IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

• Admin

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Lauren Smith. 

Setting up with five across the back against a team like Villa was a really negative tactic and ultimately resulted in us struggling to keep the ball up the top end of the pitch. 

That was a game we couldn't afford to lose in the scheme of the whole season. 

On another topic, have the rugby lines ever been so evident at a football match before? 

Screenshot_20231112_154016_The FA Player.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phantom said:

Setting up with five across the back against a team like Villa was a really negative tactic and ultimately resulted in us struggling to keep the ball up the top end of the pitch. 

On another topic, have the rugby lines ever been so evident at a football match before? 

The rugby lines were right in my sight line and definitely not covered as they were last time.

On the tactics I very much agree, it felt after a few attempts to be positive in the first 15-20 mins city (consciously or not) seemed to set up to take a draw. It felt like only a matter of time before villa would score as players tired.

Dissappointing to lose to a fellow struggler. Really was a relegation six-pointer today and sadly we didn't keep the advantage from the win last week at West Ham. I have long thought that Villa are in a somewhat false position as their squad is better than the table shows, a touch of the 'too good to go down' if you will. However, we set our stall out right from the whistle as a 5-4-1 out and barely did anything else all game. For the opening period we looked tight and determined, the defence proving able to squeeze out Villa's attacks comfortably. Whilst we had some impact of getting upfield and carving out a chance there was hope. Furness had a dipping volley that was just tipped over, but shots were limited and diminished as time went on.

With Ffion Morgan starting at fullback, she kept her opponent at bay well and also managed to raid up the wing on a few occasions, giving box-to-box effort. The centre backs had a pretty firm grip and it was even to begin with. Marckese did well until clashing with the post and having to go off just before the half. Meanwhile it was great to see Abi Harrison back - even if she was at the unfamiliar position of left half and lasted an hour. She did well and tried to get on the attack at every moment. Rachel Furness was busy in the middle and kept prompting her teammates. Both were taken off in the second half and it left the middle of the park to Villa.

What was apparent was the need to keep the ball and make progress, and that was what we lacked - particularly as time went on. Having locked in the 5-4-1, we tended to break up an attack and boot it upfield - only to have it returned immediately. We had no outlet, gifting the ball back too often. Almost inevitably, we cracked later in the second half; former Robin Ebony Salmon applied the second late on.

It was illustrating to have 4,400 at the Gate today. Seems we have a bigger Lioness Spotters fanbase than City fans in town. It is also looking like the WSL has two distinct sections: the 'haves' at the top, the 'have nots' at the bottom - a situation not totally unheard of, but it will be focussing the minds a little more now. With other results not unfavourable, we still have a long way to go. A long season, no doubt.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Pitch looked awful with all the white lines all over it. I know there was rugby less than 24hrs prior but zero effort to cover them. Embarassing when you see tweets of how nice the pitch was looking in BS7. 

At least we kept Rachel Daly from scoring. She was a class above anyone else on the pitch and also puts herself about a bit, in a good way.

Thought we looked good for a point, Ebony Salmon changed the game though.

Not sure what's going on with the lack of bodies to get the ball once out of play, the Villa keeper had to go to the corner flag to get one first half, embarrassing.

Would have thought it was inevitable that City would start with the 5-4-1 as I'm sure it is how they set up for the last three games, a win over West Ham and two narrow defeats against Arsenal in League and Cup.

The plan may have been to stay in the game for as long as possible, don't concede silly goals at bad time and try to catch Villa on the break. However "the breaks" didn't come often enough and aside from Furniss's volley, there wasn't much else tbh. Add in two bad breaks in Marckese's injury and a deflected first goal and it wasn't to be their day.

Others have said this too so not controversial but there's very little pace going forward aside from Ffion Morgan. I like seeing her play more as a winger but that means shuffling the defence again which isn't ideal. She brings a freshness and energy when she attacks and she's a very good player but we don't get to see that in a 5-4-1 unless she is the wide right player of the 4, and not the 5. 

Given that City are one point off ninth place with a goal difference that is reasonably within those above and with only a quarter of the season gone, all is far from lost. Only one team go down, it doesn't have to be City. 

Final thought, I'd have loved to have seen Aimee Palmer in this team. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Would have thought it was inevitable that City would start with the 5-4-1 as I'm sure it is how they set up for the last three games, a win over West Ham and two narrow defeats against Arsenal in League and Cup.

The plan may have been to stay in the game for as long as possible, don't concede silly goals at bad time and try to catch Villa on the break. However "the breaks" didn't come often enough and aside from Furniss's volley, there wasn't much else tbh. Add in two bad breaks in Marckese's injury and a deflected first goal and it wasn't to be their day.

Others have said this too so not controversial but there's very little pace going forward aside from Ffion Morgan. I like seeing her play more as a winger but that means shuffling the defence again which isn't ideal. She brings a freshness and energy when she attacks and she's a very good player but we don't get to see that in a 5-4-1 unless she is the wide right player of the 4, and not the 5. 

Given that City are one point off ninth place with a goal difference that is reasonably within those above and with only a quarter of the season gone, all is far from lost. Only one team go down, it doesn't have to be City. 

Final thought, I'd have loved to have seen Aimee Palmer in this team. 

good assessment.

Re: Palmer, I've said before not replacing her with another sitting midfielder who will shield the defence, break up play and can hit an accurate pass is Smith's biggest failing as they knew Palmer was going before the end of last season. Although decent players in their own right none, of the midfielders she brought it can do that role.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, old_eastender said:

good assessment.

Re: Palmer, I've said before not replacing her with another sitting midfielder who will shield the defence, break up play and can hit an accurate pass is Smith's biggest failing as they knew Palmer was going before the end of last season. Although decent players in their own right none, of the midfielders she brought it can do that role.

Agree 100%. The value of a CDM like Palmer is that you don't need to play five at the back & this would release Morgan further forward for her pace and energy.

Think we are also missing a LB somewhere (or at least a capable one) as Napier is really a LM, Layzell is a LCB and Mustaki can play both roles but excels at neither. 

• Like 3

Links to audio from Lauren Smith's press conference...

Biggest takeaway from what Lauren Smith has said is that Kaylan Marckese is injured and won't be available for this Sunday's game. Liv Clark will start

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smiths-everton-press-conference/

Edited by shahanshahan

50 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Links to audio from Lauren Smith's press conference...

Biggest takeaway from what Lauren Smith has said is that Kaylan Marckese is injured and won't be available for this Sunday's game. Liv Clark will start

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smiths-everton-press-conference/

Oh dear, that's a blow.  The 2nd goal for Villa was really poor keeping by Clark.

Yes, came to us from Chelsea after a start in Cardiff. Played here from 2014–2015, in 27 appearances before going to Liverpool. She has also notched up 120-odd appearances for Wales.

When you consider how few games the top women's teams play per season, that's some achievement.

• Like 1