IGNORED

Engvall - he aint gena last

Londoner

With lj saying he turned down the change to sign for l1 sides on loan....why wouldnt he want to? Adapt to the lesgue first team football. 

Surely on the basis of this he was holding out for a sweden move which looks imminent.

Odd but maybe he just wasnt ready for amove to england after all

:grr:

Another pointless thread about a youngster who wasn't a finished article in the first place. He was bought, along with the other youngsters, with the thought they would get better and feature more as times goes on. They are all on basically 4 year deals(3+1) and some are writing them off already. Not all of them will turn out astute signings but give them time. 

Also, I don't think he'll go until we know more about Tammy. I just don't get the point of these threads. We've talked about this probably 4-5 times in 4-5 different threads about 4-5 different players.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He was £1.4m; that is not what we should paying for somebody who isn't the finsihed article and isn't expected to play in his first season.

We were mugged by agents.  Again.

Why shouldn't we pay that for potential? Kodjia was a similar gamble(granted he was a POY for a league). You won't see many arguing the same price for O'Dowda or Moore. What's the difference? 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

:grr:

Another pointless thread about a youngster who wasn't a finished article in the first place. He was bought, along with the other youngsters, with the thought they would get better and feature more as times goes on. They are all on basically 4 year deals(3+1) and some are writing them off already. Not all of them will turn out astute signings but give them time. 

Also, I don't think he'll go until we know more about Tammy. I just don't get the point of these threads. We've talked about this probably 4-5 times in 4-5 different threads about 4-5 different players.

Its not pointless, lj has confirmed that Engvall REJECTED the chance to go league 1.....sorry but that isnt good enough, great opporyunity for first team football in this country.

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He was £1.4m; that is not what we should paying for somebody who isn't the finsihed article and isn't expected to play in his first season.

I beg to differ if we sold him tomorrow we would recover most , If not all , of the transfer fee .

Young international strikers go for this sort of money very easily .

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Its not pointless, lj has confirmed that Engvall REJECTED the chance to go league 1.....sorry but that isnt good enough, great opporyunity for first team football in this country.

What if it was them up the road though as part of the Taylor deal? Just guessing BTW.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

If you're destined to go out on loan where would you go? Walsall or your home country where you can spend some time with your family? I get the league experience argument but he hasn't looked uncomfortable in English football. I would think it's more important for him to be happy and playing games. Wherever he can do both will help his career. 

1 minute ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I have no doubt we'll let him go and he'll immediately start ripping up trees wherever he next pitches up. 

This is probably the most likely scenario. Seems every player that leaves tears it up but think it just seems that way. Haven't heard rave reviews about Williams at Blackburn. JET seems to have stalled even for his standards. I'm sure Wagstaff is working hard for his team but probably not tearing it up as they've been struggling I think. Think for every success there are 2-3 average to below average ones for someone else. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Why shouldn't we pay that for potential? Kodjia was a similar gamble(granted he was a POY for a league). You won't see many arguing the same price for O'Dowda or Moore. What's the difference? 

The POY award and being France league 2's top scorer makes the difference.  The comparison should be with Garita for whom we took a £50k punt.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I beg to differ if we sold him tomorrow we would recover most , If not all , of the transfer fee .

Young international strikers go for this sort of money very easily .

Do you want him buy him Major? :P

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

If you're destined to go out on loan where would you go? Walsall or your home country where you can spend some time with your family? I get the league experience argument but he hasn't looked uncomfortable in English football. I would think it's more important for him to be happy and playing games. Wherever he can do both will help his career. 

I disagree, he should be looking to play over here in the lower leagues and build up some confidence playing in the English game, understand the family aspect but now is not the time for that. He needs to knuckle down and get himself up to the speed of the English game, not going back to home comforts.

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The POY award and being France league 2's top scorer makes the difference.  The comparison should be with Garita for whom we took a £50k punt.

Exactly Garita is a punt and may come good. Engval was a first team signing as @Engvall's Splinterwill testify

Ludicrously poor return whether the boy is just no good or he doesn't like it here. 

He may come good but I agree with the lad a season in L1 was not what he signed up for. 

Still we got Teddy Taylor at a fraction of the cost, prey he can grab something on Wednesday. 

He wants to play for Sweden U21's so he needs games.

There were some very last minute loan offers from league one teams, but he didn't fancy the move because clearly if he gets a loan to Sweden he will be more 'in the shop window' for the Sweden selectors. Eitherway, with Tammy out he is still here as part of the squad.

LJ has said that he has some top class attributes, but still needs experience and development - but  he is still rated as a key future player. 

We hung onto him in January because we were bare upfront if Tammy got injured. Now Matty and Milan are here the loan option was on the table and will likely happen when Tammy gets back. Hopefully Tammy will only miss the next 3 games, but Chelsea will look to stop us rushing him back, so it may be more.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I agree... Arnie was a £50k punt and is not the finished article. He has plied his trade in the lower echelons of English football and will prob be a better player for it. Not saying he will come back and play for us but if we lose out, £50k does not seem bad. We could even make that back on him. If Engvall cannot cut the mustard 1.4M is a huge loss.

