IGNORED

This season is just like a fairy tale - Grimm

Bantry Banter

In my seven decades of supporting City, I have been through more relegations than I care to count up, but I have never known a season like this when we have been completely unable to compete. It really does seem as though the club wants relegation as it has done almost nothing to convince us it is serious about staying in the league.  After his last public thoughts I am not even convinced the manager does.

No one listens to the fans, so the only people that can facilitate change are now  the players.

One last hurrah for Wibs - stand up and speak as the captain directly to the owner, and you will be a City hero forever

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

In my seven decades of supporting City, I have been through more relegations than I care to count up, but I have never known a season like this when we have been completely unable to compete. It really does seem as though the club wants relegation as it has done almost nothing to convince us it is serious about staying in the league.  After his last public thoughts I am not even convinced the manager does.

No one listens to the fans, so the only people that can facilitate change are now  the players.

One last hurrah for Wibs - stand up and speak as the captain directly to the owner, and you will be a City hero forever

If you've been supporting that long you will remember 78-82. Nothing this season can throw at us will compare.

3 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

If you've been supporting that long you will remember 78-82. Nothing this season can throw at us will compare.

In many ways true, but even at that time it was possible to understand what had gone wrong…we'd gone bust! 

The difference for me with this season is that we seem to have pushed a self-destruct button for no apparent reason at all.

Inexplicable!

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Ashtonboy

Yes in one way I agree with your comment, but my fear is that this particular trough has only just begun, andcould turn out like that one .  I know we are starting our decline in the Championship but who says where we might end ....

Even if we do succumb to the dreaded drop, I'd be confident we'll challenge for promotion again next season.

56 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

In many ways true, but even at that time it was possible to understand what had gone wrong…we'd gone bust! 

The difference for me with this season is that we seem to have pushed a self-destruct button for no apparent reason at all.

Inexplicable!

Completely agree.  This situation is both unforgivable and inexplicable.

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Even if we do succumb to the dreaded drop, I'd be confident we'll challenge for promotion again next season.

Why do you believe that? We will have to rebuild completely because those who think they are good enough for another Championship club will move and we'll be left with the dross.

It usually takes us five years or more to come back up.

I would t say the club have done nothing. They have bid £9million for Gray, £6million for Gayle and £2million for Clough. They are not players out of our reach. We should be aiming for players who are out of favour at other champ/prem teams and the best players from league 1 teams. We've tried to take advantage of a team in financial trouble and pinch their young starlet. Why they havnt joined is another question. It doesn't appear to be wages, but more the stature of the club.

the issue I can see is that we have put all our hope on individual transfers rather than looking at 3-4 at once. To me we need to be looking to expand the support the manager gets for scouting and contract negotiations.

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

I would t say the club have done nothing. They have bid £9million for Gray, £6million for Gayle and £2million for Clough. They are not players out of our reach. We should be aiming for players who are out of favour at other champ/prem teams and the best players from league 1 teams. We've tried to take advantage of a team in financial trouble and pinch their young starlet. Why they havnt joined is another question. It doesn't appear to be wages, but more the stature of the club.

the issue I can see is that we have put all our hope on individual transfers rather than looking at 3-4 at once. To me we need to be looking to expand the support the manager gets for scouting and contract negotiations.

so where are they then ?

29 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I've seen a few stating this and have no idea where this confidence is coming from; if it is because of last season, I'd suggest it is misplaced optimism.

Our squad is clearly weaker in terms of options and depth than last season, and the very fact we will have been relegated if in League One next year will not help us - despite our potential spending power for that level.

How could you sell this club as a  destination for ambitious young pros if they think we'll just end up going straight back down if promoted?  No way to be seen.

Plus; anyone half-decent in this current team will go, and I don't expect SC would be here, one way or the other.

It will be square one again, but this time with 10k empty seats when half the league comes to town.  

I cannot for the life of me understand people being so over-optimistic about our prospects of relegated.

