IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

My photos from Sunday...

Pitch wasn't the best. Turnout from home fans was rather small. Myself & a couple other City fans made the most noise (when we did make it).
Most of the flags were hung in the stand, which is where the cameras were.
I then noticed there was black netting behind the dugout/benches, so moved my Bristol City/England flag just after kick off.

Nice to chat & get a photo with new signing Rachel Furness after the game. Spotted a few Liverpool fans who came to see her play as well, missing their game against Reading which was happening at the same time...

DSC_0885.JPG

DSC_0886.JPG

DSC_0887.JPG

DSC_0888.JPG

DSC_0889.JPG

DSC_0890.JPG

DSC_0891.JPG

DSC_0892.JPG

DSC_0893.JPG

DSC_0894.JPG

DSC_0895.JPG

DSC_0896.JPG

DSC_0897.JPG

DSC_0898.JPG

DSC_0899.JPG

DSC_0900.JPG

DSC_0901.JPG

DSC_0902.JPG

DSC_0904.JPG

DSC_0905.JPG

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0907.JPG

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0909.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0911.JPG

DSC_0912.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

DSC_0915.JPG

Rachel Furness.JPG

• Like 5

Nice win. Patchy performance for me, some very good, some bad. 

Harrison put a shift in and great crosses. Good keeping as well.

Don't think we can afford many more slip-ups results wise as London looked pretty fluent and on another day could have grabbed a point, if not three.

• Like 1

• Admin

Changes made at half time made the difference, we gave the ball away far too easily in the first half and we were getting over ran in midfield in the first half 

Some great defensive play, throwing their bodies on the line and some of the saves from Fran Bentley were outstanding 

The return fixture in a few weeks will be very interesting 

Screenshot_20230208_204655_Flashscore.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Shania Hayles puts the home side into the lead against the run of play, great pass from Aimee Palmer to find her 

Screenshot_20230208_192420_The FA Player.jpg

Trundle-esque I thought.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Weak clearance from the keeper and Clinton heads home 

Screenshot_20230208_200513_The FA Player.jpg

Brave header.

First half, why we tried playing out via the wingbacks god only knows. London easily pressed it and the likes of Syme and Palmer (who was my POTM) were receiving what little they got facing towards their own goal.  Second half we went a bit more direct, and then we got Palmer on the ball facing forward.  We had a good spell as we scored both the goals, and then Fran Bentley made a couple of great saves.  Here’s one.

• Like 2

Frustrating first half played on the back foot. Need to address how we played out from the back. Too deep and too slow resulting in all options being closed down by London. Second half much improved and a deserved win come the end. Cracking atmosphere amongst a slightly disappointing crowd.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, miser said:

Cracking atmosphere amongst a slightly disappointing crowd.

Looking forward to watching it back on the FA Player to see how loud we were!

Don't think the actual attendance was announced in the end. I'd expect it was smaller than when the game was meant to be played, due to it being midweek for example...

Buzzing! First up: it'a a win, and that's the important thing. Puts us level with the Lionesses but a game in hand, and now means we have control over the rest of the season. A long way to go, yes, but it's ours to win, providing we keep it up.

Great result, based on a great team performance. The visitors were all over us for the first 10-15 minutes with their high tempo and high press - just what we would have been expecting. Having weathered the opening storm well, we didn't really have much impact on the game for most of the first half. As mentioned above, we had difficulty in getting the ball forwards with any consistency and were rather on the back foot. However, goals change games and Shania Hayles proved what a talent she is with a beautifully taken goal just before the break - in truth perhaps against the run of play. I was impressed by London City. They had a solid gameplan and were well prepared; their players were certainly talented but were a cohesive team first and foremost. If they do end up topping the Championship come the end then I fully expect them to survive for the season.

Second half saw a better formation and application of the gameplan; that, combined with City girls putting in a harder shift than London City brought a more positive emphasis. I feel our fitness shows more as the game goes on and gives us an edge when the clock runs down. But tonight we showed a toughness and determination that proves how the club has progressed in recent years. This is a good side and has plenty of talent and reslience. Things that will be needed at the top level.

There wasn't a City player who didn't have a good game, from top to bottom. Loads of really solid defending, especially from Layzell (who I think has improved immensely this season); Fran Bentley had few shots to worry about once the back line had blocked most attempts, but was in top form to prevent any comeback. Midfield was a little congested and there was precious little time to stroll about; Aimee Palmer showed she has all-round talent with her powerful runs forward as well as some crunching tackles (I bet she really enjoyed the game). Syme was a bit outnumbered initially but came on strong in the second half, once the distribution changed.

Front play was difficult in the first half and chances few. The visitors had clearly done their homework and closed Hayles and Harrison down, but moreover suffocating the midfield quickly. They had to create some width themselves at times. But Harrison's crosses in the second half proved key, with City taking control of the game.