8 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

I agree... Arnie was a £50k punt and is not the finished article. He has plied his trade in the lower echelons of English football and will prob be a better player for it. Not saying he will come back and play for us but if we lose out, £50k does not seem bad. We could even make that back on him. If Engvall cannot cut the mustard 1.4M is a huge loss.

I know a couple of Plymouth season ticket holders who were very impressed by Garita, big strong forward who was exactly what they needed.  He's picked up some injuries so has been in and out of the side.

Certainly Plymouth woudl pay £50k for him and, if he gets a decent run next season, he may see the same improvement as Bobby Reid and then start playing for us.  Too early to say tbh but certainly worth the £50k we paid.

I may be misremembering this but I think they were also saying that he was an Albert Adomah type character - very funny and popular.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes I concede the point the Kodjia but why shouldn't we pay for potential? Clearly the club felt he was a worthy investment of the money. Some come off and some don't. Still too early to tell on Engvall. The market dictates prices we just have to accept it. I think many on here get carried away with the prices paid and don't spent enough time judging the player on what we see and hear. 

1 hour ago, The_Don said:

I disagree, he should be looking to play over here in the lower leagues and build up some confidence playing in the English game, understand the family aspect but now is not the time for that. He needs to knuckle down and get himself up to the speed of the English game, not going back to home comforts.

I think the English game thing is overstated especially with attackers. We see strikers, attacking mids and attacking wingers come into this league and do well year after year. Gustav has looked comfortable in his 3 appearances against 3 different levels of teams. If he was a defender or midfielder I'd agree but I don't think the league is uncomfortable for him. His new surrounding might though. Why not take a break from it and go home and play for a few months then come back fresh in the summer and push on? 

Whether or not you feel the Engvall subject has been done to death, but really, does today's article quoting LJ do him or the club any favours?

It's so downbeat, it's almost like our media department has given up trying to put spin on things where the manager isn't bothering any longer.

It sounds like Johnson could be talking about a dormant eBay auction - there doesn't seem to be a single attempt to talk up the player himself.

How about, with Tammy out, I've challenged the player to seize this opportunity with both hands, and I really think he can. He's got lots to offer.

But no - just a discussion on the various ways that LJ might already or might in future dispense with a player he has never looked like playing.

LJ just doesn't rate him and given an opportunity today, has made zero attempt to talk up the player, or place any real value on him being here.

And I don't buy that we expected to palm him off to L1 as a development player. He cost a lot of money, had played for Sweden and in Europe.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Isn't this what Ashton is for,to protect the club from this sort of thing occuring??..He has to be the person responsible,it's a ridiculous and embarrassing situation-very surprising with his CV to be caught with 'ees trooser's at half mast.

It sure gets me thinking.

Just putting Engvall's ability or future aside for a second - If he doesn't 'make it' and we sell him at a loss, well, it won't be huge and that's football. We certainly aren't the first team to sign a player that doesn't work out. I don't know why people make such a big deal about it?

I actually think we will make more and more signings of young or fairly unproven players around this price bracket. Some will work out, Kodjia, some may not, Engvall. It comes with the territory.

And I mentioned Kodjia for a reason, because we are still 'in credit' overall following his deal. 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Just putting Engvall's ability or future aside for a second - If he doesn't 'make it' and we sell him at a loss, well, it won't be huge and that's football. We certainly aren't the first team to sign a player that doesn't work out. I don't know why people make such a big deal about it?

I actually think we will make more and more signings of young or fairly unproven players around this price bracket. Some will work out, Kodjia, some may not, Engvall. It comes with the territory.

And I mentioned Kodjia for a reason, because we are still 'in credit' overall following his deal. 

there was a lad at Sutton that Middlesbrough once paid £1.4m for, they made a huge loss on him and that was with the market less inflated than it is now.

Engvall is a striker, with international experience and a young player, three things that inflate the cost hugely. As you say, if the worst happened we could recoup most of the money spent on him, if things go well, we can make a fortune.

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

there was a lad at Sutton that Middlesbrough once paid £1.4m for, they made a huge loss on him and that was with the market less inflated than it is now.

Engvall is a striker, with international experience and a young player, three things that inflate the cost hugely. As you say, if the worst happened we could recoup most of the money spent on him, if things go well, we can make a fortune.

Exactly but we get the same BS from posters on here about how he isn't rated. Is Taylor Moore not rated because he played a similar amount of games with a similar amount of appearances on the bench with similar depth in front of him? No we don't see anyone questioning that and they cost the same. Must be because he's foreign because I can't for the life of me see how Engvall is a failure and a waste yet Taylor Moore is the future. They're both similar gambles of young talent we hope to nurture into players worth 4-5 times the amount we paid for them. 

34 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He played 100 games for middlesbrough poor example.

Archived