IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

and another 

Shame we didn't stagger the announcements 

Danish striker Amalie Thestrup has signed for City on a two-year deal.

The 28-year-old’s career began in her home country with Brøndby IF, where she won the Elitedivisionen and Danish Cup double twice – in 2015 and 2017 – before spending time with Vejle BK and BSF.

In 2019 the forward made the switch to Europe to join Roma, where she spent a season before signing for Liverpool in the Barclays Women’s Championship.

She began a spell with PSV Eindhoven in 2021, then returning to the Barclays Women’s Super League side West Ham on loan in January 2023

FB_IMG_1692033192267.jpg

Nearly missed this as I was listening to Sound of the City ?

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not a lot of notice sadly 

Screenshot_20230814_181557_X.jpg

I briefly saw the tweet but I listen to Sound of the City live anyway (when I can).

Thought it was weird that Ed Hadwin kept previewing the feature as with "one of the Bristol City Women players" rather than say Satara Murray's name. Nonetheless, still a good, in-depth interview 

19 hours ago, phantom said:

and another 

Shame we didn't stagger the announcements 

Danish striker Amalie Thestrup has signed for City on a two-year deal.

The 28-year-old’s career began in her home country with Brøndby IF, where she won the Elitedivisionen and Danish Cup double twice – in 2015 and 2017 – before spending time with Vejle BK and BSF.

In 2019 the forward made the switch to Europe to join Roma, where she spent a season before signing for Liverpool in the Barclays Women’s Championship.

She began a spell with PSV Eindhoven in 2021, then returning to the Barclays Women’s Super League side West Ham on loan in January 2023

FB_IMG_1692033192267.jpg

We've signed some decent players but mostly of Championship level so this is the sort of signing I've been looking for. Allied to her skill Amalie adds the type of experience needed if we are to establish ourselves in the WSL. 

• Like 1

• Admin

My niece was asking about tickets for the game Vs Man Utd, only 342 tickets left on sale, great to see such interest and can only see it increasing nearer to kick off and also on the back of what the Lionesses achieve this week

I wonder where they will open next?

Assume they will sell block by block going around into the South Stand, but am I actually surprised the club have not released these yet to enable people to get groups of tickets together

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

My niece was asking about tickets for the game Vs Man Utd, only 342 tickets left on sale, great to see such interest and can only see it increasing nearer to kick off and also on the back of what the Lionesses achieve this week

I wonder where they will open next?

Assume they will sell block by block going around into the South Stand, but am I actually surprised the club have not released these yet to enable people to get groups of tickets together

They've seemingly opened one block in the Dolman for the Arsenal game - only W14 and E31 show any availability at present.

• Admin
18 hours ago, myol'man said:

Why are they not using the Dolman Stand first to have a crowd in shot for televised matches?

Valid question considering the club made such an effort to get everyone in the Dolman Stand for the title winning game on TV last season

I will ask the question

• Like 1

A good piece from Anita Asante.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/29/luis-rubiales-sad-symbol-systemic-problem-for-womens-football

This paragraph should be a source of pride for the club as well:

I’m lucky enough to have experienced working as first-team coach at Bristol City where Lauren Smith’s side share a fabulous open‑plan training facility with the men’s setup and the men’s team manager, Nigel Pearson, and his staff are fantastically welcoming. It’s a friendly, harmonious arrangement, provoking plenty of exchanges of ideas; it feels entirely normal for male and female footballers to work alongside each other.

• Like 6
  • Robin 2

Conti Cup group games confirmed

Wed 11/10
Bristol City v Southampton (7pm, location TBC (Robins High Performance Centre?))

Wed 22/11
Tottenham v Bristol City (7:30pm)

Wed 24/01
Reading v Bristol City (7pm)

Should Arsenal not qualify for Champions League group stages, they will be drawn & enter Group C, D (City's group) or E

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/conti-cup-fixtures-confirmed/

• Admin

EXCLUSIVE: Bristol City star Abi Harrison sends return warning to WSL after "best day of her life"

The Bristol City and Scotland striker sits down with the Mirror to discuss her return to the Women's Super League with the Vixens ahead of the 2023-24 season

But let’s be clear: Abi Harrison has not returned to the Women’s Super League to redeem anything. The 25-year-old Bristol City striker isn’t concerning herself with lost time and its recoupment. Neither is this about validation for a team bidding to confound football's status quo as one of two top-flight women's side without respective Premier League backing (Leicester City is the other).

Harrison has returned to the WSL with Bristol City Women after two seasons grafting outside the top-flight for nothing more than simple enjoyment.

“If that’s your cliché answer, then it is," the Scotland international tells the Mirror. “We need to know our place, know our worth. We’re not there to make up numbers. But if people think we need to redeem ourselves, if people think we’re a write off from the start, that’s on them. I’ve experienced the highs and lows of Bristol City in four and a half years. So first and foremost, I want to enjoy this.”

You can be forgiven for feeling that Harrison not wanting to tie anything grander to her hard-fought return to the top-flight can risk feeling underwhelming, or maybe even a tactical ruse.

City are the league's fresh underdogs. The squad -- a plucky medley of academy talent, hungry loanees and various experience -- is significantly less extravagant and well-known than those of rivals.

But speaking after another “enjoyably hard” pre-season training session under manager Lauren Smith, Harrison is in a particularly philosophical mood. The word legacy crops up more than once, prompting an ever-important reminder that Harrison, at 25 years old, is still technically young, a fact belied by her CV and the responsibility that has long sat upon her shoulders.

In Harrison’s four and a half years in BS3, she has “seen it all.” The short of it reads like a post-Covid women's football Bingo card: A move to the WSL. An ACL injury. A global pandemic. Relegation. Promotion.

The long of it is more complex. Harrison is one of only a few players to survive from the 2020-21 relegation season. It was a demotion that not only left the team and its history in the upper echelon of women’s football in a precarious balance but also Harrison's WSL account blighted by what ifs.

Since relegation, Harrison has become the club's all-time top goalscorer and a centurion. She has seen the transition from “not great facilities and home stadium” to the sharing of the Robins High Performance Centre with the men's senior team and home matches at Ashton Gate.

Harrison's ambitions for this season, then, are necessarily heady, including a return to the Scotland national team ahead of the Nations League clash against England. She is more than conscious of the need to score goals, particularly more than her last WSL return of two during that onerous relegation season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2