IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

For those that hadn't seen on BBC iPlayer, England have just lost to Spain in the semi final of the U17 Euros. It looked it was going to be a draw after 90 minutes but Spain scored two late goals to reach the final - the third goal seeming to slightly bounce off Mari Ward (who played the full 90)

Fw1MJpkXwAwffJR?format=jpg&name=large

As an aside (and a little bit of relevance to City) the Norwich City sporting director Stuart Webber said women's football was "of zero interest to me". In a forthright statement he is reported by the BBC as not rating women's football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-65685904

Oddly in the circumstances, he also said that the former Robin Flo Allen, the general manager of Norwich City Women, as "a real rising star".

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Erithacus said:

As an aside (and a little bit of relevance to City) the Norwich City sporting director Stuart Webber said women's football was "of zero interest to me". In a forthright statement he is reported by the BBC as not rating women's football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-65685904

Oddly in the circumstances, he also said that the former Robin Flo Allen, the general manager of Norwich City Women, as "a real rising star".

He's fine to have that opinion personally but to say it professionally? Hmm

Full quote: 

"Norwich City Women played at Carrow Road for the first time last month. They won 5-3 in front of 7,500 supporters and it was probably the stadium’s highlight this year. How will the club build on that?

I thought it was great because it brought a completely new fanbase to the stadium to see what this business offers. There are plans to maybe have two games here next year. But we also have to remember it’s like a new club being formed and it costs a lot of money to put a game on here. We have to keep the demand because it doesn’t work if we have 1,500 people (at Carrow Road). That’s not good for the pitch to be used. Flo Allen (general manager) has done some incredible work and she’s a real rising star.

It’s like taking a Sunday League team and trying to make them a Premier League team. It’s a really slow journey. Just because they’ve got our badge, you can’t compare. That game (against Ashford Town in the domestic fourth tier), we can say it was exciting but if we want to talk about quality, it was really poor. That’s not being unfair, it’s just factually correct. We’ve got to organically build it. We don’t want to go too fast then people get turned off, just to try to win a popularity contest on Twitter.

That was the first women’s game I’ve been to, because it’s not an interest to me. I don’t mind admitting that. I love working with Flo and helping her, but that’s because it’s Flo. Women’s football, I do not watch it. It’s of zero interest to me in terms of on the telly because I watch enough men’s football and if I’m not watching that, I want to watch other sports. It’s a choice, which I think should be OK.

We’re not going to get Carrow Road full for the women’s team with 40-to-60-year-old drunk men. It’s about recognising that and going after who it is for. My son loved it — the atmosphere, music being on during the game — but that’s not for everyone; I wouldn’t want to watch a Premier League game and there’s music playing during a throw-in.

For the girls, it was amazing. They were living their dream. They aren’t professionals. They were maybe working in the police that morning, and then running out like a hero to that crowd. Those are pictures and memories they’ll take to their grave"

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, miser said:

Permanent sub at Liverpool for last 2 seasons. Need better to make an impact in WSL.

Yeah, she was always a “nice player” who had ability, but often too much on the periphery of things.  Guess it depends on what we can recruit for season 1 / aims for season 1.

• Admin
1 hour ago, miser said:

Permanent sub at Liverpool for last 2 seasons. Need better to make an impact in WSL.

Carla was always a favourite of mine at City, but she just seemed to float around the pitch never really impacting the game enough

Leighann is a decent player, but again never involved enough in the games she played, scored a hat trick once and seemed to live off that 

Not sure either would be coming our way

I see Brighton have released a few today as well

Brighton captain Megan Connolly and goalkeeper Megan Walsh are among five first-team players leaving the Women's Super League club this summer.

Victoria Williams, Kayleigh Green and four-cap England international Danielle Carter will also depart following the club's escape from WSL relegation.

On 25/05/2023 at 12:38, Davefevs said:

Carla Humphrey return???

For me, not really.