Rachel Furness came on as a late sub but showed some nice touches and vision - a real feather in our cap. She bolstered the middle and stopped much opposition creativity.

All in all I think it was the best game I've seen at the HPC. There was loads of effort, passion and a strength of character that I hope will define the rest of the season. Two top teams giving everything, it had just about everything and was what I call a credential game - to be the best, etc...

But it's all to play for. Tonight we've got the upper hand. Let's keep it, because I believe we have shown what it takes to return to the WSL.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Rachel Furness came on as a late sub but showed some nice touches and vision - a real feather in our cap. She bolstered the middle and stopped much opposition creativity.

She wins a lot in the air from Bentley’s kicks.  If Hayles and Harrison can learn to read the direction, City should be able to spring quick attacks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, miser said:

Frustrating first half played on the back foot. Need to address how we played out from the back. Too deep and too slow resulting in all options being closed down by London. Second half much improved and a deserved win come the end. Cracking atmosphere amongst a slightly disappointing crowd.

Yep, trying to play out via the wing backs played straight into London City hands with their high press, Much better going more direct 2nd half and hopefully a lesson learnt for the rematch coming up soon. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Buzzing! First up: it'a a win, and that's the important thing. Puts us level with the Lionesses but a game in hand, and now means we have control over the rest of the season. A long way to go, yes, but it's ours to win, providing we keep it up.

Great result, based on a great team performance. The visitors were all over us for the first 10-15 minutes with their high tempo and high press - just what we would have been expecting. Having weathered the opening storm well, we didn't really have much impact on the game for most of the first half. As mentioned above, we had difficulty in getting the ball forwards with any consistency and were rather on the back foot. However, goals change games and Shania Hayles proved what a talent she is with a beautifully taken goal just before the break - in truth perhaps against the run of play. I was impressed by London City. They had a solid gameplan and were well prepared; their players were certainly talented but were a cohesive team first and foremost. If they do end up topping the Championship come the end then I fully expect them to survive for the season.

Second half saw a better formation and application of the gameplan; that, combined with City girls putting in a harder shift than London City brought a more positive emphasis. I feel our fitness shows more as the game goes on and gives us an edge when the clock runs down. But tonight we showed a toughness and determination that proves how the club has progressed in recent years. This is a good side and has plenty of talent and reslience. Things that will be needed at the top level.

There wasn't a City player who didn't have a good game, from top to bottom. Loads of really solid defending, especially from Layzell (who I think has improved immensely this season); Fran Bentley had few shots to worry about once the back line had blocked most attempts, but was in top form to prevent any comeback. Midfield was a little congested and there was precious little time to stroll about; Aimee Palmer showed she has all-round talent with her powerful runs forward as well as some crunching tackles (I bet she really enjoyed the game). Syme was a bit outnumbered initially but came on strong in the second half, once the distribution changed.

Front play was difficult in the first half and chances few. The visitors had clearly done their homework and closed Hayles and Harrison down, but moreover suffocating the midfield quickly. They had to create some width themselves at times. But Harrison's crosses in the second half proved key, with City taking control of the game.

All in all I think it was the best game I've seen at the HPC. There was loads of effort, passion and a strength of character that I hope will define the rest of the season. Two top teams giving everything, it had just about everything and was what I call a credential game - to be the best, etc...

But it's all to play for. Tonight we've got the upper hand. Let's keep it, because I believe we have shown what it takes to return to the WSL.

An excellent summary if I may so, E.  I'd add a few of my own thoughts...

Think there was a tweak in formation last night with Grace Clinton playing deeper rather than alongside Abi Harrison and Shania Hayles which in itself made the midfield area more congested with a five in there rather than the usual four. Any tweak will take a little while to get used to but eventually we got there last night.

Emily Syme was superb last night, she stepped up. Aimee Palmer is usually consistently very good but Em raised her level last night a notch or two.

Rachel Furness is a great signing. Her record speaks for itself and is exactly the sort of player City needed as the right time. In her 20-25 minutes last night, she could have scored twice; against less organised teams, she could be a real attacking force.

As have been Gracie Pearse and Grace Clinton, Lauren has been impressive in the transfer market and at last, I feel City have strength in depth. 

Finally, the tired old cliche of the best teams winning when they aren't playing at their usual level? I'll happily use that here... against Coventry, the girls were dead and buried and struck twice in stoppage time to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Against London last night, they thwacked them with two goals in five minutes after half time and had scored the first against the run of play, as Erithacus states correctly. This team are finding the habit of winning when they maybe shouldn't; make no mistake, last season they would have lost that game for sure.

COYR.

• Like 3