IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

Looks like a 5-4-1 again, with the loss of Furness in the middle. I hope the team has some flexibility and scope for a change if needed. Harrison needs to be more involved and play more central in my eyes if we are to have any success. Another crucial game, might just be happy to take a point here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Looks like a 5-4-1 again, with the loss of Furness in the middle. I hope the team has some flexibility and scope for a change if needed. Harrison needs to be more involved and play more central in my eyes if we are to have any success. Another crucial game, might just be happy to take a point here.

Happy? Ecstatic I'd think!

Already 1 down, poor defending and weak goalkeeping not a good combination.

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Personally I don’t think there is as much interest in women’s football (yet) as the relative media attention it receives would suggest. 

The Bristol City attendance is very good though considering the competition.

Approaching Gas mens team levels of attendance..

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Waiting for claims that Teds only go along on the basis of trying to beat their attendances 

Given that their average is 7,820 (which is good for them), I don't think the ladies need our help to eventually catch them up. Another few 12k attendances at AG should do it.

As an aside, their average is 13th in L1, just behind Carlisle and Leyton Orient.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances

HT 1-1. A great strike by Amy Rodgers just before HT bringing an equaliser.

For the first 30 mins, it looked just a question of time before Everton went 2 up. Clark, whose saved but knocked the ball straight back to the Everton forward for their first, spilt 2 other crosses that could have resulted in goals. Our midfield without Furness looked non-existent, frequently caught in possession, weak in the challenge and almost every forward pass not finding a teammate.

We did have a decent spell in the last 10 mins or so, winning 5 corners which looked to offer us the best way back into it, before some determined play by Harrison set-up Rodgers to strike. Just before HT Clark actually managed to hold onto a cross too!

Everton look most likely, but who knows all to play for in the second half.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Personally I don’t think there is as much interest in women’s football (yet) as the relative media attention it receives would suggest. 

The Bristol City attendance is very good though considering the competition.

If there was media attention and attendances hadn’t grown in recent times then maybe there wasn’t interest to start with. But the increased Media focus and attention on Women’s football and subsequent rise in attendances suggest there always was.  

I believe Utd v city today at old Trafford had sold over 45,000 tickets as of Friday , unbelievable really on the other hand having family from Manchester and staying up there a fair bit there enthusiasm for football is so much more than us down here , even when working up there nearly every topic of conversation either starts with football or very quickly ends up there .

one quite funny thing is when they know I’m from Bristol they ask me who I support , my answer is there’s only one team in Bristol mate - there response is always city fan then are you 😂😂😂

• Flames 1

33 minutes ago, redkev said:

I believe Utd v city today at old Trafford had sold over 45,000 tickets as of Friday , unbelievable really on the other hand having family from Manchester and staying up there a fair bit there enthusiasm for football is so much more than us down here , even when working up there nearly every topic of conversation either starts with football or very quickly ends up there .

one quite funny thing is when they know I’m from Bristol they ask me who I support , my answer is there’s only one team in Bristol mate - there response is always city fan then are you 😂😂😂

Arsenal have had over 54,000 this season (a record WSL attendance).

FT 2-2. A much better display by our girls in the second half, weak goalkeeping gifted Everton their 2-1 lead but a a very good angled finish by Thestrup earned a perhaps deserved equaliser. Might have had the chance to win it at the death but Jones, who was pretty dismal throughout, over hit a simple pass that would have had Morgan (who had a good game) in on goal.

Still hope this season, looks like WHU & Everton will be the 2 teams in the relegation scrap with us. 

Edited by old_eastender
  • Like 1

I think the attendances must be seen after the end of the season. We had 12,000 for Arsenal's visit and about the same has been sold for the forthcoming game against Man Utd. In between there are less away fans, and so the figures are somewhat skewed at the present. Certainly, the trend across the WSL (and some of the WC clubs) is for a growing fanbase. I still am curious as to the composition of WSL crowds: more family based, younger fans; but a growing number of men watching too, not just as fathers.

Departing Chelsea boss Emma Hayes was first to go on record saying it is about time the prices for these games went up in comparison. I take that to be a sign of the increasing presence and regard that the womem's game has now. Is that a good thing? TIme will tell if it is merely convergent evolution.

• Like 2