IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

• Admin
1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Great interview tonight with Geoff. Wasn't (entirely) expecting her to sing fan chants in response to my question. Interesting to hear her say that they'll be playing games at Ashton Gate next season if they get promoted - not sure if that was a slip of the tongue...

I guess we all knew the HPC wasn't fit for purpose and would be outgrown very quickly, but surprised they're going to Ashton Gate. Three teams being based there will take it's toll on the pitch and will it be of any benefit to the team playing home games in a desserted stadium 

I expected then to go to either Bath or Weston 

I suppose the club has only two grounds and the HPC is looking short of space, so there is really only one choice. Yes, they might conclude an arrangement with another club (or the SGS?) but perhaps it would be seen as a little disingenuous. Crowds at the Gate have been 2500-3000 this season so that might be sufficient to make the costings work. Playing in the WSL will surely bring a bigger attandance from visiting clubs too. Mr Lansdown will have someone working on those prospective figures, I'm sure.

Anyways, it would be rather fetching if the girls were to find a way to be promoted at the Gate on April 23rd, wouldn't it?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Great interview tonight with Geoff. Wasn't (entirely) expecting her to sing fan chants in response to my question. Interesting to hear her say that they'll be playing games at Ashton Gate next season if they get promoted - not sure if that was a slip of the tongue...

Here are the particular clips in question

In regards to moving to another team's ground, I think the club want the team to still play at or as close to Ashton Gate as possible, and have facilities that meet current WSL criteria.
The decision to move to Twerton Park for 2020/21 was partly due to COVID/social distancing guidelines that SGS couldn't meet, however it didn't matter at the end as that season was behind closed doors. And one/some of the people behind that decision aren't at the club anymore.
Also, since then Bath City have reformed their women's team, and play at Twerton Park.

A unique selling point for City is that they actually play in the location they're representing. You see WSL clubs like Man United who play in Leigh, Brighton in Crawley. Plus a few London-based teams who play at other stadiums, but then London has plenty to offer compared to the limited decent options in Bristol.
A potential move outside of Bristol may be unpopular with supporters.

There are clubs such as Reading, Sheffield United, Birmingham, Southampton who all play at their men's stadiums - but they have the caveat that they have no other rugby teams etc who play games there regularly.

If the permanent move to AG does happen, it would be interesting especially in regards to the pitch with three teams being based there. Bristol Bears Women still play most of their games at Shaftesbury Park in Frenchay but even their season ticket renewal announcement advised that they'd be planning on three AG games next season.

The question was asked at the recent Fans Forum, and Lauren Smith did say that she'd love for the team to eventually outgrow the RHPC.
I think clubs such as Arsenal & Chelsea are also getting there with Meadow Park & Kingsmeadow recently, hence why they're having more games at the Emirates & Stamford Bridge respectively but haven't reached enough levels yet to fill out that particular stadia

On 28/03/2023 at 13:24, shahanshahan said:

In regards to moving to another team's ground, I think the club want the team to still play at or as close to Ashton Gate as possible, and have facilities that meet current WSL criteria.
The decision to move to Twerton Park for 2020/21 was partly due to COVID/social distancing guidelines that SGS couldn't meet, however it didn't matter at the end as that season was behind closed doors. And one/some of the people behind that decision aren't at the club anymore.
Also, since then Bath City have reformed their women's team, and play at Twerton Park.

A unique selling point for City is that they actually play in the location they're representing. You see WSL clubs like Man United who play in Leigh, Brighton in Crawley. Plus a few London-based teams who play at other stadiums, but then London has plenty to offer compared to the limited decent options in Bristol.
A potential move outside of Bristol may be unpopular with supporters.

There are clubs such as Reading, Sheffield United, Birmingham, Southampton who all play at their men's stadiums - but they have the caveat that they have no other rugby teams etc who play games there regularly.

If the permanent move to AG does happen, it would be interesting especially in regards to the pitch with three teams being based there. Bristol Bears Women still play most of their games at Shaftesbury Park in Frenchay but even their season ticket renewal announcement advised that they'd be planning on three AG games next season.

The question was asked at the recent Fans Forum, and Lauren Smith did say that she'd love for the team to eventually outgrow the RHPC.
I think clubs such as Arsenal & Chelsea are also getting there with Meadow Park & Kingsmeadow recently, hence why they're having more games at the Emirates & Stamford Bridge respectively but haven't reached enough levels yet to fill out that particular stadia

Interesting point last week made by the West Ham Ladies defender Lucy Parker that they are the only team in the WSL  not to have played at their corresponding  men's team ground this season, in fact they havent played there since 2019 even though they've been in a FA Cup semi final. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

Interesting point last week made by the West Ham Ladies defender Lucy Parker that they are the only team in the WSL  not to have played at their corresponding  men's team ground this season, in fact they havent played there since 2019 even though they've been in a FA Cup semi final. 

And they were finalists back in 2019 at Wembley!

On 27/03/2023 at 21:32, phantom said:

I guess we all knew the HPC wasn't fit for purpose and would be outgrown very quickly, but surprised they're going to Ashton Gate. Three teams being based there will take it's toll on the pitch and will it be of any benefit to the team playing home games in a desserted stadium 

I expected then to go to either Bath or Weston 

I will be amazed if they play all home games at AG, the pitch as we will see later today is taking a hammering and to play an additional 20 plus games on it is asking a lot, and when would they play? Playing games Friday, Saturday and Sunday consecutively seems unlikely.

Bath is also unlikely as they have a women’s team themselves, so I’d agree with Weston where our U23 team played a lot of matches recently, if it meets the standard for men’s u23(21) then it will almost certainly meet the standard for WSL.

4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I will be amazed if they play all home games at AG, the pitch as we will see later today is taking a hammering and to play an additional 20 plus games on it is asking a lot, and when would they play? Playing games Friday, Saturday and Sunday consecutively seems unlikely.

Bath is also unlikely as they have a women’s team themselves, so I’d agree with Weston where our U23 team played a lot of matches recently, if it meets the standard for men’s u23(21) then it will almost certainly meet the standard for WSL.

Does anyone know if there's the option to extend the capacity of the HPC? For example, literally putting two or three steps of terracing either behind the goals or down the dug out side of the pitch, I'm sure they could easily get a capacity of a couple of thousand by doing so.

19 hours ago, beaverface said:

Does anyone know if there's the option to extend the capacity of the HPC? For example, literally putting two or three steps of terracing either behind the goals or down the dug out side of the pitch, I'm sure they could easily get a capacity of a couple of thousand by doing so.

I think the WSL will have rules about spectator capacity at games, the HPC was never intended to have anything other than a show pitch (with exactly the same pitch build as AG) for use by the men’s teams, a practise pitch for the first team and home pitch for the Academy teams, originally the Women’s team were going to take over the entire facility at SGS previously shared with the Academy, SGS has a very decent show pitch itself, with spectator facilities.

I don’t think either of those venues would meet the WSL rules about spectator capacity.

I think someone I follow on Twitter went to watch Stoke Gifford United recently, they play behind the main building at SGS. The main pitch that the Women used to play on is now a 4G pitch for American Football and I'm not sure but from the pictures, I can't see any of those portable stands that they used to use for home games. Maybe they could come in handy?

Well at least Bruce, who gets turned far too easily, will be out for last games. Her and Wooley are two that, from the games I've seen, are simply not good enough if we do go up, but going to go to the wire now it seems. Sounded from twitter feed they gave it a real go after the double substitution today but could not quite manage to find an equalizer.