and we are likely to attract the wrong ones for the reasons if we have to rely on silly money

I don't have a solution TBF - I'd def be in for Matt Smith for one

Seriously concerned

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Admire your optimism PF but I'm not sure I'm wth you on this one - players are much more picky these days and we are likely to attract the wrong ones for the reasons if we have to rely on silly money

Seriously concerned

Fulham are under transfer embargo, no way they let him go to a league and potential relegation rival.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Seriously concerned

Fair points, especially as the likes of Grey picked Burnley due to their better promotion prospects (looks to be a wise choice too).

In a way though, it might be easier to get the type of players we need. It's about this time of year that experienced midfielders in the prem can see they're not going to get games and will want a move whereas in the summer they weren't sure where they stood.. I'm thinking of Steve Sidwell here or Leon Britton.

Wouldn't mind smith, we'd be much more dangerous at set plays and he knows the club. Depends on price for me though, I don't see him as a 2/3m buy - more a £1m. 

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Don't they have to cut their financial losses before June, in which case cashing in on Smith might be attractive for Fulham...?

Relegation would be financially worse for them and they're 3 points above the drop zone, why sell a striker who could help a team get away from the relegation spaces?

49 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With his loan record signing we are stuffed then

lets be honest the signing of Cox is a complete joke and I'd be asking some very searching questions as SL

His loan track record is mixed, but then tell me a manager whose record isn't...

Baker and Bennett good, Moore and Hamer OK, Cox and Robinson poor.

53 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think we had a similar topic awhile back. I'm not holding my breath for 3-4 permanent signings. I hope we can make 1 or 2 but I imagine even they will be with worst case scenario behind it. Maybe a player or 2 from lower leagues that can replace one or two that won't come down with us if we do with the hope they add quality to keep us up. 

The trouble with finding the gems from lower leagues is that it's a big step up. 

We had the pick of the lower league talent last season. 

These signings have now had a season and a half together and are still struggling in this league. To look at the lower leagues is not the answer I dont think. 

Given the time to bed in and the obvious step up in class. 

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we pay the money they will come, players aren't as bothered about league position as you make out, especially if they're convinced they'll be the reason we comfortably stay up.

Yes I agree on some level...clearly The Gayles and Grey's wont come but the Smith's and Kermogants probably will

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree with that, presumably we are paying towards Cox's wages and possibly Callum Robinson's too. What on earth happened there? Very odd to sign a player from a league rival just for them to sit on the bench. Does no party any good.

Cox was a nightmare signing....Good player, but the club could have had no idea what sort of a fat w anker he had become....Ala that can of worms HUNT and that lump from QPR! (just two of the reasons SL is looking for value)

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fair points, especially as the likes of Grey picked Burnley due to their better promotion prospects (looks to be a wise choice too).

In a way though, it might be easier to get the type of players we need. It's about this time of year that experienced midfielders in the prem can see they're not going to get games and will want a move whereas in the summer they weren't sure where they stood.. I'm thinking of Steve Sidwell here or Leon Britton.

Wouldn't mind smith, we'd be much more dangerous at set plays and he knows the club. Depends on price for me though, I don't see him as a 2/3m buy - more a £1m. 

If we are not chomping at the bit to get Smth I would be surprised, but with Fulham in free fall, thats going to cost real money! We need an experienced midfielder or two and god forbid, give Wes a game in the next week! 

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

His loan track record is mixed, but then tell me a manager whose record isn't...

Baker and Bennett good, Moore and Hamer OK, Cox and Robinson poor.

Graham I agree with the large majority of your considered opinions but can't on this one - 

Baker fine, but he was always going to be good at this level and I suggested him when we signed Robinson - he was hardly a great ' find' tho we did OK to persuade him here

Moore I'd argue was mixed to say the least for me, was he injured when we took him ?

Cant see how we can see Hamer as OK tbh and he was so p'd off he went back

Robinson - very poor

and Cox who I understand from himself was miles away from any sort of fitness when he arrived and clearly is still not fit enough to take part with any trust has been a ridiculous signing IMO - pure panic because we couldn't get anyone else

Id describe our loan recruitment as sticking a pin in a long list of available loanees and keeping our fingers crossed

Cox was a nightmare signing....Good player, but the club could have had no idea what sort of a fat w anker he had become....Ala that can of worms HUNT and that lump from QPR! (just two of the reasons SL is looking for value)

Someone not not doing their job properly then. 

What happened from his medical; to turning up to do a job for us?

19 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

If we don't do a lot of business in Jan we will have a half empty stadium and cotts will be looking for a job. Also what does  Burt do. I would have thought players would have been signed up ready to announce on the first Jan. After all we have known our weaknesses  months ago.

Apparently ,as of last week , SL is waiting for Cott's wishlist . :blink:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Graham I agree with the large majority of your considered opinions but can't on this one - 

Baker fine, but he was always going to be good at this level and I suggested him when we signed Robinson - he was hardly a great ' find' tho we did OK to persuade him here

Moore I'd argue was mixed to say the least for me, was he injured when we took him ?

Cant see how we can see Hamer as OK tbh and he was so p'd off he went back

Robinson - very poor

and Cox who I understand from himself was miles away from any sort of fitness when he arrived and clearly is still not fit enough to take part with any trust has been a ridiculous signing IMO - pure panic because we couldn't get anyone else

Id describe our loan recruitment as sticking a pin in a long list of available loanees and keeping our fingers crossed

Both Moore and Hamer have made a useful contribution, the latter when Fielding was injured, the former as a squad player over a much longer spell.

Cox has obviously been a mistake, whereas I see Robinson as a consequence of our disastrous summer as we barely had a full bench by season's start so took a gamble on him (which failed).

Matt Smith? Tavernier? 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

SL admits that we need new players and will try to bring the right ones in January however we struggled in the summer when we were on the crest of a wave how are we supposed to attract quality players in our current position ?

I believe SL is counting on loans to see us over the line but it is a HUGE gamble .

That is what worries me. What player of quality or who are very promising will want to join a sinking ship with Cotterill. Can't see many joining myself with league 1 football a very real  possibility if not almost certainly on the cards.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Both Moore and Hamer have made a useful contribution, the latter when Fielding was injured, the former as a squad player over a much longer spell.

Cox has obviously been a mistake, whereas I see Robinson as a consequence of our disastrous summer as we barely had a full bench by season's start so took a gamble on him (which failed).

Matt Smith? Tavernier? 

The Cox and Robinson ones I'd agree - both for me were panic signings - which concerns me as the same  people will be trying to save the season in January

Think,we need a midfield 'leader' more than anything Graham

3 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Someone not not doing their job properly then. 

What happened from his medical; to turning up to do a job for us?

Possibly. Pelling has already been fired for that.

As far as the medical goes, they look for injuries and possible future injuries. I doubt the club doc et al have ever been given a fat w anker madate until now, but I reckon they have since....Signing players that are surplus to requirements is fraught as players are not match fit by definition....Which would of course also mean the Kermogants/free agents will not be match ready....Yes its a mess, but not necessarily the responsibility of SC and SL must be fuming that another waste of space (Pelling) took gob loads of his money while being a complete joke at his job....

SL knows this will cost him dear but no one at the club can panic, there is too much at stake particularly for the majority shareholder.

37 minutes ago, hodge said:

Relegation would be financially worse for them and they're 3 points above the drop zone, why sell a striker who could help a team get away from the relegation spaces?

Smith has not started a game since Fulham's change of manager, so we can assume not seen as essential to help them get away from the relegation places. They have to cut their losses so have to listen of sensible offers, I'd say.

Archived