IGNORED

The good, the bad and the questionable

Dr Balls

So here's the admission that I didn't get to go to Newcastle yesterday. However I have seen the highlights and read the stuff on here, so I am hoping to draw together some pros and cons from yesterday's game.

Pros:

We picked up an away point at the League leaders.

We scored 2 goals away at the League leaders.

We played four former Academy players in the starting line-up. That must be a first for us in the league.

The experienced players at this level (Wilbraham, GO'N & Cotterill) had a huge effect on the game.

Korey Smith returned. Hopefully it's the fully functioning version of previous seasons, rather than the one of earlier this.

We are still not in the relegation zone, as other results also went our way.

We took over 2500 fans to our furthest away game of the season.

Cons:

We lost another 2 goal lead.

We can't keep a clean sheet.

We have still only managed 6 points from our last 6 games, following 0 from 8 preceding that, so that's a total 13 points out of possible 66 since the beginning of October.

We have only picked up 2 points from 3 away matches to Derby, Leeds and Newcastle, despite scoring 6 goals.

Questionable:

We remain in 21st place, behind among others Burton Albion.

We still don't seem to know our best formation or team selection.

Supporters still seem somewhat divided over the position of LJ, with the majority still very unconvinced that he can keep us up, or even if he does whether he's the right man for next season.

The result against Newcastle will be for nothing if we lose on Tuesday against Villa. We likely need at least 4 points from the next 2 games.

Please feel free to disagree or agree on any of the above. And if you want to add any more "pros", "cons" or "questionables" of your own, please do. 

Pro:

stuck to one formation for 90 mins

brave enough to drop own signings

con: 

made a substitution while defending a corner... "they" say never do this...  equalising goal conceded from this corner

questionable:

Will we stick to this starting line up/formation? 

If we do.... will it work at home? 

21 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

So here's the admission that I didn't get to go to Newcastle yesterday. However I have seen the highlights and read the stuff on here, so I am hoping to draw together some pros and cons from yesterday's game.

Pros:

We played four former Academy players in the starting line-up. That must be a first for us in the league.

The experienced players at this level (Wilbraham, GO'N & Cotterill) had a huge effect on the game.

Korey Smith returned. Hopefully it's the fully functioning version of previous seasons, rather than the one of earlier this.

Cons:

We have still only managed 6 points from our last 6 games, following 0 from 8 preceding that, so that's a total 13 points out of possible 66 since the beginning of October.

We have only picked up 2 points from 3 away matches to Derby, Leeds and Newcastle, despite scoring 6 goals.

Questionable:

Supporters still seem somewhat divided over the position of LJ, with the majority still very unconvinced that he can keep us up, or even if he does whether he's the right man for next season.

The result against Newcastle will be for nothing if we lose on Tuesday against Villa. We likely need at least 4 points from the next 2 games.

Please feel free to disagree or agree on any of the above. And if you want to add any more "pros", "cons" or "questionables" of your own, please do. 

So is your post about the pros and cons of the Newcastle game or is it another post about form (which frankly has been done to death and you've brought absolutely nothing new to the table)?

What's questionable about being 21st? It's a fact

We still doesn't know our best formation... but your wrong, OTIB commentards do know the best formation etc., it's supposedly LJ who doesn't?

Supporters still seem somewhat divided ... erm, I think this is called stating the obvious.

The result against Newcastle will be for nothing... If City lose against Villa, it will be a disappointment but it takes nothing away from the draw at Newcastle (a top 2 team). And why the 4 point limit?

Come on, let's face it, this is another LJ post isn't it? - a polished turd trying to masquerade as something else

6 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

So is your post about the pros and cons of the Newcastle game or is it another post about form (which frankly has been done to death and you've brought absolutely nothing new to the table)?

We still doesn't know our best formation... but your wrong, OTIB commentards do know the best formation etc., it's supposedly LJ who doesn't?

Supporters still seem somewhat divided ... erm, I think this is called stating the obvious.

The result against Newcastle will be for nothing... If City lose against Villa, it will be a disappointment but it takes nothing away from the draw at Newcastle (a top 2 team). And why the 4 point limit?

Come on, let's face it, this is another LJ post isn't it? - a polished turd trying to masquerade as something else

Chill out mate

6 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

Did I say LJ out? No I did not.

Was I trying to be even handed? Yes.

