IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

Just now, ralphindevon said:

I often wonder if it’s fair they have to play in the same size goals as the men?

Your average male keeper is bigger than your average female keeper and you do see quite a few long shots going in out of reach. 

I was only thinking that earlier and there was a conversation about smaller balls at one stage. Thing is, then it would really be a different game.

Mary Earps is 5'8" , about the same size as Les Green (Derby) , one for the kids there. As the League builds and improves over time, I do think it will change a little. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

1 shot v 25. 20% possession at home. Could barely string three passes together. Brave but humiliating.

I imagine the same game for the men, should we ever etc etc , could have similar stats.
As in the mens game, the top sides are streets ahead of the rest and City are below that next level. It would be a massive achievement just to stay up.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

When I see our women pitted against the likes of Russo, Meads and Miedema then I think they did well. Like in the mens teams I should imagine that players like the above and those in the other elite teams get paid considerably more than our young footballers. You could see that Arsenal were a class or more above our level but hopefully it will be a learning experience. Take note that this could be what the mens team experience if they ever get promoted.

• Like 4

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I imagine the same game for the men, should we ever etc etc , could have similar stats.
As in the mens game, the top sides are streets ahead of the rest and City are below that next level. It would be a massive achievement just to stay up.

Were those the stats when the men played a Man City side with KDB, Foden, Gundogan etc. last season? Not knocking players doing their best by the way……

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Were those the stats when the men played a Man City side with KDB, Foden, Gundogan etc. last season? Not knocking players doing their best by the way……

In the one off Cup game ? No.

But I have seen similar stats in our Championship games not a million miles from today. 
The nearest comparison is Sheff U, they were better than us by some way last year and look lost this.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It was totally one sided to a ridiculous level.

The same as some promoted sides in the mens game.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’ll give them that, but the gulf in class is a chasm.

It is, I agree.

All they can do, is try and compete, continue to build and hope to get closer in the future.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Midred said:

When I see our women pitted against the likes of Russo, Meads and Miedema then I think they did well. Like in the mens teams I should imagine that players like the above and those in the other elite teams get paid considerably more than our young footballers. You could see that Arsenal were a class or more above our level but hopefully it will be a learning experience. Take note that this could be what the mens team experience if they ever get promoted.

We'd be a Luton or a Derby when they got the lowest points total in the top tier.

Absolutely no doubt about that.

The Womens team did well to hold Arsenal to 1-2 and some small minded people can only see the stats.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Midred said:

I have just noted that, thanks 

• Haha 1

Not what many were expecting at the Gate tonight! Firstly, some 12,000 fans (with a large proportion Gooners or Lioness fans) at the ground will have brought a smile to the club, no doubt. Good to have them but I wonder how many will be there for the next games. Also good to see flagmeister Shahan on duty.

Of course, the bottom line is: we lost. We are at the bottom of the table without a point to our name and this is not entirely unexpected. Early days, yes, but we may be looking at the possibility of not getting a point until mid season if we don't pick things up.

Starting with a 5-4-1 out formation we set our stall out clearly to not give Arsenal an easy night. That also meant we would not be giving their keeper much to do. So it played out in the first half where we hardly had the ball for long and found it difficult to find a team-mate up field when we did. Too many times we simply whacked it long just to clear it, without having any real plan to retain the ball. That made it attack-v-defence for long periods. That said, we certainly didn't lie down and get rolled over (not like the first half of the Man City game); our defenders were up for the challenge and gave those international opponents a game they didn't want. Full marks for effort and desire.

Rachel Furness was the leader in the middle of the park (our our half, moreover) and put in a really solid performance, giving the Arsenal midfield plenty to think about. Her closing down, defensive efforts and drive were outstanding, but began to fade a bit in the second half - understandably so. Her goal was beautifully taken and showed we weren't cannon fodder. The back line of three centre halves all got stuck in and defended bravely at times. Although unable to break upfield much at all, Ella Powell was determined and didn't give up much space. Ffi Morgan tried to open the flanks when the chance came but was up against some well-drilled defenders.

Nominally the third choice keeper, Liv Clarke had a game to be proud of. Her handling and command of the box were up there with the injured Fran Bentley, making some vital stops and blocks. She didn't really have much chance with the two goals.

So to sum up, another defeat but not without much credit. I suspect Lauren Smith will have been quietly delighted with the girls' efforts and application. There were many more positives than negatives. It was not in doubt that our first season back at the top table would be difficult and would test the resolve, but the time taken for the new players and systems to bed in is showing signs of working now. Hopefully there will be more to cheer in the next game at West Ham.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Not what many were expecting at the Gate tonight! Firstly, some 12,000 fans (with a large proportion Gooners or Lioness fans) at the ground will have brought a smile to the club, no doubt. Good to have them but I wonder how many will be there for the next games. Also good to see flagmeister Shahan on duty.

Of course, the bottom line is: we lost. We are at the bottom of the table without a point to our name and this is not entirely unexpected. Early days, yes, but we may be looking at the possibility of not getting a point until mid season if we don't pick things up.

