IGNORED

Steve Phillips interview with BBC (Merged)

Robbored

Talking about the stick he got when he went from City to Rovers. He had his car windscreen smashed, verbal abuse and someone punched him from behind when in the gym. He also had death threats over the phone. Even now he doesn't go into Bristol for a pint.

Says Matty Taylor may well get the same response.

Phillips's local accent reminded of someone - then I recognised it - NTTDS...

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Talking about the stick he got when he went from City to Rovers. He had his car windscreen smashed, verbal abuse and someone punched him from behind when in the gym. He also had death threats over the phone. Even now he doesn't go into Bristol for a pint.

I seem to remember you were on his back and very personal all the time he played for us. Why I wonder. It's very easy to hide behind a laptop. Give the bloke a break and get on with your bowls.

7 minutes ago, Lucan said:

I have always felt he gets a very rough deal on here does Phillips

Phillips was very good for the level we were at at the time. The problem we had during his time as number 1, was that we had nobody else to challenge him.

Then along comes Basso, and rightly so, overtakes Mr Phillips as number 1. This didn't go down too well, possibly because he had been "untouchable" for so long. Steve never wanted to stay as number 2, which is fair enough, because on ability alone, he was never going to be able to get ahead of Basso again.

If I remember rightly, the story that was put around at the time, was that he "threw his toys out of the pram". That I think, rubbed people up the wrong way. Not that I condone stuff that he says happened of course.

I personally like(d) him, and remember him quite fondly for saving that penalty against the blue few, and effectively sending them down :clapping:

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Flapper phillips?? Served us well and gave us best years of his career , you really should give him more respect, especially as he played for both your favourite teams!!

I've been out on the lash in town and bumped into Phillips after he's left us so it's not strictly true he won't go into town, I've seen him in John Anthony too. I gave him a bit of banter when we were both drinking and he was fine with it to be fair and we ended up chatting for 5 minutes or so after.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Phillips was very good for the level we were at at the time. The problem we had during his time as number 1, was that we had nobody else to challenge him.

Then along comes Basso, and rightly so, overtakes Mr Phillips as number 1. This didn't go down too well, possibly because he had been "untouchable" for so long. Steve never wanted to stay as number 2, which is fair enough, because on ability alone, he was never going to be able to get ahead of Basso again.

If I remember rightly, the story that was put around at the time, was that he "threw his toys out of the pram". That I think, rubbed people up the wrong way. Not that I condone stuff that he says happened of course.

I personally like(d) him, and remember him quite fondly for saving that penalty against the blue few, and effectively sending them down :clapping:

Senior Johnson dropped Phillips and brought in Basso. I spoke with Phillips at the time and he was very angry with Johnson saying " Basso doesn't even speak English" 

The real reason was that Phillips was a whinger about pretty much everything and Senior saw him as a negative influence around the squad and bombed him out.

One  of his infamous "hand grenades".........:facepalm:

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Flapper phillips?? Served us well and gave us best years of his career , you really should give him more respect, especially as he played for both your favourite teams!!

He didn't play for Arsenal.....

Phillips was error prone and indecisive especially with crosses - that's how he got his nickname ( I didn't invent it )

A good shot stopper tho.

I'm a bit confused here, why is the comparison being made between him and Matt Taylor. Yes obviously they both went from one side to the other, but in Taylor's case the Gas are bitter as they lost a player they adored to a bigger neighbour. What exactly did he think we were meant to be upset about? 

I thought he was a decent keeper for us at the time but he behaved like a spoilt brat when he was challenged for the jersey by Basso. 

Compare that to recent times when Frankie/ O'Donnell/ Lucic/Giefer/O'Leary seem to genuinely battle but also support whoever has been given the shirt. 

1 hour ago, Ohbasso said:

I've been out on the lash in town and bumped into Phillips after he's left us so it's not strictly true he won't go into town, I've seen him in John Anthony too. I gave him a bit of banter when we were both drinking and he was fine with it to be fair and we ended up chatting for 5 minutes or so after.

Quite. Bloke is an absolute bullshitter. One of the biggest piss heads around in the DW days. Tuesday nights in Reflex.

I don't actually recall there being much resentment when he left - why would there have been? 

It all just sounds a bit unbelievable what he said on the news tonight...

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite. Bloke is an absolute bullshitter. One of the biggest piss heads around in the DW days. Tuesday nights in Reflex.

I don't actually recall there being much resentment when he left - why would there have been? 

It all just sounds a bit unbelievable what he said on the news tonight...

Talking like he can't go out in town, seriously what planet is he on? No one gives a shit mate. The only person that still gives two shits about Steve Phillips is Steve Phillips! 

38 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm a bit confused here, why is the comparison being made between him and Matt Taylor. Yes obviously they both went from one side to the other, but in Taylor's case the Gas are bitter as they lost a player they adored to a bigger neighbour. What exactly did he think we were meant to be upset about? 

Phillips took a downgrade when he threw his toys out the pram when he was no longer a guaranteed starter. 

Taylor is their best player and first name on the team sheet and moving up the divisions in the prime of his career.

Only Steve 'look at me' Phillips could think there's even a modicum of similarity in the situations. 

20 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Well apparently the bloke who punched him and put a brick through his window was angry about something! 

Perhaps he tried to register the s7oppa number plate with the DVLA, realised it was registered to Phillips, and tried to persuade Stevie to sell it to him?

At least if he didn't have a car he wouldn't need the plate :whistle:

Pretty good keeper to be fair. I thought the flapper tag was a little unfair. He was about as good as you could get at our level and won gk of the year for the division a couple of times if I remember rightly.

A right bell end off the pitch. Big headed whinger while playing football and cricket. I remember stowell along with half the squad mocking the guy when out on the town..not that well liked by a lot of his team mates.

To sum up a bell end but a better keeper than often given credit for

3 hours ago, cynic said:

One of the clique at the time.

Barrack room lawyer.

Gobby.

And I didn't like the gobfull he gave to Tinnion at Swansea as he left the pitch.

Legend in his own head.

Think Tins will give you a different version of this alleged story. He was most supportive of Tins and they still keep in touch now.

Archived