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Why do you believe that? We will have to rebuild completely because those who think they are good enough for another Championship club will move and we'll be left with the dross.

Exactly.

Were we fiercely raging against the drop currently, then I'd feel different; but my concern is we're getting poor results in a league where the bottom teams are all terrible, and that doesn't bode well if we end up down.

I'd take safety on goals scored (not that we would win that stat right now...) this season, if it ended up that way; for me, it is one of the most important campaigns recent memory, as Championship status and an increased capacity next year will allow us to hopefully build sustainably at this level in a way we've not managed before.

It really is a very important run in coming up.

30 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Recent experience of winning the league at a canter will hold us in good stead.  I'd be surprised if many Champs teams were after our current crop of players based on the season so far (Smith and Kodjia the exception for me).  I see no reason why, with SL still at the helm, the ground due to be finished, and the club no longer suffering from financial hardship, coupled with the fact we don't have journeymen on long contracts, that we won't be able to invest in the right talent and go again just as we did in 2014 / 2015.

I keep an eye on League One, and I don't see much there to scare us.  Look no further than Burton and Walsall sniffing for automatic promotion - says it all really.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Recent experience of winning the league at a canter will hold us in good stead.  I'd be surprised if many Champs teams were after our current crop of players based on the season so far (Smith and Kodjia the exception for me).  I see no reason why, with SL still at the helm, the ground due to be finished, and the club no longer suffering from financial hardship, coupled with the fact we don't have journeymen on long contracts, that we won't be able to invest in the right talent and go again just as we did in 2014 / 2015.

I keep an eye on League One, and I don't see much there to scare us.  Look no further than Burton and Walsall sniffing for automatic promotion - says it all really.

Will be fun seeing Burton just about stay up in the Championship next year.  What will that tell us?

22 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I literally could not (respectfully) disagree more.

I broke it down elsewhere how when we were relegated last time, many of the players we lost, and that I would argue are less 'desirable' than our current crop, ended up back at this level - I think we'd likely lose Smith, Kodjia, Freeman, Flint, Bryan and possibly even Burns, and if we think it'll be a doddle with the threadbare nature of our current squad to replace such key figures, I cannot agree.

Last season was lightining in a bottle; 7 quality signings for that level immediately gelling with one another, and many existing players upping their games - that doesn't happen often, and people forget we had six decent months before to perpare, and for the man I still think was the best signing we have made for many years (and we've yet to replace) to bed into the club.  That being Wade Elliot, who was the catalyst to last season, if not always the driving force.

And we underestimate League One at our peril; as SO'D proved, it is no place to experiment, and I look at it now, and believe it will actually be a much harder league next season, due to the teams coming up and those currently in transition there who may well be forces next year.

The over-confidence that still holds sway on some despite us completely halting our 18 months of momentum last summer shocks me; why would being relegated this year remove that?  Answer is; it wouldn't, and would indeed compound it.

There is never a 'good' relegation unless it involes the blue half of Bristol, so let's stop kidding ourselves otherwise.

20 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Will be fun seeing Burton just about stay up in the Championship next year.  What will that tell us?

Just like it is seeing Preston stabilise at the moment; yesterday was (or at least should be) a big wake up call to the Club about wisely investing and using resources and momentum to get a beachhead at this level, by buying young yet experienced players like Cunningham, for an example.

Then I see we're linked with Peter Crouch, and I can't quite believe what I'm seeing...

22 minutes ago, samo II said:

I literally could not (respectfully) disagree more.

I broke it down elsewhere how when we were relegated last time, many of the players we lost, and that I would argue are less 'desirable' than our current crop, ended up back at this level - I think we'd likely lose Smith, Kodjia, Freeman, Flint, Bryan and possibly even Burns, and if we think it'll be a doddle with the threadbare nature of our current squad to replace such key figures, I cannot agree.

