IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

• Admin

Obviously this is related to the Lionesses, but can see this becoming a bigger issue with some of the opposition on the horizon.

England goalkeeper Mary Earps says it has become "really difficult" to keep fans happy after she received criticism for not signing an autograph.

The Lionesses often stay behind after matches to interact with supporters, but they are not able to meet everyone.

Earps said a parent's claim she snubbed their child after Manchester United's win at Everton on Sunday was "hurtful".

"We love [meeting fans] but it's becoming really difficult to maintain," Earps said.

"The accessibility that people get to us as players is something that I think is a hot topic of discussion. It's something that we as players are experiencing in a very different way with the profile of the game changing.

"At times it's becoming really difficult to keep everybody happy and to interact with as many people as possible.

"We're obviously so grateful that thousands and thousands of people want to meet us and come and talk to us, but the reality of it is, if that's the expectation, we're always going to fall short.

"I think the emphasis on it needs to switch now. We love that we can be so connected, but equally we are subject to a lot of comments and unnecessary [criticism]. At times it's just an addition to the game that we don't need."

England defender Esme Morgan said players should not be "made to feel bad" for being unable to meet every request from fans.

European champions England, who finished as runners-up at the World Cup earlier this year, have enjoyed huge success under manager Sarina Wiegman. This has led to more demands on the players from supporters keen to meet their idols.

After last month's win over Scotland in Sunderland, it was reported some fans chanted for the England players to "get off the bus" and meet them.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Obviously this is related to the Lionesses, but can see this becoming a bigger issue with some of the opposition on the horizon.

Being at the Arsenal game, I have to give credit to the steward near my seat in the Lansdown Stand telling fans who were approaching pitchside towards full time to go back. Thought there was going to be an issue with those types of fans standing in the stairs, potentially blocking the view of supporters watching the game.

My personal opinion is that I go to football for the football, not a meet & greet. If the latter happens in a spur-of-the-moment chance (like when I saw some Arsenal players incognito at a Spurs game), then great. But I don't go looking out for it.

As the game gets bigger, more fans will try to meet players for some reason. Man City have recently launched "Autograph Alley" where a select few home fans are invited in advance to meet a select few players after a game, and also advised their players not to go pitchside after games 

• Like 2

Regarding the above posts, it's been a long-standing part of the emerging women's game - namely the players stay around after the end of the match to connect with the fans. It was, and in many places remains, a key characteristic that made the distinction from the men's. Only a few years ago we would be delighted to have a four-figure attendance at any level. Now, with even the likes of little old Bristol City bringing in 12,000, there is clearly going to be an over-demand. Sadly a 'victim of its own success', perhaps inevitably. A case of the women's game following the same path as the men's. History repeating?

• Admin
4 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Emma Hayes to leave Chelsea 

I'm intrigued about the timing of her announcement 

Seems very early to announce regarding the end of the season, it just causes uncertainty for Chelsea, and you know if they don't win the league this will be the reason