Starting with a 5-4-1 out formation we set our stall out clearly to not give Arsenal an easy night. That also meant we would not be giving their keeper much to do. So it played out in the first half where we hardly had the ball for long and found it difficult to find a team-mate up field when we did. Too many times we simply whacked it long just to clear it, without having any real plan to retain the ball. That made it attack-v-defence for long periods. That said, we certainly didn't lie down and get rolled over (not like the first half of the Man City game); our defenders were up for the challenge and gave those international opponents a game they didn't want. Full marks for effort and desire.

Rachel Furness was the leader in the middle of the park (our our half, moreover) and put in a really solid performance, giving the Arsenal midfield plenty to think about. Her closing down, defensive efforts and drive were outstanding, but began to fade a bit in the second half - understandably so. Her goal was beautifully taken and showed we weren't cannon fodder. The back line of three centre halves all got stuck in and defended bravely at times. Although unable to break upfield much at all, Ella Powell was determined and didn't give up much space. Ffi Morgan tried to open the flanks when the chance came but was up against some well-drilled defenders.

Nominally the third choice keeper, Liv Clarke had a game to be proud of. Her handling and command of the box were up there with the injured Fran Bentley, making some vital stops and blocks. She didn't really have much chance with the two goals.

So to sum up, another defeat but not without much credit. I suspect Lauren Smith will have been quietly delighted with the girls' efforts and application. There were many more positives than negatives. It was not in doubt that our first season back at the top table would be difficult and would test the resolve, but the time taken for the new players and systems to bed in is showing signs of working now. Hopefully there will be more to cheer in the next game at West Ham.

Agree with pretty much of all this, E. Rachel Furniss was outstanding for me and showed a bit of class in among the hubbub of midfield. She was an astute signing by Lauren having played at the highest level and hopefully she will influence others around her to lift their game too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Agree with pretty much of all this, E. Rachel Furniss was outstanding for me and showed a bit of class in among the hubbub of midfield. She was an astute signing by Lauren having played at the highest level and hopefully she will influence others around her to lift their game too. 

Think she was the game-changer last season when she signed.  Would’ve liked to see her and Amy Palmer last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Think she was the game-changer last season when she signed.  Would’ve liked to see her and Amy Palmer last season.

Yes Palmer is a big loss, as she was very good at shielding the defence and has not been adequately replaced ... Napier, Jones & Rodgers are all attack minded. We needed a Palmer type to sit and cover and link defence to mf. None of those 3 do that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

It's only two games in but we are 4th - fourth - in the attendance table, above the following :

Manchester United 

Manchester City

Tottenham 

Aston Villa

Everton

and Leicester, Brighton, West Ham.

This is a great effort and just goes to show why the club should be investing in the playing side! We could be the fourth biggest club in the land 🤪

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 18:59, Northern Red said:

Dunno who this co-commentator is on Sky but she's miserable.

On 22/10/2023 at 19:02, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sounds like Michelle Owen to me. She`s City so understandably a bit downbeat.

1-1, good team goal.

On 22/10/2023 at 19:11, B1ackbird said:

God almighty this experts a belter isn't she..

For a start she insists it's Bristol

The goal was all Arsenal's fault, no credit at all to City.

🤔

On 22/10/2023 at 20:41, Shockwave said:

Welsh commentator so bias to Arsenal 

I caught up on the Sky stream recently, and the co-commentator was recently retired Natasha Harding, who played for Bristol Academy (as it was at the time) between 2012 & 2014.

And it's because of the previous team name why some people in the women's game still refer to City as just "Bristol".

I noticed Stephen Warnock did a similar thing, and I'd have expected better of him having known of the different Bristol teams. Unless he deliberately called City "Bristol" when doing punditry in the men's game...

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 19:30, W-S-M Seagull said:

What is the deal with all those drummers? Really annoying. 

On 22/10/2023 at 20:15, Lew-T said:

Who is banging that drum?

As the Dolman stand was open for this fixture, the same drummers that were part of the pre-match entertainment in the concourse were then put there during the game

Kinda gave some competition to the drummer I know who sits near me. Hopefully it helped with overall atmosphere...

WEST HAM AWAY DAY
SUNDAY 5TH NOVEMBER

Sharing an idea first raised by D-M Withers (who isn't on OTIB) - looking for fans to book GroupSave travel if travelling on the same train.

Leave Temple Meads 11.06
Arrive Paddington 12.44
Travel to Whitechapel on Elizabeth Line. Then Travel to Dagenham East on District Line

KO 3pm.

Leave Paddington 19.00
Arrive Temple Meads 20.32

Should cost about £51 per person

There is no away coach travel for this fixture, as the football club haven't organised this.

We are awaiting to see if the club will request an allocation for match tickets...

Interested? Leave a comment below & I'll forward onto D-M

Train-Travel.jpg

Edited by shahanshahan

On 24/10/2023 at 12:55, shahanshahan said:

I caught up on the Sky stream recently, and the co-commentator was recently retired Natasha Harding, who played for Bristol Academy (as it was at the time) between 2012 & 2014.

And it's because of the previous team name why some people in the women's game still refer to City as just "Bristol".

I noticed Stephen Warnock did a similar thing, and I'd have expected better of him having known of the different Bristol teams. Unless he deliberately called City "Bristol" when doing punditry in the men's game...

I did my level 1 coaching badge with Natasha Harding.  Quite a ferocious character.  She actually scored the winner away to Barcelona then got the penalty at home when we knocked them out.

Good player but bit of a gobshite.