IGNORED

We only need one player for it all to work

mookey

Before you all say Messi and Ronaldo etc ...as predicted.. The missing link is a ...Winger

we need a player with real pace who can cross the ball.  Every independent commentary says the same, we have no width, we are too narrow and pedestrian. A quality winger is the key to our expensively assembled squad. 

A Murray, Adomah (not the current version) Walsh (for you older ones) and definitely not junior bent

a winger who will provide the out ball and stretch defences

We have plenty of good defenders midfielders and forwards 

so if we get in one more player before the deadline this is the one, a WINGER please to excite us all and spread the play

27 minutes ago, mookey said:

Before you all say Messi and Ronaldo etc ...as predicted.. The missing link is a ...Winger

we need a player with real pace who can cross the ball.  Every independent commentary says the same, we have no width, we are too narrow and pedestrian. A quality winger is the key to our expensively assembled squad. 

A Murray, Adomah (not the current version) Walsh (for you older ones) and definitely not junior bent

so if we get in one more player before the deadline this is the one, a WINGER please to excite us all and spread the play

but what pace sadly a short man's  Bas Savage.

It's defensively where City struggle. Too many errors and poor positioning. It happens far too frequently.

I know Flint is well rated by some on here and a strong character in the dressing room but maybe he needs to be rested or replaced.

Bailey Wright and Hodur are decent CBs with Golbourne at LB with probably Vyner at RB.

Hegeler and GoN when fit or Pack as defensive midfielders.

I doubt LJ will leave Flint out tho.

2 hours ago, mookey said:

Totally agree, I've been saying it since the start of the season. Unfortunately LJ's philosophy seems to be that we have no need to use the 20 yards of space by either touchline. It seems he won't change, that's why he will lose his job.

31 minutes ago, mookey said:

To say it's in defence we have the problem is to look at the symptoms of the problem not the cause. Teams like Reading just camped in our half as we have no out ball  Any defence will concede if constantly put under pressure 

To be fair we've scored more than a third of the top 6. 

Season after season after season we just cannot keep the goals out despite changes of system, managers and playing staff.

32 minutes ago, mookey said:

To say it's in defence we have the problem is to look at the symptoms of the problem not the cause. Teams like Reading just camped in our half as we have no out ball  Any defence will concede if constantly put under pressure 

Exactly, but some, like the poster above only see what they see, when our central players pick up the ball they haven't got an out ball. So the opposition can just concentrate on pressing centrally for 90 minutes. 

We are predictable to the extreme, we must be a dream to play against. 

Its not the players its the bloody tactics thats wrong! We defend too deep which just invites pressure. How many games have we lost points by defending a lead too deep when we should be seeing games out in the opponents half. Its nor really rocket science. You score when you are attacking and you concede when you are defending. Not 100% the case I know but you wont score if you are ALL defending. The players are good enough, the system is not!!

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Exactly, but some, like the poster above only see what they see, when our central players pick up the ball they haven't got an out ball. So the opposition can just concentrate on pressing centrally for 90 minutes. 

We are predictable to the extreme, we must be a dream to play against. 

Do you see things other than what you see?! 

FWIW I see both sides of the argument. We haven't had a proper defensive midfielder to offer protection to the back four in Christ knows how long. 

And I also agree on lack of pace and movement in the final third hindering our potency.

However you can't argue with the fact that  we have scored more than enough goals to have won a great number of games, we simply can't keep the ball out of the net.

We are right up at the top of the championship in terms of chance creation so harsh to suggest that we're just not good enough offensively.

We've made SO many basic defensive errors to gift teams easy goals. And we've also squandered a lot of good opportunities to put games to bed when we've been heavily on the front foot, then get punished for not doing so (PNE at home for instance). 

So everyone needs to take responsibility for the predicament. I do believe there is enough quality in the squad to be doing considerably better than we are so it's hard to look beyond management/tactical instruction at this point. 

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

Its not the players its the bloody tactics thats wrong! We defend too deep which just invites pressure. How many games have we lost points by defending a lead too deep when we should be seeing games out in the opponents half. Its nor really rocket science. You score when you are attacking and you concede when you are defending. Not 100% the case I know but you wont score if you are ALL defending. The players are good enough, the system is not!!

