IGNORED

Johnson needs to keep mouth Shut!

We live in hope

Lee Johnson has quoted this in the Bristol Post about Lee Tomlin

"At his best, he is a top player for the division. When not at his best, he makes everyone else work a little bit harder and that is the grey area for us. Is he the solution or is he then problem?"

Really LJ have you not learnt anything since your management journey started to ascended. Can you imagine Alex Fergusson or klopp saying such things!

Its undermining and means ultimately you don't know what you are doing at the helm! Players thrive on confidence and I have heard you undermine criticise your players far to much this season! Maybe you need to change your ways rather than the individuals of your team change theirs! Players thrive on confidence! I'm not even on the team and you make my blood boil! I pity a decent player having to work under you!

1 minute ago, We live in hope said:

"At his best, he is a top player for the division. When not at his best, he makes everyone else work a little bit harder and that is the grey area for us. Is he the solution or is he then problem?"

Can you imagine Alex Fergusson or klopp saying such things!

In a word; yes.

That's a pretty mild statement to lose your mind over, and a bizarre comparison to make; Klopp basically called Sturridge a sick note last season, while Ferguson rinsed one or two of his best players in their time.

Tomlin shouldn't need people fluffing his ego; on his day he is one of the best players on this division, and on his off-days he does force the team to take up the slack.

It is basically LJ being honest.

Plenty of reasons to be uneasy about LJ's stewardship; this isn't one for me.

5 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

Really LJ have you not learnt anything since your management journey started to ascended. Can you imagine Alex Fergusson or klopp saying such things!

Its undermining and means ultimately you don't know what you are doing at the helm! Players thrive on confidence and I have heard you undermine criticise your players far to much this season! Maybe you need to change your ways rather than the individuals of your team change theirs! Players thrive on confidence! I'm not even on the team and you make my blood boil! I pity a decent player having to work under you!

Anything to have a pop at LJ right?

Klopp? MIssed his slanging of Daniel Sturridge last season did you?

Stories go around about LT being dropped because of attitude, LT slaggng off LJ, LT going above LJ to the board; perhaps LJ is just diffusing that by explaining why LT may not be playing in spite of those stories which the party line is to deny. It seems like a justification and it is saying to LT at you're best you are the first name on my teamsheet. It is motivation not undermining.

Oh and before launching in to a tirade about a quote in the BEP perhaps ask Bailey Wright about how accurate they are at conveying quotes before playing full trust in those being the words without any context.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

You conveniently left out the bits where he explained his decisions and denied a rift between them. Doesn't suit your agenda?

He has given Tomlin a bit of a kick up the backside, some players respond better to that. 

TLDR; stop shit stirring.

Agree and I wouldn't mind betting it is view held by everybody whoever coached him at league level, but hey what do they know?, i'm sure the OP must no know better.

Just now, 29AR said:

Klopp? MIssed his slanging of Daniel Sturridge last season did you?

Stories go around about LT being dropped because of attitude, LT slaggng of LJ, LT going above LJ to the board; perhaps LJ is just diffusing that by explaining why LT may not be playing in spite of those stories which the party line is to deny. It seems like a justification and it is saying to LT at you're best you are the first name on my teamsheet. It is motivation not undermining.

Oh and before launching in to a tirade about a quote in the BEP perhaps ask Bailey Wright about how accurate they are at conveying quotes before playing full trust in those being the words without any context.

In fairness to the BEP there was plenty of context. The OP just decided to remove that himself.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristol-city-boss-lee-johnson-denies-there-is-a-rift-between-him-and-lee-tomlin/story-30071061-detail/story.html

6 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

What are you talking about...I think a lot of people have seen on the pitch what the manager is talking about. He is a luxury player and at times we can't afford that - he needs to raise his game - can we afford to have him in every game? No.

10 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

Have you ever heard Ferguson being interviewed ever?