Are you the one with the agenda? Well the record of your posting, especially where I am concerned would certainly seem so. 

Just as there are some who were not willing to even give LJ a chance from the time he was appointed, there are slso some on here who are so committed (blind?) in their support of LJ that they will see offence where none actually exists (none so blind?). You are in that category.

If we lose to Villa & Burton, then there is the possibility that we will be in the bottom 3 despite the point on Saturday. Or are you so "in the know" that not picking up points against Villa & Burton is just fine and all part of the "grand plan"? 

I notice that you didn't argue about our pitiful record since the beginning of October or in regard to our current form of the last 6 games. But I guess being a "fink" rather than a "thinker", you are happy with that, even if it suggests a point total of just 46 points by the end of the season. And if that's not enough to stay in this division, will you still be happy?

7 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

Dear oh dear

Just ignore the pros he listed

Talk about twisted and set in mind

ha ha 

7 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

fail-gif3.gif 

Scoring six goals away at Derby, Leeds and Newcastle is good, a "Pro." That we did this for more than one and a half of those games without our top scorer is impressive.

Picking up 2 points from a tough run of away fixtures (Derby, Leeds, Newcastle, Villa) is 2 more than I thought we  would gain, so that is good too.

The gutsy performance Saturday is a "pro" but we need to see that, and not the passive performance v Fulham, consistently, not occasionally, to have a chance of staying up.

But scoring 6 goals in 3 games and only collecting 2 points is not good enough, a "con." Our defence is poor.

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Did I say LJ out? No I did not.

Was I trying to be even handed? Yes.

Are you the one with the agenda? Well the record of your posting, especially where I am concerned would certainly seem so. 

Just as there are some who were not willing to even give LJ a chance from the time he was appointed, there are slso some on here who are so committed (blind?) in their support of LJ that they will see offence where none actually exists (none so blind?). You are in that category.

If we lose to Villa & Burton, then there is the possibility that we will be in the bottom 3 despite the point on Saturday. Or are you so "in the know" that not picking up points against Villa & Burton is just fine and all part of the "grand plan"? 

I notice that you didn't argue about our pitiful record since the beginning of October or in regard to our current form of the last 6 games. But I guess being a "fink" rather than a "thinker", you are happy with that, even if it suggests a point total of just 46 points by the end of the season. And if that's not enough to stay in this division, will you still be happy?

The lady doth protest too much - I said 'another LJ post', you decided that this meant 'LJ out' - go figure.

Argue? The LJ posts has been done ad nauseam and you didn't bring a single new 'factoid' to the table - go figure.

That you decided to attack the person (a tactic used by people whose arguments are flimsy) - go figure.

Agenda? I attacked your post, not you. That you think I'm picking on you personally - go figure.

4 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

The lady doth protest too much - I said 'another LJ post', you decided that this meant 'LJ out' - go figure.

Argue? The LJ posts has been done ad nauseam and you didn't bring a single new 'factoid' to the table - go figure.

That you decided to attack the person (a tactic used by people whose arguments are flimsy) - go figure.

Agenda? I attacked your post, not you. That you think I'm picking on you personally - go figure.

:handbags:

:yes:

:punish:

tfj

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Dear oh dear

Just ignore the pros he listed

Talk about twisted and set in mind

ha ha 

BobBobSuperBob did you not read Dr Balls post?

I really don't see why I should have to do this, but let's review.

Dr Balls said "I am hoping to draw together some pros and cons from yesterday's game."

All his pros were about the game, he kept things on track. He then lists two 'cons' that related to the 'game' and then starts listing form e.g. going back to October - please do tell how this is a 'con' for 'yesterdays game'. I then start picking his whole sham article to pieces as a consequence. DRB clearly doesn't like it and nor do you.

Ha Ha indeed.

As to Ultra boys post, nice gif. Thanks for sharing?

47 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

If you don't want to actually discuss stuff why bother coming on the forum?

It wasn't an "LJ post" but I guess when you have a position to defend you will see any discussion as being about him.

33 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

All his pros were about the game, he kept things on track. He then lists two 'cons' that related to the 'game' and then starts listing form e.g. going back to October - please do tell how this is a 'con' for 'yesterdays game'. I then start picking his whole sham article to pieces as a consequence. DRB clearly doesn't like it and nor do you.

Sham article? Not at all, just trying to produce something measured and looking at both sides, rather than rushing to conclusions. 

