IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

I don’t follow this thread religiously but I haven’t seen much discussion recently of the club’s strategy with the women’s team. Does anybody have any inside knowledge?

Clearly, enough has been done to make them strong candidates for promotion back to the top flight. That said, the gap to the likes of Man City seems now to be much bigger than when they were last there. How will they cope if they go up and what changes could we expect?

I don’t know what the comparative budgets are like. How much would it take to make the team, say, an established middle-of-the-table top flight team? It would seem to be a good objective, given the prestige this would bring to BCFC overall, if it fits in with SL’s plans.

Again, what, if any, are the financial constraints? Is there any FFP or wage cap? I imagine the biggest clubs are now hoovering up the top players, but is there a place at the table for a club of our size? Eleven of the Super League teams are now associated with EPL clubs. Is that how it is destined to stay?

• Admin
5 hours ago, myol'man said:

Not for myself but are they running a CATS coach on Sunday?

Yes, though apart from the SC&T tweeting about it I'm surprised that the club isn't promoting it better on the OS 

https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/en-GB/events/southampton women away coach travel/2023-3-26_9.30/southampton womens away coach travel?back=2&area=915eee80-8c91-ed11-83d2-e14c263a1530&type=ga

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leveller said:

I don’t follow this thread religiously but I haven’t seen much discussion recently of the club’s strategy with the women’s team. Does anybody have any inside knowledge?

Clearly, enough has been done to make them strong candidates for promotion back to the top flight. That said, the gap to the likes of Man City seems now to be much bigger than when they were last there. How will they cope if they go up and what changes could we expect?

I don’t know what the comparative budgets are like. How much would it take to make the team, say, an established middle-of-the-table top flight team? It would seem to be a good objective, given the prestige this would bring to BCFC overall, if it fits in with SL’s plans.

Again, what, if any, are the financial constraints? Is there any FFP or wage cap? I imagine the biggest clubs are now hoovering up the top players, but is there a place at the table for a club of our size? Eleven of the Super League teams are now associated with EPL clubs. Is that how it is destined to stay?

I have no 'inside knowledge" but would say that the WPL falls into 3 sections; top four - head & shoulders above the rest, middle four, bottom four - fighting to avoid bottom place. IF we go up, it would only take relative modest investment in new players to have a fair chance against the other 3 "bottom four" to avoid the drop. IF we can stay up and benefit from extra TV revenue etc, then with more investment we could challenge the middle four. Realistically, a bit like the MPL, the top four are way beyond a team of our size.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, myol'man said:

So nothing for this Sundays top of the table match?

Clashes with the mens fixture at Swansea I suppose

Given how this Sunday's fixture at London City Lionesses was a rearranged fixture, and the Supporters Club & Trust are trialling two coaches with the club for the games against Charlton last October & Southampton next weekend - there were no plans initially for London City away. Also, the game is live on FA Player

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Leveller said:

Some of this was covered at the fans forum last Wednesday. I recorded it & am in the process of writing a transcript for Since 71, the website I often contribute to. However due to work, time & other constraints, getting round to it isn't easy. And as for 11 of the 12 WSL clubs being associated with a Premier League team - that doesn't always guarantee success. Look at Spurs, for example, who haven't won a league game since October & have just sacked their manager

• Like 1

Tickets are £15 for City Women season ticket holders, £20 for non-season ticket holders. Coach leaves 9:30am at Ashton Gate. Supporters can park on site.

Link to buy coach tickets: bit.ly/BCWFCTravel

Match tickets can be bought from the Southampton website. It is recommended that supporters book their seats in Rows Q, R or S in Block 11 in the Itchen Stand - so we can create an away atmosphere.

Link to buy match tickets

FrXetNeWIAIfgH7?format=jpg&name=medium

In case people don't realise; next two City Women games live (for free) on FA Player - that's the big clash with London City tomorrow 2pm and Southampton away next Sunday.

When City played London City at home the girls tried playing our usual play it out from the back stuff - but London City were too good on the high press and we hardly got out of our own half in the first 45 mins. 2nd half went more direct and the goals followed. Hopefully that is not forgotten for tomorrow. 

Also London City I believe without arguably their most influential player in Lily Agg, as she got a straight red for an off-the-ball incident in their last match. So that should help!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glynriley said:

A good read for anyone who doubts just how much Nigel Pearson has bought into the football club as a whole.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64992686

The interview was carried out by BBC Sport journalist Beth Fisher, who by coincidence is Anita Asante's now-wife.

You can forgive her for referring to the club as "Bristol" but in women's football this is somewhat common due to the team formerly being Bristol Academy 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

The interview was carried out by BBC Sport journalist Beth Fisher, who by coincidence is Anita Asante's now-wife.

You can forgive her for referring to the club as "Bristol" but in women's football this is somewhat common due to the team formerly being Bristol Academy 

On that subject, here is a rather nice article, with their happy news beautifully and amusingly presented.

https://www.advocate.com/sports/beth-fisher-anita-asante-prenancy

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

I didn’t know that, but that makes sense from some of her tweets last year when two blokes tried to hassle them both in a pub…and were not happy that the two girls weren’t interested in their advances.