IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

My daughter has already asked about going to Arsenal, I reckon there might be enough interest in that one, or I hope so

It's a shame our game is being played at Boreham Wood 

Notice they're playing five games at The Emirates and six at Boreham Wood 

1 minute ago, Chessels Chick said:

Just heard big cheer so guessing we've scored!!

Yes. I heard it too, but I'm also watching on the faplayer! Massive deflection. Against the run of play.

ed: 1-0 to City in case it isn't clear.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Robin 2

Well that was a chastening experience. Against arguably the closest rivals to avoid relegation our girls were very much 2nd best.

Annoyingly, Aimee Palmer - who we decided not to retain - played better than any of the City midfield. Strong in the tackle, crisp in her passing, composed and positionally good.

We have to find a massive improvement, or this season could become an embarrassment.

Just now, TinMan's left peg said:

Going to be a tough season I think.  Some nice play, especially in the first half but shaky at the back to say the least.  

Just got to get points where they can, survival the aim.  The six-pointers will be pivotal you suspect.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Watched the second half, Leicester miles better (physically and technically).  Our lot will need to learn quickly

To be fair, although Leicester started very well, we had a very good spell for 20 minutes in the first half, particularly after the goal. 

Unfortunately they were by far the better side in the second half though.

2 hours ago, miser said:

I'm going for Fran Bentley as player of the season.

Putting Ella Powell in the conversation... she was great today.

• Like 1

New season, new level, new players, new hope but some old questions. How will the team gel, with many new faces and perhaps some new ideas?

Firstly, great to see so many fans in the ground, helped by Shahan the flag monitor. Have to say the few turnstiles open at first did cause a bit of a lengthy queue (a familiar scene at Ashton Gate). Sad to note that Abi Harrison was not even in kit today - I really hope it's not an 'Alex Scott' kind of injury.

The opening minutes of the game proved encouraging, with the girls getting a foot on the ball and making some progress going for goal. However, the visitors grew back and for much of the game were better at the fifty-fifties and we lost some momentum. They also appeared quicker around the pitch and had a better sense of position.

With a relatively new midfield including Connolly and Rogers it was no real surprise that City's rhythm often looked a little ponderous. It was here that Leicester were able to keep us at bay at times. Furness was the main thrust but Ffion Morgan seemed to be set more as a wing back with cover responsibilities and was often behind play. After about half an hour, both Morgan and Powell swapped sides for a time but resumed after substitutions. Up front the new pairing of Thestrup and Jones were stifled and were kept largely out of range.

Defensively, we had a solid set-up but it was cracked by the visitors who scored twice quickly after the break. Both were avoidable and defenders were caught out by livelier  opponents. For the first game - and it's just the first of a long season - we looked a little short of pace and thinking at this level. I'm sure the coaches will be going through lots of points and will have plenty to work on this week. However, the general consensus appears to make this a game that will decide the lower end of the table. There will be others and we need to make sure we have a say in the outcomes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Well that was a chastening experience. Against arguably the closest rivals to avoid relegation our girls were very much 2nd best.

Annoyingly, Aimee Palmer - who we decided not to retain - played better than any of the City midfield. Strong in the tackle, crisp in her passing, composed and positionally good.

We have to find a massive improvement, or this season could become an embarrassment.

What's the story with Palmer? Very strange that she would move to our direct relegation rivals

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What's the story with Palmer? Very strange that she would move to our direct relegation rivals

Most reports quote that she returns to Willie Kirk after coaching her early career here. She was certainly our best midfielder in recent seasons, so it was a disappointment to see her leave. Although she had a steady game today (mainly at the back of the midfield) her rocket to equalise was a definite blow.

• Thanks 1

Tbh Leicester miles better than us ..actually i dont blame the players but the manager needs to take a long hard look at herself..no plan A or B, no tactics, girls did not seen to know how to set up, Leicester played with two very wide players and no tactics to stop that..Smith is out of her depth at this level of management 

Edited by coxyboy

12 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

Tbh Leicester miles better than us ..actually i dont blame the players but the manager needs to take a long hard look at herself..no plan A or B, no tactics, girls did not seen to know how to set up, Leicester played with two very wide players and no tactics to stop that..Smith is out of her depth at this level of management 

That would most likely reveal itself over time, all things being equal. Which of course they aren't. From the interested bystander POV (I follow the womans team, but little knowledge of the WSL) I doubt City have budgeted enough to stay up.

I expect @shahanshahan will have some real insight and perspective on this.