IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

I was at the game. Painful viewing. The gulf in class meant that it wasn’t really competitive at all. We also gave them far too much space - in the first half especially our number 8 was repeatedly left to mark two of their players down their right.

On the plus side there was no queue for drinks in the sports bar. 

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Painful watch … assume we’re playing a lot of inexperienced youth for whatever reason. Pity after the game was promoted.

Off to WinterWatch to see some real robins.

And therein lies the problem. Promoting it to The Gate - which is generally about nine-tenths empty for a women’s game.

Nine-tenths empty = Zero atmosphere. No wonder BCWFC have a poor record there compared with the HPC.

If we had played at the HPC we would have EATEN THEM!!! ???

Yes.

Edited by Shelton’s Love Gravy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, miser said:

Could only stomach first 45 tonight. Some observations. Weak lineup due to injuries and goalkeeper rotation highlighting that we do not have much squad depth. Beyond the first 13, we are down to inexperienced youth. Maybe a bit naive tonight to play 3 up top, given we couldn't anticipate ball possession. Lastly a very passive performance. Not sure whether we were afraid big time of Man City or whether we freeze in front of a big crowd. Disappointing night.

The couple of times I’ve watched Liv Clark in goal I’ve been impressed.  In some aspects of her game I think she is a good match for Fran Bentley.  How did she do tonight, looks like she was busy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How did she do tonight

The goal was rather under siege tonight, and perhaps exposed a few weaknesses. Second half was better and she held some long-range shots well.

Not a surprising outcome but a disappointing performance. We hardly had a look in and Man City won at a canter. Having begun in a goal-every-ten-minutes pace, the outcome was forgone very quickly. It was attck versus defence for the entire ninety. Our turnover time was a matter of a few seconds and the possession stats won't be pretty.

With the likes of Palmer and Fi Morgan out we had little bite and were unable to provide width and pace. Emily Syme was left floundering in midfield and the left side of defence was oddly arranged. Hayley Raso was left alone on the wing and, even thought there were five across the back at times, she was still unmarked for a long time. Goals flowed from that position.

Clearly we were up against some serious international class players and were taught some painful lessons. But it took some time to adjust to the opponents and I watched with dismay as Abi Harrison slowly slipped further back as the game went on. She finished just in front of the back four - symptomatic of the night. Few City players will have emerged with much credit, but I did feel Layzell was the pick of the defenders and Maddy Wilde looked useful when she came on. Also young Slocombe was given a few minutes experience and had some desire about her.

The use of Ashton Gate is a natural one for the crowd (2600) but the atmosphere tonight was tepid. Pity, as it could be a real advantage and as others have noted, the HPC is not really big enough for WSL fixtures.

Lauren Smith is on record as thinking there wouldn't be a big gulf between the two teams; that has proved salutory.

But tonight isn't the be all and end all. It is a useful measure though, and if this side is to top the Championship then it will need to be much better next season. Still, lessons are often learned in the heat of battle and perhaps these will be important in the long term.

Now we need to look ahead to an FA Cup fixture this Sunday and hopefully it will be more to our liking. Then a good run to the end of the league season will put tonight's game into better perspective.

• Thanks 4

• Admin

Certainly begs the question whether the club are willing to invest in the push for the WSL etc

The squad will need serious investment to better than just a starting eleven being good enough 

Then there's the small matter of finding a ground with enough seating and capacity for the games as the HPC is not fit for WSL matches 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Appreciate women’s football is different but having been battered 6 nil, could you imagine the stick the blokes would get if they came over to the stands after the game smiling for photos ?

I would imagine some of the Saudi megabucks made it to the ladies' team. Besides, why shouldn't they enjoy themselves?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Appreciate women’s football is different but having been battered 6 nil, could you imagine the stick the blokes would get if they came over to the stands after the game smiling for photos ?

Part of the reason that the attendances have gone up and you can now attract a decent crowd to the Gate is that the players are incredibly accessible to the fans. Last night's crowd contained the usual high amount of youngsters and women and the players still came over to see the fans despite the thumping. At the HPC, quite often the most popular players are still out with the fans half an hour after the game having selfies, signing merchandise etc... it's brilliant to see but then the crowd is a slightly different demographic for the Women's games.

Point taken though. 

