IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

• Admin
6 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Yep, the team haven't won yet at Ashton Gate this season. Didn't even win any of the Conti Cup group games at the RHPC either

Only win so far this season was away at West Ham

I completely misread the post, I thought it was referring to the Bescot still 

22 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Coach is organised by the SC&T & football club, with tickets only £16

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/aston-villa-women-away-set-for-priority-sale/

Coach tickets are now £8 as the fixture is on this year's Green Football Weekend. A similar arrangement was done last year when prices for coach travel for Preston away for the men's team were halved

• Like 2

18 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Yep, the team haven't won yet at Ashton Gate this season. Didn't even win any of the Conti Cup group games at the RHPC either

Only win so far this season was away at West Ham

I'm afraid having not strengthened by signing any new outfield players in the Jan window it could stay that way. Very disappointed by the lack of ambition, especially when we have the 3rd highest attendances in the WSL.

Seems a risky strategy if West Ham and others are strengthening too.  Doesn’t feel like it would need much investment to secure our WSL place for next season.  The existing squad has improved no doubt over the last few months but you have to think we need a couple more quality additions or we’ll be in trouble.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I'm afraid having not strengthened by signing any new outfield players in the Jan window it could stay that way. Very disappointed by the lack of ambition, especially when we have the 3rd highest attendances in the WSL.

As mentioned in her press conference yesterday, Lauren Smith said she's looking to bring in a couple more players in the window, which closes at the end of January

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

With all this talk of players coming in, one has headed out. On loan, anyway...

Surely they have to bring in an outfielder or three now! I was hoping they'd sign Rachel Rowe after Reading went down, maybe she could now come on loan from Rangers, barring injury as she doesn't appear to have played much for them so far this season.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 15:51, Eco said:

Surely they have to bring in an outfielder or three now! I was hoping they'd sign Rachel Rowe after Reading went down, maybe she could now come on loan from Rangers, barring injury as she doesn't appear to have played much for them so far this season.

Yep, Rachel Rowe is a name mentioned by some of the fanbase, especially on the Vixencast!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I see we lost 1-0, to Liverpool's only shot on target.

Will we ever win at home?

I thought we played well, had decent possession but just poor in the final third. I think we had two shots on target all game and one of those was from goalkeeper! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I see we lost 1-0, to Liverpool's only shot on target.

Will we ever win at home?

Unlikely, if we don't get at least a couple of new quality players in to strengthen before the Jan window ends. 

No doubting the hard work and endeavour the current side have got, but (kinda like the men) need some extra quality badly, or else it will be a quick return to the championship and a great opportunity to consolidate as a WSL side missed. 

32 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Unlikely, if we don't get at least a couple of new quality players in to strengthen before the Jan window ends. 

No doubting the hard work and endeavour the current side have got, but (kinda like the men) need some extra quality badly, or else it will be a quick return to the championship and a great opportunity to consolidate as a WSL side missed. 

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Why is everything Bristol Sport so ****** shit ?

It does make me a bit angry. You got to feel sorry for Lauren Smith & the team. There would be absolute carnage on here if we got promoted and were 'backed' as well in relative terms.

It definitely show a lack of leadership and forethought. We've put ourselves on the gravy-train of top-end women's football, and want to get off at the first stop. Remarkably short-sighted and stupid. LS should get out while she can on her own terms, because at the very least, it must be a soul destroying position trying keep the side in the WSL with no real commitment from the hierarchy. I think they effectively capped the spend below what was realistically needed to maintain a place in the WSL. Since BCWFC sit under BCFC, I'd be interested to see who is responsible for this.

• Like 4

Another performance that is more about frustration than disappointment. We seem to be falling into a way of getting the better of the stats except the scoreline. Whilst it is not that concerning for the FA Cup, it does put the rest of the season into sharper focus.

I thought the side got to grips with Liverpool from the start and could have made greater gains, but lacked a quality touch at the business end of the pitch. Better creativity or better movement would have been the springboard for scoring. Sadly, we didn't have that touch today; Thestrup was often isolated by a competent defence. Chances were few throughout most of the game, which largely saw both teams canel each other out.

For a change, the starting formation departed from the 5-4-1, with Powell and Mustaki able to roam into the wing-half positions. That gave some extra width which was helpful. In the middle, Rogers was at the heart of most of the battles; Symes fizzled at times but found progress difficult. Abi Harrison, starting more right-sided for a change, had a few useful moves but it was disappointing to see her taken off at the half.

Defensively, Connolly was commanding and for long stretches of the game Liverpool hardly had a look at goal. Yañez, making her debut, had little to do of note - such was the flow. However, when the opposing player was sent off in the middle of the second half it didn't really make too much difference - Liverpool were already in a resolute mindset and could manage. They even brought on Flint and Van de Sanden and left two up top, with their pace a threat.

But the decisive moment occurred just a few minutes before time at a set-piece, when the unequal numbers was less of a factor. You might call it a lucky break but that doesn't stop it counting. Once that went in, the girls pushed forward more energetically but couldn'd find that touch. Also disappointing was the crowd of a 'mere' 2,500. In the past that would have been considered fabulous but, as a measure of progress, it looks a little underwhelming today. Clearly the draw of the FA Cup is faltering in the women's game too.

In terms of new recruits in the January window, I don't expect much to happen. With the much smaller talent pool in the women's game, there will be fewer to pick from. I also note that the club as a whole is looking at a deficit of £22 million - there won't be much spare for the girls, probably. In comparison, I see Man City are to build a bespoke women's facility at their training ground - a cool £10 million is going into that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67943010 . How the other half live...

• Like 3

The subsitution of Abi Harrison was almost certainly down to injury; as she walked towards the tunnel at half time, she was holding the back of her left leg. Could have been a hamstring pull and taken off as a precaution?

As regards the crowd, it was more or less what I thought it would be. The men's and women's team probably have quite a few crossover fans & the men play twice this week; it's the first game after Christmas & before pay day; the weather was nice (albeit a tad cool) today after about 25 years of dark, gloomy weather so maybe the walk-up numbers were down. Any number of reasons why it was down but that said, this game would have been 600-700 at the RHPC last year, it's four times that at Ashton Gate this year. That's rapid progress. 

• Like 1