Have seen Aston Villa announce a fair few players leaving at the end of the season (Remi Allen, Emily Gielnik, Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah, Ruesha Littlejohn, Tash Harding (who is ex-Bristol Academy)). West Ham have announced that Kate Longhurst is leaving them. Chelsea already announced that Magda Eriksson & Pernille Harder are leaving (although the rumour is that they'll join Bayern Munich). Rafaelle Souza is leaving Arsenal & most likely will join Orlando Pride.

With the WSL finale tomorrow (all games KO 2:30pm), it will be interesting to see what clubs announce who will leave them - especially for the club that gets relegated (which is most likely going to be Reading, who are at home to potential champions Chelsea)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

With the WSL finale tomorrow (all games KO 2:30pm), it will be interesting to see what clubs announce who will leave them - especially for the club that gets relegated (which is most likely going to be Reading, who are at home to potential champions Chelsea)

Man United beat Liverpool 1-0 but Chelsea won against Reading 3-0. Chelsea champions & Reading relegated after eight years in the WSL.

Next season, City will be the team in the WSL not affiliated with a Premier League club. Not saying Reading got relegated because of that, but because of other problems in their team

5 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Man United beat Liverpool 1-0 but Chelsea won against Reading 3-0. Chelsea champions & Reading relegated after eight years in the WSL.

Next season, City will be the team in the WSL not affiliated with a Premier League club. Not saying Reading got relegated because of that, but because of other problems in their team

Everton or Leicester May yet be joining us in lacking a perm men’s team. We will find out tomorrow. 

I suspect the relegation of either Everton and/or Leicester will not materially affect the women's teams, and we will still have a real task to compete on an equal footing next season. It will be intriguing to see how City respond and if new blood will be brought in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Parkwaymom said:

Everton or Leicester May yet be joining us in lacking a perm men’s team. We will find out tomorrow. 

Forgot about them! As Leicester are going down, there'll two teams with no affiliation to a Premier League side. Two King Power Stadium away days it is then!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Just a, thought, as the games will be played at the Gate next season we'd hope for increased revenue from increased attendances and larger concession sales. I assume that ST sales are already up. Will any of this increased revenue however be offset by increased costs of stewarding etc. 

Season ticket sales are up, over 1000 sold to date. That's a fairly sizeable increase on the RHPC. We can expect increased crowds and revenue albeit offset by some additional costs. Whether this alone is enough to fund a sufficiently talented squad remains to be seen (assuming clubs investment through financial loss remains consistent).

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, miser said:

Season ticket sales are up, over 1000 sold to date. That's a fairly sizeable increase on the RHPC. We can expect increased crowds and revenue albeit offset by some additional costs. Whether this alone is enough to fund a sufficiently talented squad remains to be seen (assuming clubs investment through financial loss remains consistent).

I stand to be corrected but I am sure there were only 53 season tickets sold last season

• Haha 1

We need a plaque for the RHPC53. Shows there is a big gap between WSL and lower leagues both in finances and potential audiences. I'd guess the increased sales are as much v who we are playing than our status. There is a big audience due to the Lionesses success which has filtered down to WSL, but not yet beyond. 

• Like 1

Lauren Smith wins Championship Manager of the Season at tonight's LMA Awards...

IMG-20230530-WA0000.jpg

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I stand to be corrected but I am sure there were only 53 season tickets sold last season

I don't think the official number was ever released. If it was a two digit figure, it makes me think how the RHPC always had hundreds of people every home game...

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Lauren Smith wins Championship Manager of the Season at tonight's LMA Awards...

IMG-20230530-WA0000.jpg

I don't think the official number was ever released. If it was a two digit figure, it makes me think how the RHPC always had hundreds of people every home game...

Always a changeable crowd at the RHPC. A chance to cement a hardcore support at the gate next season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Forgot she only signed a one year deal. But some great business to get Emily Syme to commit...

On improved terms as well compared to the Championship, albeit still nothing compared to the men’s team of course. A fabulous player and fantastic person, hope she tears up the league next season! 

• Like 1