• Like 2

All good points, HM.

It is an interesting point and a question I have asked many times - what is the difference between the footballing genders? Given the massive professional input (but not quite the salaries) that women's football has these days, it remains a distinct point that the girls will meet and greet the fans after the match. I appreciate that men mingling with fans after a game has more serious concerns regarding safety, but it strikes me that this is a real difference.

Could it be that in the future there might well be safety concerns and women players will be dissueded from this custom? Would fans be offended if the players hung around for selfies after a battering? If so, would it be considered equality?

On 26/01/2023 at 06:35, Engvall’s Splinter said:

First few games, or at least first few times seeing new players, I would do this, but then after then I'd only say a few words if I was passing by or the other way round.
After Wednesday's game, I didn't go over to any of the Bristol City players as I knew how they'd feel. I don't think they have to interact with fans but fair play on them if they want to, especially with the younger ones

I did try getting a selfie with a Man City player before she left but my selfie camera was stuck on a timer ?

But yeah, it was a free-hit on Wednesday, we were the only non-WSL side in the competition. Man City have world class players & put out a relatively strong side. Felt like we definitely missed Palmer in the midfield after she got suspended for that game.

Semi-draw final was last night & had we won, we'd have been away at Arsenal...

Also, it was nice for Nige to say these words...

On 25/01/2023 at 22:05, Shelton’s Love Gravy said:

And therein lies the problem. Promoting it to The Gate - which is generally about nine-tenths empty for a women’s game.

Nine-tenths empty = Zero atmosphere. No wonder BCWFC have a poor record there compared with the HPC.

If we had played at the HPC we would have EATEN THEM!!! ???

Yes.

I'd love to see higher attendances & more/regular games at the Gate eventually, but I think it has to grow organically. At least the Arnold Clark Cup games have sold out.

But for now....YES! RHPC is somewhat of a fortress for City Women...

• Like 1

Was a bit nervous about this one given Oxfords position as undefeated leader of the National South and the mid week loss to Man City. As it was, normal service resumed with a high press aggressive performance by City. Took a while to get the first, but the second half was just a case of how many. My player of the match would be Lauren Hutton with a goal and an assist. Unfortunate injury to Clinton who could be missing for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Yes, a sound result at the end. I was a little concerned that Wednesday's game would leave a scar but the girls managed to produce a reaction. It may have taken a while against a determined and organised Oxford side who didn't take to the back foot, but in the end it was a return to winning ways.

With a few regulars dropped and a slight shuffling of the pack, today's side was asked to take the game back at the HPC. Things were fairly even to begin with but a strike in stoppage time of the first half was the spark we needed. A second just after the restart was just the ticket and the girls pulled away for the rest of the game.

Good performances from the returning Aimee Palmer and Syme was clearly grateful for that, enjoying a bit more space and finding the net with another long-range shot. Maddie Wilde looked lively until a slight knock late on; Jodie Hutton was reliable in the wide position for spreading the play; Shania Hayles kept working and keeping the defenders on their toes and Abi Harrison was her usual threat from all angles. Gracie Pearse looked class and was solid at the back. When she came on Jess Woolley showed lots of desire and talent - perhaps her best game so far - and rounded it off with a well taken goal (is that her first senior strike?).

All in all, an improving display and a one to dispel the misery of the Man City game. Here's to the draw for the next round.

• Thanks 2

Thank you, Miser. Did try to think back but missed that one.

Had a look at the money page on the FA site (https://www.thefa.com/competitions/the-womens-fa-cup/prize-fund) - seems we have picked up £25,000 in two rounds now! In terms of percentage of turnover that must be a tidy bonus for the team. Also spotted the site declared the attendance of 449 today, but listed the ground as Bristol Academy!

Interesting to see where the game will be played this time.

Looking back at the preview for the Oxford game, Shania Hayles made reference at the start that while it was nice to play at Ashton Gate, the RHPC is more of a proper home - and in my view, more of an intimate atmosphere which is easier to generate than at Ashton Gate at the moment...

It will be a good test for us to see if we can adapt and learn (which we will have to do if promoted. I'd expect a full strength city was perhaps a slightly more defensive set up. Thought we let ourselves down a bit last week to be honest. Chance to show our more resilient side.

• Like 1