IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

Only Aspin, Connolly, Rodgers remain from the starting XI against West Ham. Marckese unable to play against her parent club. Harrison & Morgan not in the squad at all - potentially being saved for this Sunday. Woolley returns but is on the bench

KO 7pm.

I'm not at the game (I'm saving my trip for the WSL fixture) so will be watching on FA Player

F-gsYVHWYAA1fG4?format=jpg&name=medium

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Amazing how far away we are now from recreating a fixture like this, how did we get so badly left behind 

It's amazing to see how quickly things have changed, also could you imagine those prices being charged now? 

FB_IMG_1699696828479.jpg

I don’t think the Lansdown’s have any interest in the women. My belief is they only took Bristol Academy on when Rovers left the EFL for a while, because they would have looked such dinosaurs if they forced the club to go to somewhere like Swindon or Cheltenham. They have done the minimum they can get away with until the last Euros suddenly made them realise that there might be a market for it. Even this summer the CEO left and no recruitment of any other sort appeared to happen until a new one was in place, which probably didn’t give Lauren much time to have a cohesive squad at the start of the season. The very long summer break could have been used to get some togetherness going if recruitment hadn’t been left until preseason was beginning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smiths-aston-villa-press-conference/

Some good updates from this press conference. Confirmed that Satara Murray is currently out injured (I did notice she was missing from the last couple of games), Jamie-Lee Napier picked up something in the warm-up against Arsenal but could be fit for Sunday, and that she hasn't met Liam Manning yet - but said that he needed the time to settle & focus on his team ahead of the game against QPR

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Amazing how far away we are now from recreating a fixture like this, how did we get so badly left behind 

It's amazing to see how quickly things have changed, also could you imagine those prices being charged now? 

FB_IMG_1699696828479.jpg

Yes, it seems like a lifetime ago but it's only eight years. Eight years, but in some ways it is a different life. How the women's game has grown.

I remember it well, a rare opportunity to play at the Gate for the Academy in those semi-professional days. A crowd of about 2,500 was it? Some familiar names on the teamsheet, a few who have since gone on to higher things while most didn't. Mary Earps (yes, the present England number 1) had a great game and made a superb save top left in front of the boarded section that was to become the new South Stand. Down to a deflected goal, Tash Harding was fouled (by Vicki Losada?) for a penalty and Nicki Watts fired home in the 83rd minute, giving the girls a 2-1 R16 win over two legs.

It was a famous win in Europe for the club (albeit in the formative era) and a headline result for the newly-appointed Dave Edmondson. The team was:

Earps
Rose (c)
Matthews
McCatty
Dykes
James
Ingle
Harding
Yorston
Natalia

Subs:
Evans A (GK)
Keka
Laura Del Rio
Brown
Evans G
Simmonds-Bird
Hurst

Some names to remember there.

The thought that we could win against the Barcelona of today is somewhat fanciful, although we have moved on enormously in terms of club structure and investment in comparison. It just goes to show how time and football has changed - and how much more of an old man I feel too!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Parkwaymom said:

I don’t think the Lansdown’s have any interest in the women. My belief is they only took Bristol Academy on when Rovers left the EFL for a while, because they would have looked such dinosaurs if they forced the club to go to somewhere like Swindon or Cheltenham. They have done the minimum they can get away with until the last Euros suddenly made them realise that there might be a market for it. Even this summer the CEO left and no recruitment of any other sort appeared to happen until a new one was in place, which probably didn’t give Lauren much time to have a cohesive squad at the start of the season. The very long summer break could have been used to get some togetherness going if recruitment hadn’t been left until preseason was beginning. 

To be fair, SL and his wife attended quite a few games around 10 years ago at the Stoke Gifford Stadium.

9 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

To be fair, SL and his wife attended quite a few games around 10 years ago at the Stoke Gifford Stadium.

Maybe I misread that and there’s more to do with him becoming less personally involved in all areas of the business over that period. As has been mentioned women’s football has moved on a a rapid rate and any minor lack of engagement results in being left behind. 

• Like 1

Harrison makes her first start of the season, Marckese returns to goal, Morgan is playing in defence. Napier unfortunately misses out today.

Woolley could make her first WSL appearance this season today if she comes on. Aspin, Connolly & Rodgers start again having done so last Sunday & on Thursday in the Conti Cup

KO 2pm, live on FA Player if you're not at Ashton Gate. I'm in Frankfurt, Germany right now so I won't be able to watch the game (I'm about to watch my NFL team New England Patriots play!)

F-vDL43WkAAAENy?format=jpg&name=medium

Just now, RedRock said:

Gotta save that one … 0-2.

Pity. We have some players that could compete look strong, composed with skills, but are carrying some that look like they’re running a treacle and tragically, make so many unforced errors.

Yep.

You can't really argue with the score, we've been miles behind in the second half.