You're  right, I recon a decent manger would be able to drill these players properly

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Do you see things other than what you see?! 

FWIW I see both sides of the argument. We haven't had a proper defensive midfielder to offer protection to the back four in Christ knows how long. 

And I also agree on lack of pace and movement in the final third hindering our potency.

However you can't argue with the fact that  we have scored more than enough goals to have won a great number of games, we simply can't keep the ball out of the net.

We are right up at the top of the championship in terms of chance creation so harsh to suggest that we're just not good enough offensively.

We've made SO many basic defensive errors to gift teams easy goals. And we've also squandered a lot of good opportunities to put games to bed when we've been heavily on the front foot, then get punished for not doing so (PNE at home for instance). 

So everyone needs to take responsibility for the predicament. I do believe there is enough quality in the squad to be doing considerably better than we are so it's hard to look beyond management/tactical instruction at this point. 

I'm talking about people who only see things within 5 yards of where the ball is at that time.

Re the squad, we clearly 'should' have enough quality in the squad with the amount of millions spent on it, but the signings are to fit into LJ's philosophy of playing. That philosophy is clearly not something that troubles other teams in this division though. Everyone (except one person) knows that width does work in this division, LJ is clearly not able to see it or is to stubborn to change. He will lose his job because of this.

2 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

And its a fair point we didn't have a full squad when he took over...

A lot of people seem to be missing that point. Yes he's bought in a lot of numbers but we could barely name a bench beforehand.

The squad is only now up to average numbers. A little imbalanced in places but you can't do all your business in such short windows when everyone else is competing for players.

The loan rules have also basically mandated clubs keep much larger squads. 

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I'm talking about people who only see things within 5 yards of where the ball is at that time.

Re the squad, we clearly 'should' have enough quality in the squad with the amount of millions spent on it, but the signings are to fit into LJ's philosophy of playing. That philosophy is clearly not something that troubles other teams in this division though. Everyone (except one person) knows that width does work in this division, LJ is clearly not able to see it or is to stubborn to change. He will lose his job because of this.

It's starting to look inevitable isn't it? I admire a manager who is able to stand by his convictions in the gave of criticism but what we're doing at present clearly isn't working. 

I actually think it's a combination of the things mentioned:

The manager: Lee is making the same mistake that got Cotterill fired, refusing to adapt his tactics. Cotterill wouldn't give up the 5-3-2 and Johnson won't give up the narrow, deep sitting game. 

The players: I don't think many of our players want to play for the team, Cotterill got them at least playing for each other but now the players look like they only care about themselves which leads me to think the rumours of unhappy players may be true and that many of them  are already looking for ways out. 

The defence: Whilst we have some good defenders our full backs are nowhere near good enough for this league and with us sitting so deeply it's just showing more and more. This leads us back to Lee as the defence could do a lot better if we didn't sit so deep, less pressure on the defence would  allow them to play freely but right now they're playing scared. 

The annoying thing is we do have a squad that could put out a solid team and get us wins but LJ is either blind to the problems or just cannot come up with a formation that deals with them. For the first time I can honestly say I want to see LJ go as another manager would be a fresh start and we have the players to turn this around, they just need to believe it. 

I can't see us surviving relegation right now with LJ and all my hopes of Tammy going back to Chelsea having enjoyed his time here are all but gone despite his great goalscoring record because of the mess we've gotten into. It can't be good for us to have such a great talent on loan and scoring consistently only for us to slip from the top half to relegation so quickly, certainly can't see him recommending us to his Chelsea colleagues. 

The depressing thing is we have seen some good flashes of the sort of football we wanted to see.

PNE at home....I can't remember seeing a City side play as well as we did up until they scored. 

Then after the goal literally EVERYTHING we did changed. Is that down to he manager? Did he instruct them 'if you concede, stop playing awesome football and lump it long all game' ? I doubt it. 

Are we into it being a huge psychological issue now? It's no secret the degree to which psychology affects sports - Leicester being the most obvious recent example. 

Bloody depressing though. I can see it turning very sour very fast on Tuesday if we go behind early. 

Archived