IGNORED

Who is negotiating for new players ?

Major Isewater

Just a thought but normally it's Cotterill and Burt who negotiate for players is it not ?

When does Cotts have time to do this in between training , preparing for the forthcoming matches etc .

Are we really just relying on Burt and Cotts , part time , to sign the players necessary to save our Championship status ?

Why did n't we sign certain loan  players with a permanent transfer clause inserted ready for complétion on the opening day of the window , surely that was do-able ? 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Agree with @OddBallJim, would guess Cotts says. I need a player in X position

Scouts etc look for said player - Cotts picks one off the list then Burts negotiates with the player / agent - if and when that is agreed Cotts says Hello to them

That is also my understanding. 

However Cotts seemed to indicate he brought PG here, whilst it is anyone's guess who brought Cox here for what reason.

18 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I believe it is Burts mandate to conduct ALL the negotiations as part of his role as DOF. Who is in charge of recruiting players for the team though has become entirely unclear in the wake of Cox and Garita.

Pretty sure it's not Cox and Garita, although, I say that but....

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Scouts etc look for said player - Cotts picks one off the list then Burts negotiates with the player / agent - if and when that is agreed Cotts says Hello to them

"Hello. There's the bench, over there..."

14 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

That is also my understanding. 

However Cotts seemed to indicate he brought PG here, whilst it is anyone's guess who brought Cox here for what reason.

Cotts does the channel tunnel run. No f#$@er tries to get in the boot of his car and sneak into old Blighty. Unless they are big, raw, hungry and the other one, plus happy to agree to £1200 a week.

6 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Probably the Director ie Burt is like a used car salesman. he draws up the offer and then has to get it approved by Lansdown . that is probably where the frustration kicks in......

We're not in the market for used players though, cos they depreciate rapidly and have no re-sale value. Plus they get injured a lot and spend more time in the "garage" with a bloke in oily overalls sliding under them than they do pottering around town, as it were.

Anyway, @Pongo will know more about this

I'm led to believe that Pemberton has taken training a few times this month as SC has been busy trying to get players in, so maybe he gives it a little more time than people suspect

I would think Cotts would chat to the player, show him around etc, whilst Burt deals with the agent - that's how it should work, yeah?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

And the player then says (after about three days) "go **** yerself!"   :cool:

2 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Two weeks in and nothing, bar O'Donnel which was forced. Utterly disgraceful. Collectively it's just not good enough.

I agree.  We need 4 to 6 players.

Part of the multi-faceted approach should include going after young and hungry players in L1 who would jump at the opportunity.  These are the sorts of players we should be able to conclude a deal on quickly - there are games before the end of the month - these matter as much as any other.  

OK, they may not be the top championship strikers we had hoped for, but we need SOMETHING to give us a change of options.

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

And the player then says (after about three days) "go **** yerself!"   :cool:

And shove yer three stands yer billionaire and yer suspension bridge up yer ass. I would rather go anywhere, as ts now trendy to have told Bristol City to eff off.

Joking apart. You gotta think other players saying shove it has an effect....

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

And shove yer three stands yer billionaire and yer suspension bridge up yer ass. I would rather go anywhere, as ts now trendy to have told Bristol City to eff off.

Joking apart. You gotta think other players saying shove it has an effect....

To be fair it's not a bad list, this from BCFC supporters FB page......

Gayle, Gray, Bunn, Lingard,Konchesky,Guedioura, Maguire and Clough. All players that have rejected us.

Generally from what I've seen/be told Cotts will outline what he's looking for, recruitment analyst trawls through software like prozone recruiter and find potential targets which scouts then go watch and ones we then want to sign get passed onto Burt to negotiate. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

I agree.  We need 4 to 6 players.

Part of the multi-faceted approach should include going after young and hungry players in L1 who would jump at the opportunity.  These are the sorts of players we should be able to conclude a deal on quickly - there are games before the end of the month - these matter as much as any other.  

OK, they may not be the top championship strikers we had hoped for, but we need SOMETHING to give us a change of options.

Agreed. I applaud SC for not wanting to sign any old journeymen to bulk out the squad. We've had enough of those type in years gone by and seem to be getting away from that now. As you say though we do need something at least. I personally think we need 6 but there is no chance we will sign 6 players all better than what we have (to be honest I doubt we will even sign one at this rate). So there is no reason not to sign 1 or 2 from the lower leagues that would at the very least provide healthy competition.

SC has claimed he is getting all he can from this group. I don't think he is, but that's another argument altogether, however there is literally zero competition for places meaning some players are in a comfort zone.

We need proven quality up top & in midfield (which seems impossible at present) then the other areas can be addressed with young up and coming talent from L1 or L2.

If only it were that easy eh....?

16 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Agreed. I applaud SC for not wanting to sign any old journeymen to bulk out the squad. We've had enough of those type in years gone by and seem to be getting away from that now. As you say though we do need something at least. I personally think we need 6 but there is no chance we will sign 6 players all better than what we have (to be honest I doubt we will even sign one at this rate). So there is no reason not to sign 1 or 2 from the lower leagues that would at the very least provide healthy competition.

SC has claimed he is getting all he can from this group. I don't think he is, but that's another argument altogether, however there is literally zero competition for places meaning some players are in a comfort zone.

We need proven quality up top & in midfield (which seems impossible at present) then the other areas can be addressed with young up and coming talent from L1 or L2.

If only it were that easy eh....?

Get the L1 players in and, if the worst happens, we hit the ground running next year. 

I don't buy we have no alternatives to first 11

We have Agard, Burns, Reid, Wagstaff, El Abd plus the u 21s we took in pre season plus Fry and Morrell

Yes any of us can see we need more and better experienced but we did have Bennett, Cox, Moore and Robinson and misused them most of the time or in Bennett's case failed to sign extend loan or replace

Cotterill does spout rubbish and is getting worse

35 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Get the L1 players in and, if the worst happens, we hit the ground running next year. 

This has been my opinion for a while tbh, even as we entered January, sign players with drive and determination who have the potential ability to be good players, either they keep us up and we can start again in the summer or we are good to go and in a strong position.

40 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We have Agard, Burns, Reid, Wagstaff, El Abd plus the u 21s we took in pre season plus Fry and Morrell

Yes any of us can see we need more and better experienced but we did have Bennett, Cox, Moore and Robinson and misused them most of the time or in Bennett's case failed to sign extend loan or replace

I imagine Reid, Burns, and El Abd will give their best but they all know they have no future here. I feel sorry for El Abd as he was hoping to stay at Swindon but due to our small squad we have had to bring him back even though I doubt he will be played.

I think people are underestimating Cotterill's role in signing players.

He was quite clear when he came to the club that he would be in charge of first team footballing matters including identifying and signing players. That was his words at the Q & A back in 2014 when he was asked by a supporter. I recall him saying he knew Burt from Forest and would be happy to work with him.

If we are to take 'the little goat's' transfer info as red then we know that it was SC and Burt who went away and 'agreed' deals for Maguire and Gray. I would be amazed if those weren't SC targets - he would've known all about both players. So it follows that the lack of targets, and realistic targets at that, must also fall within the responsibility of SC.

What is clear is that the communication between SC/KB and the board who hold the pursestrings seems to be in a pretty bad place.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

You can't seriously think Morrell, Fry or the two 16 and 17 year olds who went to Portugal are actually ready for Championship football?

Realistically Williams, Agard, Burns and Reid are the only other options we have and in truth that is utterly pathetic.

We look like Yeovil Town when they played at this level and the owner, board, head of recruitment and manager should all be totally embarrassed by that situation.

Archived