Not seeing Saturday's game in the wider context of our form, and  that it was still only 1 point gained,  despite the "pros"  would be pretty narrow-minded, I would suggest. Because that's all it got us in the "points for" column in the League table.

In the meantime, the questions about how and why we have ended up in a relegation battle remain. It's not all bad, there is some hope, but the reality is that it will end in tears if we go down. If you want to spin that into an anti-LJ comment that's your issue, not mine.

Fortunately one or two others have added some more relevant posts.

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Scoring six goals away at Derby, Leeds and Newcastle is good, a "Pro." That we did this for more than one and a half of those games without our top scorer is impressive.

Picking up 2 points from a tough run of away fixtures (Derby, Leeds, Newcastle, Villa) is 2 more than I thought we  would gain, so that is good too.

The gutsy performance Saturday is a "pro" but we need to see that, and not the passive performance v Fulham, consistently, not occasionally, to have a chance of staying up.

But scoring 6 goals in 3 games and only collecting 2 points is not good enough, a "con." Our defence is poor.

Disagree with Jack Dawe as well? Or is that another dig at LJ?

Do you have any "cons" from Saturday or is it all "pros" with you?

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

If you don't want to actually discuss stuff why bother coming on the forum?

It wasn't an "LJ post" but I guess when you have a position to defend you will see any discussion as being about him.

Sham article? Not at all, just trying to produce something measured and looking at both sides, rather than rushing to conclusions. 

Not seeing Saturday's game in the wider context of our form, and  that it was still only 1 point gained,  despite the "pros"  would be pretty narrow-minded, I would suggest. Because that's all it got us in the "points for" column in the League table.

In the meantime, the questions about how and why we have ended up in a relegation battle remain. It's not all bad, there is some hope, but the reality is that it will end in tears if we go down. If you want to spin that into an anti-LJ comment that's your issue, not mine.

Fortunately one or two others have added some more relevant posts.

Disagree with Jack Dawe as well? Or is that another dig at LJ?

Do you have any "cons" from Saturday or is it all "pros" with you?

Your post:
The pros and cons of the game - 7 pros, 2 cons (these are your own words, the other two cons are about form and not the game - it's been done numerous times). So it should have been a positive post, are you keeping up?
You list something as questionable when it is a stone cold fact - we are in 21st place and Burton are above us, just what is questionable about that?

You additional points (nothing to do with the Newcastle game):
Tactics/formation - did you miss the previous posts on this subject? As to the tactics/formations, why did you not critique the formation/tactics for the game instead of just making a sweeping statement?
Form - did you miss those posts as well? If you want to bring something new to the table, why are you not comparing the past 6 games to the 8 before and pointing out that this is a positive thing?
You think there is some disagreement about LJ on OTIB - errr, yep I'd agree with that one, but it a tad obvious, and yes, people disagree. It remains to be seen who can claim bragging rights on this one.
For some inane reason, you seek to paint the Newcastle game as inconsequential should the result against Villa be disappointing. Just why?

Just what was the point of your post other than to paint a negative picture of a good result?

15 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Pro:

stuck to one formation for 90 mins

brave enough to drop own signings

con: 

made a substitution while defending a corner... "they" say never do this...  equalising goal conceded from this corner

questionable:

Will we stick to this starting line up/formation? 

If we do.... will it work at home? 

Yes with the corner thing. I was mad and screaming don't sub at a corner I simply couldn't believe it. We had defended about ten up to that point. They score of course with a weak header. 

36 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes with the corner thing. I was mad and screaming don't sub at a corner I simply couldn't believe it. We had defended about ten up to that point. They score of course with a weak header. 

Glad I wasn't the only one to spot it. 

Its just the disruptive element of changing things in a defensive situation.... especially when, as you say, we'd been coping well with the corners. 

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

Your post:
The pros and cons of the game - 7 pros, 2 cons (these are your own words, the other two cons are about form and not the game - it's been done numerous times). So it should have been a positive post, are you keeping up?

You list something as questionable when it is a stone cold fact - we are in 21st place and Burton are above us, just what is questionable about that?