Last season was lightining in a bottle; 7 quality signings for that level immediately gelling with one another, and many existing players upping their games - that doesn't happen often, and people forget we had six decent months before to perpare, and for the man I still think was the best signing we have made for many years (and we've yet to replace) to bed into the club.  That being Wade Elliot, who was the catalyst to last season, if not always the driving force.

And we underestimate League One at our peril; as SO'D proved, it is no place to experiment, and I look at it now, and believe it will actually be a much harder league next season, due to the teams coming up and those currently in transition there who may well be forces next year.

The over-confidence that still holds sway on some despite us completely halting our 18 months of momentum last summer shocks me; why would being relegated this year remove that?  Answer is; it wouldn't, and would indeed compound it.

There is never a 'good' relegation unless it involes the blue half of Bristol, so let's stop kidding ourselves otherwise.

Just like it is seeing Preston stabilise at the moment; yesterday was (or at least should be) a big wake up call to the Club about wisely investing and using resources and momentum to get a beachhead at this level, by buying young yet experienced players like Cunningham, for an example.

Then I see we're linked with Peter Crouch, and I can't quite believe what I'm seeing...

An excellent post delivered with cogent points, but I still disagree.  Don't worry though, it's good to see things differently!

I remain sure that we could indeed get lightning to strike twice and entice the players we needed to devastate League 1 again, if indeed that is our fate for next season.

Without wanting to sound brash, league one does not concern me; in our current guise we would still attract the key players to repeat our fine form of last season and we would still have the financial muscle to outgun most teams.  It's only Sheff Utd or Coventry who could depose us - but I'd still fancy us over them.

Anyway - it's all theory at this stage - will wait and see what happens in January with respect to our squad before making any more declarations about our fate this season.

Just now, reddogkev said:

An excellent post delivered with cogent points, but I still disagree.  Don't worry though, it's good to see things differently!

I remain sure that we could indeed get lightning to strike twice and entice the players we needed to devastate League 1 again, if indeed that is our fate for next season.

Without wanting to sound brash, league one does not concern me; in our current guise we would still attract the key players to repeat our fine form of last season and we would still have the financial muscle to outgun most teams.  It's only Sheff Utd or Coventry who could depose us - but I'd still fancy us over them.

Anyway - it's all theory at this stage - will wait and see what happens in January with respect to our squad before making any more declarations about our fate this season.

I do of course hope that if the worst comes to the worst you are absolutely right and I'm absolutely wrong; as you say, it is the beauty of the debate.

In truth I hope we're both completely wrong, and that instead we stave off the drop and end up chasing a different kind of promotion next year!

1 minute ago, samo II said:

In truth I hope we're both completely wrong, and that instead we stave off the drop and end up chasing a different kind of promotion next year!

Amen to that!  I am now clinging to the desperate belief we will finish higher than Bolton, Charlton and MK Dons.

On 13 January 2016 at 15:59, Ashtonboy said:

Eh? In 1978/79 we finished 13th in the top division.....now the Premier League.

We beat very strong teams at the time such as Villa at home and Ipswich away.

We beat Man U away with super Kev's hatrick, we beat Liverpool at home, we stuffed Cov 5-0 and we beat a very strong WBA team. I could go on....

In 1979/80 we beat Villa away, Leeds away, Man City at home, a strong Wolves at home and we beat Everton whilst putting 6 past Derby in the FA Cup.

1981 and 1982 were the proper horrid times.....

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh? In 1978/79 we finished 13th in the top division.....now the Premier League.

We beat very strong teams at the time such as Villa at home and Ipswich away.

We beat Man U away with super Kev's hatrick, we beat Liverpool at home, we stuffed Cov 5-0 and we beat a very strong WBA team. I could go on....

In 1979/80 we beat Villa away, Leeds away, Man City at home, a strong Wolves at home and we beat Everton whilst putting 6 past Derby in the FA Cup.

1981 and 1982 were the proper horrid times.....

Thanks BS4, but i think you know what i meant!!

Archived