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Agree and I wouldn't mind betting it is view held by everybody whoever coached him at league level, but hey what do they know?, i'm sure the OP must no know better.

Well the OP seems to be full of the same emotive language that Tomlin apparently uses, in what world would anyone tell THE MANAGER OF THEIR OWN FOOTBALL CLUB to"keep his mouth shut" ? 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

If not taken out of context  it is poor man management. Manage your players privately. Criticise privately.

Man management by itself implies that you manage an individual. Quite ironic then to have a "one size fits all" approach of critiquing privately then.

Whilst I don't see anything in this either, there is a lot of people following the same lines having a go at the originator.

I would hope you are not amongst the people that followed the popular line in the various threads where people were expressing concern over LJ saying far too much in post game radio interviews.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Whilst I don't see anything in this either, there is a lot of people following the same lines having a go at the originator.

I would hope you are not amongst the people that followed the popular line in the various threads where people were expressing concern over LJ saying far too much in post game radio interviews.

Some posts just need to be argued against. This is one of those. Bit like the 'Hope we Lose' one (although this is nowhere near that particular level!) 

12 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Man management by itself implies that you manage an individual. Quite ironic then to have a "one size fits all" approach of critiquing privately then.

Nothing ironic about it. A decision to not criticise individuals in public, any of them is professional management.

Mr Johnson behind closed doors can then point at his prozone/sportscode stats, marker board, pen and pad, dvds , drone… To convey his message on how he wants the player, his players to improve in a manner which best fits each individual.

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

It does but it doesn't mean it needs to be done in the public domain. Sorry but I don't get "the one size fits all" comment.

25 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

It's "I'm not even in the team" not "I'm not even on the team.  We play in England not the US.

Just now, Cowshed said:

Nothing ironic about it. A decision to not criticise individuals in public, any of them is professional management.

Mr Johnson behind closed doors can then point at his prozone/sportscode stats, Mark  board, pen and pad, dvds , drone… To convey his message on how he wants the player, his players to improve in a manner which best fits each individual.

Some people respond better to having a gentle arm around them in private, some respond better to a public rollicking.

Johnson has come to the conclusion that the best way with Tomlin is gentle criticism mixed with compliments in public.

I'd hazard a guess he is in a far better position than me or you to work out hoe LT might respond best.

Tomlin is a great player - but he needs options, if the only option is a lone striker (Tammy, being marked by 2 players) in front of him he has nothing to do with the ball, often we have 2 rather defensive minded CMs and a team that is slow to move up, so he has no options... hell he often has to come back to what you would consider a holding DM position to collect the ball because we sit so damned deep a lot of the time.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Some people respond better to having a gentle arm around them in private, some respond better to a public rollicking.

Johnson has come to the conclusion that the best way with Tomlin is gentle criticism mixed with compliments in public.

I'd hazard a guess he is in a far better position than me or you to work out hoe LT might respond best.

Due to the nature of employment I think I may be able to ... My job means I need to understand linear- non linear learning and communication. And much more.

Criticising in public is failure. It also makes people look unskilled.

9 minutes ago, Malago said:

It's "I'm not even in the team" not "I'm not even on the team.  We play in England not the US.

Thank you every day is a school day! I suggest those who have time go over LJ's interviews and its quite clear that he is ready to blame the players. That is poor man management and it is also called deflection!!

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Due to the nature of employment I think I may be able to ... My job means I need to understand linear- non linear learning and communication. And much more.

Criticising in public is failure. It also makes people look unskilled.

Ah yes, because football is just like every other job.

Johnson explicitly stated how skilled Tomlin is, so that is a non point.

2 minutes ago, Im_over_ere said:

IMHO, whatever approach LJ takes to voice his opinion, then in fairness to Tomlin, he should also be allowed a piece with BEP to make comment. 

Since when has being employed and handsomely paid ever been any kind of democracy?, Tomlin could always adopt the Payet approach I suppose.

Archived