You additional points (nothing to do with the Newcastle game):
Tactics/formation - did you miss the previous posts on this subject? As to the tactics/formations, why did you not critique the formation/tactics for the game instead of just making a sweeping statement?
Form - did you miss those posts as well? If you want to bring something new to the table, why are you not comparing the past 6 games to the 8 before and pointing out that this is a positive thing?
You think there is some disagreement about LJ on OTIB - errr, yep I'd agree with that one, but it a tad obvious, and yes, people disagree. It remains to be seen who can claim bragging rights on this one.
For some inane reason, you seek to paint the Newcastle game as inconsequential should the result against Villa be disappointing. Just why?

Just what was the point of your post other than to paint a negative picture of a good result?

Ok so you didn't like the post because it wasn't overwhelmingly positive and for some reason, you have got it into your head I was out for a bit of "LJ -bashing". I get that!

Was it a perfect exposition of the situation during and after Saturday's game? Probably not but then it was for a football forum for a bit of a "friendly" chat. Instead I get you trying to pull it apart like some debating society pedant. If I was standing in the High Court having to lay out the case for the defence or prosecution, I probably would have taken a lot more time over it, rather than just a few minutes typing on my phone late yesterday evening. 

I wasn't being negative about the game per se, I was attempting to bring some semblance of balance, and try to bring a number of strands together, but just as there are those who will not rest until LJ has gone, it seems that there is another camp who are determined he should stay whatever. And in between are those of us who remain completely unconvinced, but just want the best for our club and can't face a return to League 1. Been there and done that for far too long over the past 40 years.

And for that I get a load of criticism from you. Are you always right on everything? Well maybe in your mind. It's not surprising the atmosphere on this forum can get so toxic sometimes with the type of postings you seem intent on adding to certain threads. And yes I do remember some of your previous comments...

Fink n. an unpleasant or contemptible person.

Oh well each to their own I suppose!

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Its just the disruptive element of changing things in a defensive situation.... especially when, as you say, we'd been coping well with the corners. 

I mentioned it on another thread as well....At least two of us paying attention and can remember playing at U12.....My games master would be rolling in his urn, bless him, and he was a Sag! 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

24 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

It's something that almost all of us would have been aware of as schoolboys (apologies Dolly & Peg).

The goal might have been a bit flukey but the reasoning behind not bringing on subs when defending a corner remains the same. As you say Mendip City it just disrupts things unnecessarily at a time when you want everyone focussed. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

It's something that almost all of us would have been aware of as schoolboys (apologies Dolly & Peg).

The goal might have been a bit flukey but the reasoning behind not bringing on subs when defending a corner remains the same. As you say Mendip City it just disrupts things unnecessarily at a time when you want everyone focussed. 

Exactly and the slow walk off was a massive concentration sapper....:grr:

22 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Ok so you didn't like the post because it wasn't overwhelmingly positive and for some reason, you have got it into your head I was out for a bit of "LJ -bashing". I get that!

Was it a perfect exposition of the situation during and after Saturday's game? Probably not but then it was for a football forum for a bit of a "friendly" chat. Instead I get you trying to pull it apart like some debating society pedant. If I was standing in the High Court having to lay out the case for the defence or prosecution, I probably would have taken a lot more time over it, rather than just a few minutes typing on my phone late yesterday evening. 

I wasn't being negative about the game per se, I was attempting to bring some semblance of balance, and try to bring a number of strands together, but just as there are those who will not rest until LJ has gone, it seems that there is another camp who are determined he should stay whatever. And in between are those of us who remain completely unconvinced, but just want the best for our club and can't face a return to League 1. Been there and done that for far too long over the past 40 years.

And for that I get a load of criticism from you. Are you always right on everything? Well maybe in your mind. It's not surprising the atmosphere on this forum can get so toxic sometimes with the type of postings you seem intent on adding to certain threads. And yes I do remember some of your previous comments...

Fink n. an unpleasant or contemptible person.

Oh well each to their own I suppose!

I hope you get over it.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

And us old uns. No subs until I was 20!

8 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

And us old uns. No subs until I was 20!

To be honest at my school, the general standard of football was so low that unless you had been knocked unconscious or had a broken leg, there wasn't much chance of being replaced by the substitute. Even then it wasn't a given!!

17 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Pros:

Cons:

Questionable:

100% spot on

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I mentioned it on another thread as well....At least two of us paying attention and can remember playing at U12.....My games master would be rolling in his urn, bless him, and he was a Sag! 

Haha I imagine Lee had them in for "passing across your own goal" training today! 

Archived